SOLIDEOGLORIA Modular Flex Enclosure [AU] -- SENDING FREE SAMPLES

Hey dude, it looks like you have put a lot of work in to your product. It looks great, albeit over priced and I buy heaps of exy shit. As you are not a “Regular” you can not use the forum to do a “Pre Order”-“Group Buy” or any other sale by any name that involves you collecting money from members prior to production. I’d suggest you read up on the forum rules and edit your topic before @Namasaki or @treenutter drop bye and sort it out for you.

Good luck with your product development! I have moved your topic for you to the correct category for your user level :smiley:

2 Likes

Copy that.

1 Like

As @Cobber stated, You may not organize a group buy or take Pre-orders though the forum unless you are a Level 3 Regular.

However, you may sell your ready to ship products in the new items category as a Level 2 member.

1 Like

I’ve seen some of people run pre orders without being lvl 3?

Thanks Nama, I thought it was level 3 for new items/not level 2… me dumb-dumb :clown_face: Was in “wanted” to start, I thought Solideo had picked that as he didn’t have access…

I’ll put that right for you Solideo :+1: GL mate!

They shouldn’t @moon moon, rule is here to protect all of us so we don’t miss out on goods from well meaning individuals who get over whelmed. A Level 3 also logs in everyday, so should have better communication. Let’s not derail Solideo’s sale topic any more though :wink:

2 Likes

If you would have brought it to our attention as @Cobber did here, then we would have put a stop to it. There are not many mods and we can’t be on here 24/7 scouring the forum for infractions. So we depend on the community to help. I currently have 91 new topics that I have not had time to look at yet. I check in everyday but I still can’t catch everything.

4 Likes

And fine work it is too! Maybe it’s time for @onloop to elevate an esk8 junkie or two

[Updated OP - Poverty Relief. PM me for details.]

design is more so the deciding factor i agree but if youre using the same design, which you would be, and its a 4.8% to 1.4% different that’s not tiny but over 3x as much no? but i bet if you added some slight ribs to the boxes’ top youd add a ton of stiffness and as you say the design is most influential on stiffness.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but for a 12s4p 7 enclosure unit, I have to somehow fit between 1330-1210 mm (depending on overlap) beneath a deck? One would need a board like 5ft long, lol. Also, I noticed to talk of the prices and then being reduced, but from what I see, the price for a 7 piece enclosure is unchanged from the earlier prices and the reduced ones, in USD at least, remaining $208.61…

Thanks for pointing that out @uigiroux. Merci beacoup. Ca va? Etes vous Francais?

[OP edited - re. updated new price and measurements of connected modules.]

Small, math error. My mistake.

Typo: [(190mm x 2) - 20mm] = 220mm.

Correction: [(120mm x 2) - 20mm] = 220mm.

Total length of enclosure using a 20mm tongue overlap: 4 modules = 420mm (16.5") 5 modules = 520mm (20.5") 6 modules = 620mm (24.4") 7 modules = 720mm (28.3") 8 modules = 820mm (32.3")

[N.b. If you want them closer, I can cut off up to ~20mm per tongue (and groove) for a super close fit. It will still work, but I’d recommend cutting off no more than ~15mm, for at least a ~5mm tongue to remain.]

1 Like

Lol that makes much more sense now, :smile:

1 Like

@Hummie A 1.4% elongation means ‘101.4%’ (one hundred and one point four percent), and likewise, 1.4% means 104.8%. Meaning that the material stretches to 100% (standard resting rate) and then stretches a bit more until 101.4% or 104.8% (before snapping). – N.b. elongation is not so relevant as the enclosures will not get ‘stretched’ apart… But anyway… I could be mistaken, and a structural engineer could clarify…

Or, in other words, I can 101.4m until failure. You can run 104.8m until failure.

So, no. It is not ‘3 times’ the difference, not at all. It’s more like a 3% difference. – As I said, his graph is misleading because the lines appear 3x different, while the math is very very far from that. After all it’s an educational video explaining basic theory.

