Some fun video of my longboard exploding

start a go fund me page,I’ll donate. Let’s get him back carving and restore his faith in esk8in. I’m sure with this title a lot of people are gona see this thread,start the page and post the link.

6 Likes

Would cell level fuses really work? I mean if one cell goes into runaway or gets punctured I just imagine the whole pack is going to go up just from the chemical chain reaction even without any electrical shorts helping to continue the fire? I mean this sounds like it was started from some sort of electrical shorting going on based on the description of the sparking before the smoke but in the case that one cell is already going isn’t it a forgone conclusion that the whole thing is going to go up in a blaze? I have 2 5S 10Ah LiPo packs in a 3d printed enclosure on the bottom of my board (also wrapped them in some foam to give them some cushion from hard impacts) but I imagine if any cell goes the whole thing is toast… true? not true?

Anyhow agree with others here, really sorry for the OPs loss (I’m not quite sure how bad I’d feel if it were my board, but somewhere on the scale of very to extremely) but also hope we can all learn from it what can be learned.

1 Like

I agree that if one cell goes there is already a lot of heat in the system but cell level fuses “should” prevent the first cell from burning. A correctly sized fuse should burn itself long before thermal run away current levels.

Yeah that makes sense. Wish there was some way to know what went wrong here, heck of a fire :frowning:

Cell level fuses do seem like the kind of thing that should probably exist kinda surprised I haven’t ever seen that advertised on a battery. Have seen some that at least claim to have low power IC built in though I’ve only seen that on the very small lipos really. I guess manufacturers don’t see the extra cost for the fuses and assembly worth it for the extra safety (would probably have to deal with people trying to replace their own fuses and being upset x brand has fuses that burn out and make the thing unusable whereas y is cheaper and they don’t have “that fuse problem” :slight_smile: ) Or maybe I’m just looking in the wrong place (hobby sites)

Were you able to salvage any of those parts? The motors should be pretty water proof, did the blaze destroy the wires in the motor? if not those might still be in working condition, curious about the VESCs as well if you have a chance after you have some time to recoup would be great to get some more close up pictures of the aftermath to see if anyone can spot what might have gone wrong in the first place.

1 Like

8 Likes

Holy shit, sorry for your loose :frowning: ! I had a similar experience with my first build, however mine didn’t went into flame (only smooked). Makes me want to trible check my upcoming custom build!

1 Like

I cringed when I saw the pictures. To think it Could have gone off in your house😟 My biggest fear when I work with batteries. Once I wired up a bms, and after a minute I noticed number five resistor got hot, I than decided to let the pro’s build my packs! Will donate!

jesus I’m so sorry, this is the true power of the Samsung galaxy note 7 my friends, jokes aside you weren’t hurt were you?

1 Like

Where’s the go fund me link?

Manufacturer spec sheet show they put the cells through an intense shorting test and they always pass and no fire, but that single cell situation isn’t realistic and we have many cells not a single. A single will likely get hot but multiple feed into the heat and that’s how one gets hot enough to hit runaway. So I hear.

@oct0f1sh sorry friend, this heartbreaking to watch! Once your grieving period is over, could you post some pics of the battery build internals? Maybe we can spot some anomaly that would explain the mishap. We could all learn something from the experience that way.

1 Like

I haven’t really taken a look at what’s left yet, but all the electronics were pretty much charred so much that they couldn’t be recognized, I hope the motors still work though. I’ll try and post some pictures of the aftermath in a little bit, I have to find somewhere where I can dispose of these destroyed battery cells though.

I just hope this is a learning experience to someone, don’t set your house on fire! I’m really glad this didn’t happen indoors.

@memesupreme not hurt thankfully, was able to get away before the initial burst into flames. At least I was able to get some interesting video out of it.

@BigBoyToys @Rob69de @WARMAN I really appreciate the support, it means so much to me right now. I don’t think I’ll set up a GoFundMe page right now, there are definitely other people out there that deserve the money more than I do. Let’s just say this was (an extremely expensive) learning experience, but hey, I can think of worse ways to have spent my money.

2 Likes

Very humble :grinning: You will get an opportunity to make more money and build your dream board…

1 Like

What batteries did you use?

How did you make your pack?

Did you do any charge / discharge tests before wiring everything together?

Were all of your connections insulated?

What type of wires did you use?

Sorry about the barrage of questions but listing these failure points may help pinpointing the cause.

I bought a spot welded pack of samsung 25r batteries and wired the BMS myself

I tested each of the 10 cell points to make sure that the voltage increased by the correct amount but I didn’t test that after charging / discharging (dumb mistake). I also wrapped the battery pack and BMS in tape to prevent any accidental shorting.

I used XT90 connectors and heat shrinked every single one of them

I used 12 gauge speaker wire I got off amazon

Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Premium-Gauge-Speaker/dp/B006JSMBZE

Yea I made the mistake of doing the same for my charge port. When my idiot friend inserted the loop key into my charge port shorting out the pack, all points where I used speaker wire burned and the copper melted, effectively acting as a fuse.

The speaker wire insulation is not at all rated to tolerate heat so that very well may have been the culprit.

Get good quality 10awg silicone wire, they’re cheap and readily available on amazon.

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Bullz-Audio-BPES10-25-Gauge-Speaker/dp/B0149VC6KC/ref=pd_day0_107_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0149VC6KC&pd_rd_r=KWTE1PY8WXNQF6ZMVMRQ&pd_rd_w=UEli5&pd_rd_wg=LCiHN&psc=1&refRID=KWTE1PY8WXNQF6ZMVMRQ

This is the brand I used, I didn’t realize that speaker wire wasn’t the best to use… Next time I’ll use that silicon wire.

1 Like

Sure, either way sorry about your build.

I’m in the process of upgrading and should have some spare parts so maybe you can get some of that on the cheap.

Not certain what parts though yet.

1 Like