Snappy Chariot | Jet Hot Potato deck | Caliber II 50º | 190kv R Spec 6372 | Spacecell

No not just the look. The truck has more travel in the front and the cables inside the motor will fail. We had some cases in the forum. Wit the loop you get the movement into the rotation point of the truck.

1 Like

So, I haven’t started building anything yet as I am still waiting in a few of the key components. By last night I thought I would charge up the spacecell since it’s just sitting there.

When I plugged it in the power connector came loose inside the shrink wrap. It’s still visible from the outside (photo) but it’s loose inside. I seem to remember these being held inplace with hot glue maybe? At any rate it’s now loose and will need to be reattached. @onloop I am comfortable doing what ever you suggest to reattach. I assume you are okay with me cutting a small hole to relocate and add hot glue? Any comments appreciated.

1 Like

So I’ve sold the Topspeed and picked up a Jet Hot Potato. At 35.5" I’d call it the bigger brother of the Jet Spud. It does however come with an unsightly dazed and confused style graphic. One word for it… tacky!

So I got to work with the sander, measured up some new mount holes (brining it down to 24.5" WB). I wasn’t overly thrilled with the lack of of actionable kick on the tail so the new mount holes helped to shift things back. I added a thin layer of primer/filler and satin black enamel. Coupled with the black Calibers, Khiro shock pads and Evolve wheels looks great.

I took it out on the road to push around and get a feel for the setup and I am impressed all around. Bones Super Reds and these Evolve wheels make for a sweet rolly rally experience. I did however encounter my first taste of wheel bite… OUCH! Granted the trucks are on the loose end of the spectrum, but it caught me by surprise and tossed me onto my ass. It could be due to the shift of the wheel base ( about an inch at each end), but based on the burn marks I don’t think it made much of a difference. I thought the 1/4" shock pads would give me enough clearance but I might need a touch more. Any advice on the setup here would be welcomed. Although in looking at the angle I must have been carving… its pretty tweaked.

All I need now is my pulley kit and VESC!

4 Likes

I love those evolve wheels !! Where did you buy them ? Straight from their us website ? I thought they are selling parts only to Evolve users.

You should be fine just placing an order online like I did. I would think It would be tough to monitor that sort of thing. I imagine they aren’t as concerned with things like wheels, bearings etc.

1 Like

Cool. What’s is the urethane quality ?

Very tidy looking and at 76a I can actually see then deflect a little when under load. No regrets from my end. I

Let the light shine through! Tricky to accurately line up and make these cuts but it’s looking good.

4 Likes

So the board is 95% complete!!! Final elements are locktite on the drive train, drilling out for the final enclosure fixings and grip tape.

I took it for a 15 min blast last night and it was excellent. I’ll let the following tell the remaining photos tell the story of the closing chapters.

Cut down the Hot Potato by and 1" of each end bringing the total length down to 33 1/5". Scolloped 2 ply out underneath the motor mouth to increase clearance and extended the wheel wells out.

Fancy Dremel work on the trucks ( thanks for the video @longhairedboy) to fit the Enertion pulley

Added a combo of open and closed cell foam to allow the space cell to conjure to the deck cleanly. This is actually just your standard weather striping but it does the job Created some "jumper wires to extend the R-Sepc wires around to the VESC.This gave some practice before I soldered the 5.5 bullets on the to the VESC. Since I didn’t have a 3rd hand device, this tape and pliers method worked well for me. Just fit!

And the (nearly) finish product. Its been a very rewarding process! I am already thinking about the next build and what I would do to improve the end result :slight_smile:

Thanks to the whole crew here on the forum for the helping hands and trouble shooting along the way!

g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVbnFxiHohY

23 Likes

its beautiful!

3 Likes

Nice looking build! Big fan of the black on black, hides the enclosure to board transition really well. If you take a black sharpe to the screw heads securing the motor wires, they’ll look anodized and blend in a little better.

Nice work! The routing of the phase wires looks pretty clean.

1 Like

i want a potato… damn

Yeah man thanks… that was the intention. Ideally it would be great to have orange on anyof the blue elements orange to match the Evolve hubs!

It looks like I have a bit tweaking needed to get it running right.

1. At first I though it was the region shutoff, but even with the depleted battery I get drop offs when breaking under load. For example, doing 25km and trying to apply a heavy break, it starts to but then drops off and coasts. Brakes gone! Releasing the break and reapplying helps a bit but, its usually because I am going a bit slower at this point.

This is my current configuration, any thoughts in what could be causing this?

Increase your max input voltage to 57, some people have had problems at 42. Couldn’t the bat max be higher? The space cell can go to 40. I’ve never used a VESC but these are two things that I can see. A search might help you as well

1 Like

This is beautiful man! Really clean work here. What grip tape are you thinking of using?

1 Like

Nice work man! Looks awesome!

1 Like

Nice board!

1 Like

Man, this looks awesome!!

1 Like