Taking hiatus from e-skate Industry

@evoheyax Sad to see you go man…

That’s why I left the bay area too… crazy to live in the bay area unless you have a ridiculous high paying job but even then most people only keep the lights on. Pretty crazy to me.

I wish you the best of luck while Esk8 is fun I’m sure you’ll enjoy software development as well. You’ll get up there and will possibly be back (hopefully)!

2 Likes

Good luck go get that money. 120k is normal for new software devs. Which is crazy lmao. No reason you can’t continue to esk8 tho. Hope you get the uber gig!

Best of luck to your future career and please return to this when time permits.

Getting to that took me many years, not straight out of college! I’ve had job offers in SF that pays more but standard of living there is so high it’s basically a low paying job after paying rent/mortgage.

IKR!? Can’t tell my wife and kid that we are going to have roommates!

2 Likes

I think if you have kids the legal working age is like 14 so don’t let them slack around the house doing nothing get them out there in the job market getting food on your table.
but hes not going anywhere really just not trying to sell you stuff. Supposedly there’s some race down south somewhere he wants to do so maybe youll see him sooner than not

2 Likes

Oyah? Gotta get 4 more motors completed asap lol.

@evoheyax there’s no reason to be a stranger. Pop in and troll us occasionally like Onloop likes to do.

1 Like

The truth is that I eat about $200 per week ($10400 a year) in groceries, and I’ll eat maybe $100 a week out in food ($5000 per year). I pay $800 per month for my own room in a rent for a pretty nice setup $9600 per year). And then car insurance and car is about $450 per month $5400 per year. Gas is another $1900 per year. And then another $8000 per year in eskate. And maybe another $2000 in miscellaneous stuff.

Ok, maybe more like 42k, but you get my point. And I still live a pretty good life style. The problem is, kids are at least 80k per year. So yes, 1 kid and 120k is shity. Heck private school is 30k per year. I always wanted to have kids when I was younger, it’s just not possible unless you make 200k+ in SF. And even then, my gfs ex husband struggles to afford his kid and he makes over 250k.

4 Likes

Good luck for the future man. Come by from time to time. If you made it into development of autonomous driving you have to tell us what’s going on there. Would love to do the same. If Elon watches this :phone:

4 Likes

Hey man I just saw your board in flames, all I can say is I KNOW THE FEELING, sorry to see these things, I’m with you on that.

Btw, if I ever step out of eboards I’ll definitely keep using my boards, not for someone else but for me me. So, no quitting at all. I couldn’t hold myself together without riding everyday to work.

2 Likes

everything but the motors are gone including the tires, but the motors are good! there’s a great video of the blow up with sound I know of…hope to be released. best blow up video ive seen! great slow mo of 18650s blowing through the deck at missle speeds with big fire blowouts!

2 Likes

You should give @whitepony a call :wink: AFAIK he works for VW’s self driving car unit.

2 Likes

I can believe it. We visited SF on our California trip last month and it cost $60 to park the car at the Holiday Inn for one night. Tell me, does it also explain that not long after 9pm on a Thursdsy night all the restaurants were closed.

Yeah, as a first job out of college in software dev, you can expect on the high end a job around $80k, Even PhD scientists make this amount in their first job. Of course in other job markets it may be higher but the cost of living as well as income taxes are playing a role as well.

I’m assuming this was in the tourist district, haha. The mission is the best late night place in the city IMO. Great bars that are packed every day if the week till 2 am and a lot of really good restaurants open till 10 or 11 pm. $60 parking is crazy. I never have paid for parking in a lot or garage in SF, haha. You’ll learn how to find street parking if you live here :wink:

1 Like

All depends what your doing. If I do web dev or app dev, then 80k is a pretty normal starting salary. But a lot of good jobs start above 100k. The UBer recruiter told me 110k is around where I would start if they hire me.

Again, it all comes down to if you want a family. You will struggle to support people on 120k in SF, especially a kid. But if your gf/wife works, and you have no kids, and you choose NOT to live in the 4k - 6k a month apartments, then you can live quite comfortably. You just need to know people and take your time looking for places.

M8, weren’t you leaving?

2 Likes

It’s not a hobby to some folks. Unless minivan-driving is a hobby for a soccer-mom

Sadly. For some, it is :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So what makes this hobby or not a hobby for you?

I see it as not a hobby if it’s your MAIN source of transportation. For me it’s 100% a hobby since it’s only for joy riding

Right, I agree.

But even if it’s a hobby for you, it’s still not in your best interest to call it that publicly. And it can definitely hurt folks who use them for transportation and in turn hurt the environment as well.

“hobbies” are “optional” and “bannable” and “outlawable”

“transportation” is a “necessary risk”

Do you think driving cars in public would be legal if the public perceived it as a “hobby”? Heck no. No way. Too dangerous.

1 Like

So what should I call/categorize this as? I was into mountain biking in my early twenties since my college was next to a mountain. Moved close to the beach after and got into road biking. All hobbies and fun and never as a transportation because I cannot arrive at work sweating and need to change into a suit.

I guess riding is the transportation part and building is the hobby part of it.