Start up Company

You’re asking a community full of DIY builders. Not to mention, you can’t just have a esk8 company and not know what your market is. What’s your target market? Who’s the consumer you are trying to sell too? What price bracket do you want to compete in? You need to know these details to have an outline that basically says “okay, here’s my target consumer persona, and here’s what the persona is looking for in a board”. My advice? Find your target market first. then come back here and ask what would be a good design decision.

1 Like

Personally I love a 50" board with 150mm urthane tyres with truck suspention. dual Vesc7.3 setup 12s8p with a 8-30 gear ratio.

for the board it needs to be made out of bamboo like boosteds, but be jet back with carbon fibre.

motors need to be a minimum of 7264, or 8080 @ about 220Kv and handle 90Acont just like the Vesc. \s

13 Likes

Wow, you like the short boards, huh? I usually ride my 73" longboard with the 200 watt 107mm powered bushings

5 Likes

*hamboard

2 Likes

Those don’t have the secret powered bushings though

I would like an unnecessarily thick deck with reverse nose and zero concave. Then please slap on stickers on the old faulty landwheel drives and call it your own…here’s an example of what psykoboard did. Great stuff right?

13 Likes

You will get much more sales with custom builds and more profit

Yeah I don’t think we’ll see him again…

hehe :smiley:

10char

:upside_down: its funny. everyone who puts together a kit thinks they are amazing and can start a company…:joy:

3 Likes

Here’s what everyone wants as far as i can tell:

1. max top speed whatever “i can throw at it”
  2. max range too because what’s the point if i can’t go as fast as possible for longer than possible. Need to do 50mph for at least 100 miles c’mon man can’t you just strap a lipo on it or something but it better look amazing
  3. it needs to be able to climb hills too at 50mph and oh yeah they weigh 270 pounds but theywork at the top of the hill and they can’t charge it more than twice a week because @psychotiller’s mom needs the plugs for her giant vapes and backup beeper.
  4. they love the artwork and want to be able to see it and here’s a picture of the cat they want on top but don’t use clear grip because that gets dirty so maybe can’t you just cut the grip around the cat or use colored cat grip or maybe just slap a cat on there they don’t know they’ll let me know in a couple weeks but they need it shipped tomorrow
  5. backpack full of lipos
  6. they really want the electric flywheels and money is no object. Doesn’t matter if they’re literally not available anywhere and basically no longer exist as a retail product anywhere legitimate, can’t i just call chris or something, have i heard of the sharkwheels, what about these ones on amazon they found.
  7. they want to call you. They want to hear a person on the phone before they spend close to $3K on a board that will likely need adjustments specifically for their riding style and weight after the sale which can be a tad disappointing (i have to send it back? i just got it!) for a customer living in a culture of sell-it-and-forget-it mixed with everything-should-be-perfect-i’m-a-jaded-customer and a side of everything-is-changing-anyway-thanks-disruptive-millenials.
  8. they want you to make them feel special. Because they deserve it. They know they deserve it, and if they’re giving you that kind of money, they do deserve it. So make them feel special. Give them the level of service just past what they expected and keep surprising them. They will tell their friends, you won’t have to advertise. Advertising is a smelly game anyway, and the millennials, who are the ones buying everything right now, aren’t fond of the traditional bullshit marketing approaches.
  9. a company who can deliver and won’t take orders without shipping anything until they’re bankrupt or sued.
  10. it needs the biggest pack you’ve ever made but they need to be able to mall grab it and take it on a plane, can you just make it so i can put the cells in my wife’s purse or something.

based on all of that, and all of the experiences i’ve had, There is no perfect board for everyone.

compromises are going to have to happen.

I would suggest targeting a 170 pound rider who enjoys a top speed of around 25mph but that’s probably too scary for them so they’ll likely keep it under 20 most of the time, but that spec is important. Also it need to do a minimum of 15 miles AT 25mph. with a 170 pounds on it. so you’re looking at an evolve/raptor class board. that’s 10S class. If you’re lucky you can get a price point around $1900 and still make some money.

19 Likes

you will need at least 3 types of board. just like every car manufacturer out there with their low end Civic, mid tier Camry, and upper Lexus. Meepo boards from Kieran is a good example. he started selling low ends and now he has 3 types of boards. point is, people love having options if you wanna survive long term in this business.

i would consider myself a novice so here’s my 7 answers to your questions 1- longboard. im riding a 39inches now and under 4.5 inches high for stability. 30" is too short for comfort 2- concave? i didnt know how many types there are 3- no kicktail, since i dont do tricks 4- hub motors. just cause they are soooo much more quieter. i dont want people’s attention 5- 8 to 10 miles 6- it doesnt matter. but if i want to upgrade in the future, i should be able to use any lipos i want 7- low end $400 to $600 for something that can go at least 20mph and lasts at least 6months, with 5miles per day commute. so doing the math that’s at least 650 miles. mid tier board from $700 to $1000 for something that can do 25mph and lasts 2000 miles. upper tier board from $1300 to $2000 that can do 30mph and over 2500 miles.

hope that helps and gl!

1 Like

That is beyond true. ITs very important to think about this and fully understand what it really means for your business.

For me it means literally giving them what they ask for within reason and within the constraints of what’s possible for their build.

for you it probably means having on hand multiple power levels of drive systems and multiple decks/graphics to set them apart. That’s what it will mean for me when i dip into non-custom completes in 2018. I’ll be producing short runs of various types of boards for various weight classes and riding styles as a way of diversifying. Why? because something else they all want: delivery within a week of placing their order. Now that’s something you can’t do on a fully customized board designed for an individual. So, diversification.

4 Likes

What about the iphone and hyper cars. Nothing wrong with have a single awesome product. Of course there is always money in creating other peoples dreams. Still it would be silly to start out with several models with zero experience. Best to start with a single model and once it is refined begin branching out if that is your intent.

4 Likes

I really enjoy this thread, although obviously op is like 0% legit :slight_smile:

It’s not about him anymore… it all about getting @notepad to do a kickstarter. Personally I think the 150mm wheels are a no go. Maybe he can partner with sharkwheels and create a hub motor to go on that majestic beast!

1 Like

What a great thread, lol.

1 Like

agreed.

Lots of good feedback in here.

Unfortunately it would be very difficult for anyone coming in off the street to process all of this and formulate some kind of plan., but the info we give away around here is fucking priceless. I could charge $1000 an hour for the kind of info i throw out on here and start a consulting firm.

6 Likes

7 Likes

holy shit is hacker cat! nobody can stop him!

6 Likes