"The Avenger" | Jet Spud | MAD Fury DIY Direct Drive | 12S3p 30Q | Focbox Unity

Nice build! I’m interested in Meepo hub work on 12S, because I plan a similar build.

2 Likes

yeh is not going really well at the moment https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/almost-no-brakes-in-foc-12s3p-30q-battery-flipsky-6-6-meepo-hubmotor-style/72170

Ok, Thanks to this fantastic community I got them work fine. I still have a weird behaviour on bench test, but it doesn’t affect the ride so far. I will look into it later on. Here the first short ride this morning (90Kg geared with backpack for the gym ecc), plus some telemetry, a dark video from yesterday trying to find a sweet spotting for the brakes ecc… I know these motors well, I can say that at 12s they are a new motors. I guess is for every motor, but it’s nice to try them at 10s and then 12s. Believe no way you have to come back. Even with a small battery like mine 12s3p is totally worth it. Unfortunatelly I am using them in FOC and not BLDC as in the past because with the new Flipsky VESC 6.6 I have too much rattling at the beginning which makes the ride more uncomfortable. So yes FOC does removes 2-3 kmh of top speed but overall way better feeling. Plus the Popoca wheels in front are a blast. Really feel the difference.

Here a bit of telemetry data Dropbox - 2018-10-25_10-01-47_Avenger_X_esc_Data.csv - Simplify your life Load them here and you can see everything Cube Archive

Screenshot of the results

One thing to mention is that this Flipsky 6.6 has a bad volt sensor, which is stupid to save money on a volt sensor that is fundamental on a VESC. Anyhow in my case is about 1.3V lower than the real one.

4 Likes

so your break issues are gone with -11a?

yes already -10A did the trick. -11A is ok. I also increase to -60A motor min. I check during the ride and never went lower than -10A total from 2 vescs, so -5A each. I do not know why doesn’t work when you set it at -6A direclty. Probably there is something that makes this VESCs working different compare to the other. On thing to mention they run coller than the 4.12 I had. Like 10 degree less. It’s also colder outside but I think still less heat then the previous ones.

1 Like

can be that something in the energy management has changed form hw4 to hw6… good that it works now!

1 Like

Yeh maybe they have some soft limits to prevent overcurrent issues. So basically better to increase it so that you do not occur into that limit easily. Thanks for the help! The weird behaviour on bench test is still there but you don’t feel it while riding. Boh!

I saw your video. That motor sound is quiet. nice! :raised_hands:

In FOC a hub motors doesn’t have sound. I am used to BLDC where at least you hear something. In FOC you hear only the wheels rolling. You really do not know when is on or not. Nothing really.

It’s getting colder huh.

Yeah I remember that sound of those hubs. They run nice on 12s with 42kph max. But I just got them carvon sdr afterwards and then the torque drives after that so I didn’t get to try them for very long.

Also wasn’t very confident yet when I tried them cause I had only just gotten out of the hospital from the shoulder break.

Are you going to keep thos setup and give a full review after a month or a few weeks of riding?

When I tried it they did get very hot but it was also a very hot summer at the time.

1 Like

Since I am working on the DD conversion of the MAD hubs, for the moment I keep them and I will use every day, except rainy days. I use the board as commuter, so no problem to test them. This evening I will make another video and telemetry on the way back to home. To me the best thing about the hubs is the torque, linear and at 12s constant up to top speed, and the heat dissipation. I actually think that they are pretty efficient for the power they have. Do not know why but if I check the telemetry data they really use way less current than other motors and still provide nice performance. Indeed I get a longer range using them. I will check the temperature more often, but this morning they were barely warm. It’s also 15 degree in the morning, so that helps for sure. I got a x-ray temp meter so I can do it in a more appropriate way.

2 Likes

How do Meepo hubs compare to the MAD hubs?

Yeh, that’s why I am testing the Meepo now. Afterwards time for the MAD hub. I will psot everything do not worry :wink:

I was wondering from when you tried the MAD just as regular hub not DD… Any comments on that?

I tried the 130Kv at 10s and already compared to the meepo at 10s. Now I am testing the Meepo at 12s and then I will install the 75Kv mad hub. The 130Kv at 12s It’s too much I think :joy:

1 Like

Ok here the evening ride to home. Sorry for my stupid thumb but with backpack and gym back, holding the phone and the remote was a bit sketchy. You can also appreciate the end of the video where the policeman stopped me because I didn’t have the light. He had totally right, I changed the backpack this morning and forget to install it. That was the time when the torch from the phone saves your ass :laughing: It’s funny since usually I have front and rear light and no one cares about me. Today I was without and full of police in the city. Anyhow new top speed 44kmh. When the battery voltage is at 50.4V the vesc reads about 48.2V, so depends on the charge level the error increase. For the rest all fine. The motor at the end of the ride were 38.9^C on the outer CAN. I had to slow down the last part because of traffic and :policeman: I also recorded a hill climb but was a mess so I will do it again with the light. Anyhow since they are 65Kv the hill climbing capability is really good.

3 Likes

Never mind the thumb, how about that nice refund :laughing:

1 Like

refund for what?

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

ahahahaha right! i didn’t know that the messages are also recorded…I thought would it be only the ride. Yeh good that I got the refund Lol. I bought a set of dies and taps and they suck! :joy:

2 Likes