But theory requires application… And in this application, the tongues do not stretch on the Solideogloria Modular Flex Enclosure unlike, on a one-piece enclosure, where the connections (consisting of multiple laminations) are forced to bend and snap (exactly as per KYLE.ENGINEERS video). The Solideogloria tongues will ‘float’ without suffering any strain.

Karate chop comparison:

See Line ‘FC2’ vs ‘FC3’ on the chart as a rough illustration. I hope that illustrates how small a difference it is. But, yes, you’re quite right that fibre has superior properties re. elongation, but as mentioned, it’s a very small if not negligibly small of a difference in this application.

But when laminated and bent… That’s another story…

Wood comparison: Let’s take a look at wood bending. Below are the two main methods. Focus on the ‘outer tension’ part to visualise how a one-piece enclosure (with multiple laminated layers) WILL CRACK, when the outer layer is too brittle. Imagine if it was a panel of glass, while the inside is flexible fibreglass.

Ikea%20Poang%20Armchair

Therefore, it is possible for a carbon outer layer to withstand flex, given proper construction (light and not loaded with resin), but even then it’s not ideal. If it’s to be a one-piece enclosure, it’s better to be 100% carbon. But that would be quite expensive. However, as we know fibre performs better, and is cheaper, it’s better to have 100% fibre.The Solideogloria enclosures is free of this problem, so it’s of no real consequence. We can use either material, or both materials together!

Are you pulling my leg? :wink:

No, no, you misunderstand. The point is that the Solideogloria system is plenty strong, far stronger than a one-piece enclosure, due to the design having small 2s4p box modules, unlike a long elongated bog box in a one-piece with a large weak patch in the centre (about the size of a small dinner plate, or 2).

I suggest you review the ‘Torsion Box’ above and study it carefully. – The multiple smaller boxes within the large frame is what gives a large table, or kitchen cabinets, house floors, house walls, bridge floors, etc, so much strength… They are really really really strong…

‘A threefold cord is not quickly broken.’ (Ecclesiastes 4:12)

Imagine thumping your fist upon a large moving box (for moving house etc), compared to small shoe box, or an even smaller box. The large box will collapse instantly on the first 1 or 2 thumps while the small would hold up much much longer.

Yes… of course… I could add ridges, but it would be overkill. Plus, the added detail makes it more annoying (and expensive) to produce. – I’ve already got a design for this, btw. Trust me it’s overkill. Not unless you’re Tony Hawke and you intend to thrash this enclosure in a professional way, like doing crazy stunts on Red Bull commercials… jumping off 1m+ drops and board-sliding on boulders… or are expecting your worst enemy to kick your enclosure with their steel-capped Timberlands… then… it’s overkill… PM me if you’re really interested and I’ll make one with ridges for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

“Wood comparison: Let’s take a look at wood bending. Below are the two main methods. Focus on the ‘outer tension’ part to visualise how a one-piece enclosure (with multiple laminated layers) WILL CRACK, when the outer layer is too brittle. Imagine if it was a panel of glass, while the inside is flexible fiberglass.”
imagine if it was less flexible carbon on the outside and I think it is similar.

I’m really not meaning to rip on your product and I like it a lot but just interested in the two material structure strength and think a lot of people think carbon is stronger while it ends up being weaker. looks good though. and you do both versions anyway. but maybe i’m wrong and carbon on the outside of glass is good but from what I read it seems not ideal design.

here’s some bits I read. but I’m no engineer and just shooting the shit and you do do the fiberglass version anyway so I hope you don’t take this as criticism of your product but maybe the carbon outside version isn’t as strong as just plain, cheaper, fiberglass. I’m surprised to find this myself.

"Material Young’s Modulus E Glass 30-40 Carbon Fiber 125-181 Kevlar® 70.5-112.4 Epoxy 3

The stiffness of Carbon Fiber, Kevlar® and Glass very different. Carbon Fiber is by far the stiffer of the composite materials.

The actual figures presented here are for comparison only. The important thing to take away is that Carbon Fiber is about twice as stiff as Kevlar, and about 5 times stiffer than glass."

"There are many types of Kevlar, glass, and carbon fiber and they all differ. The exact figures here are almost meaningless what is important is the relative stiffness.

