SOLD: Kaly.NYC Gear Drive for Trampa w/ SK8 6374 192kv Motors & Evolve Tires

Make sure your backlash of the gears are set right. More backlash than correct will result in alot more noise

1 Like

What type of lube should I use? Also where’s the port? :sweat_smile:

@FredrikHems what do you mean by backlash?

Have you read this thread? Ernesto decribes what backlash is anf how to set the correct backlash. My guess is that you have too much, which makes the drive way louder than necessary.
2 Likes

Awesome, I’ll read it thoroughly, thanks!

Do not fully pack the drive with lubricant I put 30ml on each drive, if you need a bit more just add around 10 ml

1 Like

Do I need more judging from the picture above?

No that is ok

1 Like

I wonder why it’s so loud when other people say it’s supposed to be quiet :thinking:

if it’s not the lubrication, it has to be the backlash. can you make a video?

1 Like

I can when I get home again, but @Kaly put it together himself… I’d assume it’s “correct”?

Well, they run old ingear style system which is loud and everyone knows it (Also you comparing open gearbox and closed lubricated) :wink:

You can check @mackann videos on latest gear profile he runs on abec’s

Also, the whole London crew was amazed by the difference of sound from FatBoy SS (which runs new gear profiles which was designed with help from professional transmission engineers)

@Arzamenable which one version you have v1 or v2 if v2 check your meshing because v2 shouldn’t be loud at all. If it’s v1 then it is louder than new ones :slight_smile:

Because even 1mm mesh difference can make a lot of noise difference.

1 Like

3 Likes

During the group ride last Saturday, did you think mine was as loud as yours? I’m using a different grease that what’s suggested by Ernesto.

You installed the motors, right? Then you were the one that sat the backlash. Its impossible for kaly to do this for you, unless you bought the gear drive with including motors. :grinning:

No, I bought a prebuilt Kaly. I would have assumed Ernesto put everything together

1 Like

I wasn’t really paying attention to be honest haha…

At least that means it isn’t annoyingly loud to be noticed even when you weren’t paying attention.

Yeah. Mine is though, unfortunately…

1 Like

The noise level of the drive will feel louder for the rider on the board than for someone riding a few feet away, this is due to a Doppler effect and the way sound behaves on a moving source.

The best way to judge the noise level is by letting somebody else ride the board and you stay a few feet away to assess noise.

3 Likes

side story and then let’s close the thread :slight_smile:

I hear all these yet my younger brother cannot hear the last two (OG metalhead).

Conversely, @boardman built a board for me using Hobbywing hubs that emit a high-pitched frequency that I cannot hear - yet they’ll drive certain people out of the room if you engage the ‘brake’. Richard can hear the motors, and pretty much anyone in their early 20’s can hear them, too.

idk if gear drives emit these same frequencies. Sofu and I can compare the two and figure out the difference if any.

…but I’m keeping these anti-millennial hub motors lol lock it up!

1 Like