Subsonic Spirit 30 - Meepo

In a separate thread I have pulled the guts from my meepo classic 2, link is here

I think the calmer characteristics of the classic’s ESC lend it self well to a mini-board. I had the meepo mini and it was just too fast for its size and shape and had a smaller battery than I liked for my average commute.

So I bought the last Spirit 30 subsonic had in stock, and an Eboosted enclosure, and set about making a mini better suited to my preferences. The deck has a wheelbase 2" longer than the meepo mini, so although it appears there’s a kicktail, there pretty much isn’t. I never found the kicktail on the meepo mini to be useful but more of a liability under hard acceleration.

The Classic 2 battery doesn’t leave enough room in the enclosure for the ESC, so I opened it up to see what’s inside. The battery builders left gaps between groups to permit some flex in the pack. I didn’t want to bust out the soldering gun so I just cut the rigid backerboard and used some vinyl to pull it all together. I will heat shrink wrap this one once I get my hands on a heat gun.

Because Subsonic mounted the grip tape for me (wasn’t expecting that) I was concerned about blowing through the top of the deck when drilling for the threaded inserts and ruining the nice grip tape. A little trick with threaded inserts is to bevel the leading edge so it screws deeper into a shallow hole. insert mom joke

For the cable channels I dremeled out two slots then heat formed two cable tunnels from some ABS plastic sheet.

I need to wait until next week when things come out of lockdown so I can get more threaded inserts.

2 Likes

Clean bean.

the wedge that comes with the board is a bit unsightly so I have repurposed the meepo mini wedge and increase the angle.

battery mods provided enough room for the ESC.

2 Likes

Sweet build!

This is exactly what we need more of! - I am a big fan of taking the china boards apart & remodelling… I’m surprised we don’t see this more often!

how did you go about transferring the deck design to the enclosure?

1 Like

the enclosure is from eboardsperu and I suspect they just took a silicone mold of a deck and applied it to their master mold. I can see the wood grain striations from the deck they took the impression from in the enclosure’s resin. The enclosure construction is top notch but I would prefer 3mm extra depth and 3mm extra mounting flange width.

https://www.eboardsperu.com/

1 Like

complete. Everything fit snug. Now I just need to wait another 1.5 months before the snow melts in this frigid land.

The backend was really tight to the trucks but I made it work.

1 Like

i’m talking about this, the graphic design.

You do it by hand?

3 Likes

naw that’s the way the deck comes. same goes for the enclosure.

1 Like

gotcha… I’m pleasantly surprised because I have not seen this before.

2 Likes

weather finally stayed above freezing so I was able to ride my new Meepo Spirit 30 board to work. With the ESC and battery from the meepo classic 2, this mini board is a long range beast. My stance is that of a long board and with the wheelbase 2" longer than the meepo mini there’s no danger of flipping back under hard acceleration like it would with a kicktail. Paring the 90mm wheels with the meepo classic 2 ESC gives just the right amount of speed and torque. I don’t need to go 50mk/h on a short board, 40-45km/h is just fine. So pleased with this board.

2 Likes

If you scoot those next to one another, you NEED fish paper (also called barley paper) between them as fire avoidance measures.

1 Like

man, i love this build…

2 Likes

yeah I was thinking the same thing. They did a really good job in keeping everything tidy so when I pushed the clusters together there was nothing touching. I will get the fish paper and make it right.

1 Like

it’s a peach to ride.

1 Like

This is so nice!!!

1 Like