The down side of the exceptional stiffness of carbon fiber is the fact that it tends to be more brittle. When it fails it tends to fail without showing much strain or deformation. One speaks of catastrophic failure."

“Fibreglass however being more flexible, it means that glass-fiber typically has a higher ultimate breaking point than a similarly shaped carbon fiber product, therefore having higher strength-to-weight ratio. In general it is a “tougher” material. The incredible rigidity of carbon makes it less capable of enduring certain abuses than fiberglass. I guess therefore you could say CF “more brittle””

"High strength-to-weight ratio

Also known as specific strength, this number allows you to compare materials of different mass for applications where resistance against breaking has priority. Being more flexible, it means that glassfiber typically has a higher ultimate breaking point than a similarly shaped carbon fiber product."

@Hummie Very good.

Except stiffness practically has no relevance to a flex enclosure in terms of the flex discussion. It does however keep the ‘box’ part of the discussion nice and hard, stiff, rigid, tense, strong, structured, etc, and “indestructible” as some have commented, making it quite unbreakable, thus preventing external objects from crushing the enclosure and damaging your electrics.

P.S. Some of my more reinforced prototypes are ‘stiffer’ and I would argue stronger than some shin pads I have owned, stuff that would take a sliding tackle at full running speed. I could make these thicker ones the norm, if people are more interested in this rather than thinness and lightness. I mean, at 33g or 35g, either one is very light as it is, so you may have a point having emphatic concerns for stiffness. Sufficient fibreglass reinforcement is the answer.

Yes, agreed (if you read carefully…). However, that is a broad statement you’ve made “carbon is not as strong as fibreglass”.

Horses for courses.

The Sydney Harbour Bridge is built out of combination of steel painted in grey paint. The paint is flexible but it can also crack and flake off, which it does (if you ever walk on it you see repaired paint everywhere). So you could say paint is no good, and that would be fair enough. The underlying steel has great ‘flex’ and ‘strength’ but the paint still cracks. But this is because the bridge is HUGE and takes all sorts of beatings like WIND, ATMOSPHERIC PRESSURE, and the MILLIONS OF CARS and TRAINS that vibrate along it per year… But on something like a steel gate, the paint would hardly come off…

… It all depends on the application… Horses for courses…

So, as a material choice, like fibre, steel works well. But as I’ve said, unless you’re Tony Hawke, just relax… the enclosure will hold up “a very long time”, longer than any others out there.

For the sake of argument, IF hypothetically, the harbour bridge were built out of 100% grey paint (without any steel), it could be just as strong, arguably. In reality, however, it would break after a few thousand cars rattled along on it.

Given your expressions of interest in fibre and concerns re. stiffness / strength (and flex too), my recommendation is to go with 100% fibreglass. You won’t be disappointed.

White / black vermicelli would be nice. I can make them opaque too if you prefer a shade of grey in between…

Later, I might make patterned fabric exteriors to bling them up. I think they’d look a treat!

Yes agreed.

Send me a graphic and let’s see if I can decoupage! Oh, so much potential!

has anyone recieved these? what are they like?

1 Like

This is the 1st batch. – They’re light, very strong, and flex at the joints.

For those undecided about material choice…

FREE SAMPLES: PM me your name and address and I’ll ship you a slice of an actual enclosure for your testing / analysis.

@Blacksheep PM received. What material & finish do you want?

Carbon fiber please and thanks

Samples laid! :slight_smile:

I’ve availed a selection of varied layers. There’s fibreglass, black carbon, and blue kevlar carbon to give you a feel.

Note: It won’t be nearly as pretty as a finished enclosure ready for sale (trimmed, sanded repeatedly, clear-coated, and polished, etc). It also won’t be as strong without the boxed sides (see torsion box above) to give it structural rigidity that a box offers… However, it will give you an overall feel of what a flat panel of the material is like; something for you to stress test!

I’ll slice these up in the next day or 2 – Be patient though as the cure time is taking longer in Winter, due to the cold and, humidity from massive rain storms in Sydney in recent few weeks. Water is everywhere… :sneezing_face:

Sorry about the blurry phone photos…

Samples___%204 Samples___%201 Samples___%202

2 Likes