Tester needed for VescUartControl with new Interface

exactly but i cant figure out why it doesnt work so far on nano so I first want to make sure that exactly the same code works/doesnt work on mega starts to get annoying and even students dont have unlimited time :joy:

Iā€™m almost finishing my board and will try on the nano plus VESC 6 this week or next weekend

hah alright i could have guessed as much myself, thanks for your effort :D[quote=ā€œPedrodemio, post:22, topic:38476, full:trueā€] Iā€™m almost finishing my board and will try on the nano plus VESC 6 this week or next weekend [/quote]

That would be great, i wanna use the exact same setup!

1 Like

Hi,

I tested the example and get telemetry data. But with the ArduoBoardControl I have the same issues. I started reassemble a test hardware again based on a mega, so that I can debug all the stuff. Struggling at the moment to establish the NRF on the mega. Hope that my ship is still OK.

Keep you updated.

Andy

1 Like

OK Guys,

Hardware works but now i need a bit of swarm intelligence. I debuged the send packages on both sides. The VescUartControl works. I get correct telemetry. But when I send the struct VescUartMeasures in the Ack-Message, I does not receive the full message.

On Rx Site: avgMotorCurrent: -0.20 avgInputCurrent: 0.00 avgId: 0.00 avgIq: 0.00 dutyNow: 0.00 rpm: 0 inpVoltage: 23.50 ampHours: 0.00 ampHoursCharged: 0.00 tachometer: 3 tachometerAbs: 3 faultCode: 0

On Tx-Site

mpFetFiltered: 28.80 tempMotorFiltered:-73.30 avgMotorCurrent: -0.20 avgInputCurrent: 0.00 avgId: 0.00 avgIq: 0.00 dutyNow: 0.00 rpm: 0 inpVoltage: 23.50 ampHours: 0.00 ampHoursCharged: 0.00 tachometer: 3 tachometerAbs: 3 faultCode: 0

For example inpVoltage is not sended. I have no idea why!

Next problem: The NunChuck control message is send to the vesc. But the motor does not work. Also at the moment no idea.

I hope somebody can jump in here. Because I have no capacity left for much investigation.

Andy

Iā€™m not sure if i understand correctly. The Communication between the VESC and Arduino (Nano?) is fully working, but the data transfer between NRF modules isnā€™t? So youā€™re talking about the ArduBoardControl sketch? And also the Nunchuck Commands do not work.

Right now i donā€™t have much time to investigate as well, but after Christmas i have some free time for a while which i will use to make my remote. Iā€™ll keep you guys updated if i run into problems and try to fix them. I can also try the ArduBoardControl code as well.

Iā€™m testing right now

At the moment i confirmed that the NRF communication is working, wasnā€™t sure since itā€™s a new arduino and new NRF with a other stuff connected but not implemented yet, i still havenā€™t managed to talk to the VESC 6

I will try now just send some fixed value and ditch all NRF related stuff from the code

EDIT: iā€™m also on nano, i was comparing the current commands in the oficial fork with the vesc 6 library branch and the previous versions of the library. Apparently the VESC expect the two joysticks, two buttons and 3 acceleration values, the VESC 6 branch is sending 6 acceleration values, i will try to remove that

EDIT2: Itā€™s pretty obvious that the serial communication is not working since the leds in D0 and D1 are off (or very very dim), why is the question

EDIT3: confirmed the serial problem, rolling back to the previous version of the library and works fine (but canā€™t comunnicate with 3.XX since the protocol changed)

Is there any way to get the sketch to work on Arduino Uno? Iā€™ve been trying everything but it still doesnā€™t work!

Arduino uno has only one serial port, you will need an Arduino Mega or a supported board with more than one serial port to be able to read the Vesc input and print it over serial on IDE. I used a Bluetooth module which doesnā€™t require a serial port to send data to an app I made and it worked on the Mini. :8ball:

It works on pro mini and Nano, so the 1 Port limit shouldnā€™t be the problem. You just have to debug using a software serial port. I recommend the altsoftserial library, itā€™s much more fleshed out than the regular one.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got this working on a pro-mini, using an HM10(MetR module) only on the vesc. With a standalone pro-mini, and hm05 in slave.

Trying to decide on a screen. Will be using this for telemetry only, and have commented out the controls. Iā€™ve ordered a handful of SPI oled screens. And going to be working on trying to make a thin glove backpack for Sector 9 leather gloves.

Think my goal here is to use standard hardware on the board, i.e. normal ppm receiver and Bluetooth module, without any extras on board. No special receivers, basically a standalone system, so you can either connect your phone like normal, or use the glove backpack.

Likely Iā€™ll start out with the backpack design, once I have a few screens in hand, so I can pick the screen and make the size of the backpack thin and small. Then start on the display UI after the hardware prototype is done.

Thanks for sharing your updates @RollingGecko