The Babe Chaser | Carvon's Dual Hub Motors | Dexter's 12S3P | VESC x2 | Deciding on Deck, Controller, and Enclosure

You can use the FORCE to stop it…young Jedi

VESC’s on my Space Cell don’t seem to get very hot at all, even after a full day of riding hard. Yeah I use a MacBook to program it between BLDC and FOC. BLDC when I’m just riding, FOC when I’m commuting. I’m using Jacob Bloy BLDC for the OSX.

1 Like

@torqueboards @Namasaki How do you guys measure inclines? Is it an app? I live in mostly flatlands so I have to actively search for hills to test on.

They do have an app although I haven’t tested it.

For mine since some of the streets have already been measured before. I base it off of the main streets which have a percentage of incline.

I’ve used http://www.findhills.com/ to help get an estimate. I noticed it tends to bucket includes greater than 9% into a “9+%” bucket, so it’s not too useful for steep hills. As I’m in DC, this is probably fine, but for folks in hillier terrain, maybe using something like Strava to record your ride and then looking to see in % grade.

1 Like

@suprisebirthday - I was wondering how accurate something like Strava would be though…

I would say just be thankful you live in a flat area. I wish I did. Riding on level ground is more fun than hills in my opinion. Riding up hill a lot causes things to heat up. My Esc’s and motors get hot if I’m going up hills a lot.

1 Like

One thing I like about the Torquesboard Esc’s is that I can pull over anytime and adjust the programming using the program card which fits in my pocket.
Would be great if someone would develop a smart phone app and wifi dongle for the Vesc. So you could adjust it on the road.

1 Like

@Namasaki - That’s coming soon. Jacob is working on it for the VESC. App based though.

This is the video that convinced me to go for a build based on carvon dual.

@Namasaki what batteries do you use with this setup?

Definatly go dual motor. The difference in power between single and dual is huge. Braking is also much stronger with duals. I’m running 12s Lipo and Torquesboard 12s Esc’s

how did you make your own 12s Lipos?

also do you have an idea of the top speed and range?

@broshi you can do it several ways.

1. Connect Lipos in series (2 6s or 3 4s etc.) -> Easy way
  2. Take apart the Lipos and connect them to just make one big pack. I wouldn’t recommend doing this but am not super knowledgeable about it either. I’ver heard of people doing it with the 18650

@torqueboards sells 12s batteries but they are not Lipos

1 Like

Anyone have some advice on what size deck I should be going with? I don’t want a monster board. Something a good size which I can comfortably carry and go fast on. So far I like this one the best:

It also comes in a 38" size, not sure if that will make too big of a difference though, thoughts?

Ah right thanks!

Also whats the difference with Lipos and non Lipos? Higher C rating for one?

“In short, LiPo’s provide high energy storage to weight ratios, are capable of fast discharges, and come in an endless variety of shapes and sizes.”

Read that.

The way I see it is you can get the relatively same specs from a different battery pack (18650s) but your gonna need more cells for the same results. If this is your first build I’d recommend not going with Lipos since you’d need to buy a separate machine to charge them and will overall just require more work.

1 Like

Some other decks I’m deciding between: https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/decks/70909/arbor-james-15-kelly-pro-model-longboard-skateboard-deck-w-grip https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/decks/71226/koastal-two-face-longboard-skateboard-deck-w-grip https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/decks/71324/landyachtz-2016-fiberglass-stout-fish-longboard-skateboard-deck-w-grip

Well with the small the deck … The more likely you end up on he ground. 40 in freeride with a micro drop works and feels awesome

Best to connect 2 6s packs in series and charge them separately. I use 5.5mm bullet connectors to easily connect them for service and disconnect them for charging. Note: I’ve noticed that running 12s seems to put a strain on the Esc’s and can cause over heating in situations of prolonged heavy load. Like going up long steep hills. You might consider trying 10s instead. I just recently cooked one of my Esc’s doing hills. Running 12s is like running on the edge of the Esc’s limitations.

I would spend the extra few dollars on the 12s pack for this build. There have been cutout issues with 10s packs and dual Carvon Hub motors. Plus it’s only a few bucks more from Dexter so well worth it in my opinion.