Steel Vs. Ceramic: Bearings

how did they do this? if you are cleaning them with a harsh solvent like acetone you are suppose to remove the shield and clean the shield with like dawn dish soap.

Dude. No lol. Natural orange.

And they did this because they did it.

ok well i have not try them out yet going to be putting them on my new build so we shall see how they hold up.

https://nealbearings.com/products/neal-blackout-ceramic These are the ones I use on my non-epowered icarus.

Switched to ceramic a while back after I got tired of cleaning my bearings after every wet ride. Even though these are still ceramic/steel hybrid, I can still confirm that they have survived more puddles than any other bones set. Only bought one set of these ceramics back in November and they’re still fresh.

I’ve got cheap bearings that are 10 years old. And I ride them in the rain.

In a general sense, yeah, you’r right. But its not like expensive bearings never rust, and cheap bearings always rust.

If treated right, neither should rust.

If mistreated they’ll both rust.

But the difference in force is insanely small, like micrograms. It can be noticeable at slow speed, slow incline where there is virtually zero air resistance.

So some instances in park skating where you might be doing a lot of flatland coasting, probably LDP, flatland dancing perhaps.

But here? No.

Don’t believe me? Swap out your fast bearing for slow ones, see if it affect your range.

Technically true, but is it an appreciable difference? Is it large enough to measure?

I don’t mean to say they don’t. But so few people are buying ceramics, there’s a lot less data, a lot less consensus, Ceramic bearings have been used in cycling a lot more, and I didn’t find anybody touting longevity. I hear more about the lighter weight. You’re doing some pretty performance optimization if you’re looking at the balls in you’re bearing and going “Huh, thats adding to my weight. I should do something about that”

does anyone know what all the fast downhill riders are using? i watch there videos and these guys hall ass

2 Likes

check his most recent video:

1 Like

This is all true, bearing don’t really matter for eskate … except they do. But they matter in ways you don’t think at first. You need ceramic bearings because brine doesn’t rust them out. Other than that, rolling resistance and all that marketing jazz, doesn’t really matter. When it snows and they throw salt all over the road, then you better be running full ceramic. Other than that, bearings don’t matter at all.

3 Likes

what did he mean by slop in the video? brand new bearings that are sloppy from the factory…i don’t understand what he is trying to say.

Like if you grab your wheel and can wiggle it a little bit even when the wheel it tight down.

All bearings have some tolerance, so it takes a little bit of experience to know how much to expect from good bearings. Also, you have to realize that for different applications some slop is fine. But going really really fast isn’t one of them. That is not when you want any possibility for things to go wrong.

There people really running full ceramic around here?

2 Likes

Kevin Reimer

Kid your man also points out steel bearings in rain once = fubar… (so I wont waste the time responding)

But… I noticed he rides Aera k4’s, If anyone wants to buy a set I have some black on black 176mm 50/50. Super light weight, great for spinny loop-de-loop thingies!

DSC_6133 - Edited

1 Like

hi guys, I’ve been reading the different opinions on the ceramic bearings. I’ve been running a pair of Swiss ceramics on my Loaded Dervish for about 6 summers now, most recently with the O’tang Kegels and it’s such an awesome board to commute on. I’m from Montreal, so the streets are less than ideal and it rains 3 times a day in the summer. I’ve been cleaning them once or twice per season, they have a bit of play now and they became a bit louder but they still roll for a really long time!

My question is, are there ceramic bearings for 12mm axels? I’m waiting on the LaCroix board and I wasn’t able to find any info on 12 - 28 mm ceramic bearings. I’ve found some industrial ones full ceramic but not for skating purposes. Is anybody here running ceramic bearings on bigger wheels/axles ?

Yep, on some boards. Specifically because of brine.

http://www.vxb.com/

Is there any good discussions that have happened about them?

I’ve been curious about full ceramic forever. People talk about them hypothetically all the time, but nobody actually bites the bullet and buys them.

Not that I’m aware of

So if I understand, the inner diameter of the bearings for the MBS matrix II trucks would be 12mm and the outer diameter would be 28mm for the Rockstar II hubs. I wasn’t able to find any info about the depth, is it 8mm? So therefore would the bearing be a 12x28x8? I wasn’t able to find any sealed ceramics for that size. Sorry i’m still very new to this.

look through these

http://www.vxb.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=ceramic+12+x+28

1 Like

wow the swiss ceramics are dirt cheap compared to how much it would cost to get 8 of those :smiley:

Hence why its so surprising to hear of people actually running full ceramic.

What you can do to get at least hybrid ceramic is measure the ball size in your MBS bearings, and if you’re lucky you’ll be able to purchase ceramic balls that size on Ebay or somewhere.

This is something people figured out for 8mm bearings, so it should be possible for larger bearings as well.

3 Likes