Solved! Braking issue with fully charged battery

I think ur probably right. Either way, mellow defenitely packed more into their product than other sellers, so it’s not surprising that they took the time to make sure braking is always available

I have the same OVER_VOLTAGE braking issue with the space cell. However, my display recently stopped working so I can’t check at what percentage it fixes itself. Do you also get the OVER_VOLTAGE error when you rapidly press the throttle to full in short bursts?

I thought the vesc and braking at full charge was a risk because you can over charge the batteries and blow them up but the brakes worked fine until that happens:grinning:

Nope, just when I hit the breaks.

I recall hearing somewhere that the SpaceCell had some protection against that and it would only pose an issue if you started your ride braking down a big hill. Otherwise, once you start off, you deplete the battery enough that it shouldn’t pose an issue.

So I messed with my settings a bit and at 97% charge, I needed to set my Motor Min -10A to get it to brake without any errors. Once I got down to 95%, I could up that to -25A.

Just sent a message to Enertion. Thanks everyone for all the help. Definitely feel like I’m getting closer to figuring out all the issues with my setup.

so it’s a spacecell issue right because the vesc doesnt shut off the brakes when over charging from regen. I think if you use just the vesc and at full charge slam on brakes on a mountain and you dont burst into flames you can eventually hit your max voltage limit and then that shuts the board down. right? there are voltage spikes so maybe it would shut off before what the battery voltage really is.

Ha ha! Now I just need a mountain so I can test that theory out.

I have a space cell (the old one) here and my kids are using it since Sept. 2015, never had a single issue like this. Try to adjust the Motor min. (regen) to be -40 or lower.

It seems like you are having a problem with the vesc rather than the bms since you have recorded an “over voltage” fault. You should not be getting an over voltage fault since your max voltage is set to the default setting of 57 volts. Might have some faulty capacitors.

Works to lower the motor min, but I have to bring it down to -10. I’m thinking this is not the norm. I sent a message to Enertion Support. I’m sure they will have more insight.

Isn’t that a huge amount of amps to be going back into the battery? Or maybe that’s not where it goes. Is there somewhere yet that gives an expalanation of all the variables on the bldc program?

battery Regen is the field that controls current going back into battery, not motor Regen

So I can adjust the motor regen to what is comfortable as its not a risk while the battery side I should consider what my battery can take back?

It still seems a basic vesc guide isn’t around

The initial problem is not a space cell issue but a VESC issue. And those parameters are not difficult to understand, motor in/out, battery in/out and both can be different limits, where battery values are to be aligned with the BMS capabilities.

Since the the VESCs shows over voltage and the Volt limit is set to 57V it’s obviously a VESC issue like chaka’s mentioning, failing caps.

Is it not possible that bad cells are causing a voltage spike in the VESC during regen?

Ok let’s say I want to make the brakes stronger what are my variables? I dont necessarily think it’s hard but it’d be nice if all the options were explained in one place. Maybe they are and I can read it.

Just increase either or both as long as I don’t put more amps back to the battery than it can take? Can I have a higher number going to the battery than from the motor? If I have a huge battery can I have a huge back to battery number? Is there a limit on either variable?

I’m also having a problem with losing power when putting stress on the motor after I’ve been riding for awhile. I was thinking that was a heat issue with my VESC. Installed some heatsinks, but I haven’t been able to test it out yet. Without the heatsinks, with my board cold, I could go about a half mile on a 2.5% grade without issue, then power starts to cut out and my board will be limited to a crawl. If my board is already warmed up, it happens after a few blocks. Not sure if it’s a related issue or gives any additional insight.

@Hummie, I agree. It would be nice to have a brief and basic explanation of each of the settings all in one place. I’m still trying to decipher what each setting affects. If there’s nothing like that floating around, I’m sure, with a little input from everyone, it wouldn’t be hard to create.

Maybe u could ride with a laptop and see ur temps. Or adjust the temp limits. Are ur vescs sealed in?

I’m not saying this is 100% how you should do it, but this is how I’m setting mine up. I know that both battery regen and motor regen affect braking ability. I’ll be setting my battery regen to the max charge current supported by my pack (10s4p 25R cells) which is 16 amps. Since I’m running dual drive I’m setting each VESC to -8 battery regen. My motor regen will be set to -60A. Battery max is at 40A per VESC (80A total to match the pack).