Some thoughts on building battery packs

Don’t know if this idea is new or not, but I’d like to hear what you guys think of this. Any apparent weaknesses you think of in this way of designing a pack?

The idea is to have a plastic sheet laying on top of the cells to which copper foil had been attached to form all parallel and series connections. Cells have nickel strips spot weldered which are then soldered onto the copper to form parallel groups.

Pros/cons. Would make it super easy to swap or check a bad cell - desolder/resolder. Less risk of getting shorts. (?) All parallel and series connections use copper. Not flexible…

1 Like

looks like cell lvl fusing without the cell lvl fusing.

2 Likes

Also no soldering directly onto cells

1 Like

Looks like Chakas buss bar thing with plastic underneath

1 Like

basically the same principle as this?

Thanks guys, so for originality that would be zero points. On the other hand, if similar design has been used before, I guess this method can’t be that bad either. :blush:

1 Like

LOL here it is :smile:

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/3037

I recently ordered a kit from a company , https://vruzend.com/ From what I can tell this is Pack assembly almost as simple as putting legos together lol

I remember reading somewhere that these aren’t rated for high amperage. I’d double check and find out before building the battery.

1 Like

http://vruzend.com/faq/#how-much-current

good luck

2 Likes

Yes. I saw those, but there are a few reasons why I wouldn’t get them.

1. Not tested for higher current and would probably need customization for handling that.
  2. Not sure they’ll handle the vibrations that well.
  3. If you want to swap a single cell you can’t just remove that one cell (as I understand it), but need to disassemble a big part of the pack depending on where that cell is located.
  4. Somewhat bulky.

I might be wrong and maybe this is in fact an ok way to go. Haven’t heard much from those that were actually taking this route with their eboard builds though…

2 Likes

A friend bought one and I helped assemble it. 1- pain in the ass to assemble 2- with shipping, your better off paying another $30-40 and buying a spotwelder 3- vibrations kill the pack, no matter what. We hot glued all of the nuts and expanding foamed inbetween the batteries to make sure nothing got loose, but slowly the cells separated from the shells.

I wouldn’t recommend it unless your building a powerbank for a phone or something. Not for under a board.

1 Like

I can add. They fucking blow. connection is not solid and falls apart with vibration. The friction fit is so tight that they tear the heatshink wrapping of the cells. You’re better off 3D printing some brackets and spotwelding/soldering the connections.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input guys! I figure he’ll it was 30 bucks for the kit and I have some shitty 18650 cells so may as well give it a shot. It’ll be like practice for building my own pack right lol

How difficult is it to spot weld? My solder skills still leave much to be desired (look fuckin awful). I don’t have much confidence in myself to do a pack just yet

Apparently the first product release was for shit and really difficult to deal with. Supposedly made improvements but no way to know except to give it the ol college try

1 Like