Smooth riding Flywheel alternatives (for *really* worn asphalt)

I have a set of 83mm 75a ABEC11 Flywheels on my board. Can anybody recommend drop-in replacements (clones included) that’ll handle really worn asphalt well?

I was thinking 97mm 75a but I’m not sure what other options are available.

Thanks

1 Like

http://metro-board.com/shop/97mm-abec11-metroboard-clear-red-wheels/

Clones are usually not as soft as genuine Abec11 flywheels because they don’t have the same chemistry.

1 Like

What about some MBS wheels, great for rougher roads.

1 Like

will the MBS actually give you a smoother ride or do they just have more traction because of their shape?

1 Like

I have a good set of clones, but my flywheels are better. 78a’s are good, but the 75a’s are better. Original flywheels are hard to beat.

1 Like

at some point you can only go pneumatics I guess - until then 90mm + softest duro is probably about the best you can do.

90mm 75A abecs is also not the holy grail on its own - on non supportpin trucks like caliber IIs you can tune also with softer bushing setups and soft urethane pivot cups. shock pads also work a little … finally, a flexy board helps a lot! if the ground gets rough I move my feet inwards for higher damping, on good roads I move them towards the trucks for more precise steering until I have the correct carving energy return timing for a more energetic carving experience.

2 Likes

The Metroboard wheels are supposedly genuine abec11’s, probably custom made for Metroboard.

1 Like

Really hope MBS comes with a softer compound for 100mm wheels.

I’d would also love some 4" or 4.5" tops pneumatic wheels, but nothing on the market at the moment.

1 Like

My absolute favorite setup is legit Flywheel 97’s! Roll over just about everything (small rocks, crappy sidewalks, small children (unattended))… But this was also on a drop deck subsonic/GBomb which the drop brackets flex a bit and take some of the bump out too.

Soft thane and bigger wheels seems like the best combination for bumps and rolling over stuff.

GL!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions. @JLabs I like the look of the MBS wheels. Do you know if they offer a smooth ride or are they just able to ride over stones etc. with ease?

@whitepony Pneumatics would be ideal but I’d like to keep as much of my existing drive-train as possible.

Has anybody tested MBS All-Terrain wheels versus 97mm 75a ABEC11 flywheels?

I really like Bataleon snowboards :smiley:

1 Like

For bad roads the MBS will feel better. 1. Theyre bigger, 2. they got more grip and 3. they tend to be softer :smiley: