The best decks for DIY eskates (2018)

Sooooo…how is everyone doing? cool? This is my first thread in a while but an important one…

I have been testing and learning everything I can but I want to hear from you too. I have been going through many decks and swapping parts constantly to try and find the best combos and also testing robustness along the way. I have seen many common decks people keep mentioning and/or using for their builds, so I think there is a short list of the favorites or commonly used ones already.

I’ve actually been tasked with creating a more complete list to aid the industry and help get us more of what we need, so give it to me straight…

Here I will start:

The Evo The potato The bamboo dancer The hybrids

I want to know 2 things so lay it on me thick

-What is your favorite eskate deck? (specific make and model)

and if it doesn’t exist yet

-What features would it have? (length, width, concave profile, shape and features)

3 Likes

The @Hummie deck is amazing for me. I love the drop through and the CF keeps it rigid enough. The battery compartment keeps the profile slim so that even in drop through I have plenty of ground clearance. The shape also allows for an AT setup.

image image image image

12 Likes

Earthwing Team/Muirderer Potato 33 Cantellated Tesseract

Happens to be the decks I used on my builds… so I’m subjective :slight_smile:

Important to me: kicktail, length <37", big flares for big wheels

5 Likes

Really liking moonshin decks. Cant seem to pick one. Ive gone down to local skate shop and looked at them a dozen times. 33-38 inches.(preferably with kicktail)

4 Likes

Can’t forget trampa urban carver.

Just bought the Olin recurve I think that will be up there too

4 Likes

it really depends on your needs. Since my (main) board needs to fit in my locker and be small af i’ve chosen a eggboard and I love it. one thing that I have seen consistently throughout boards, regardless of size, length etc. is width, a good board has width.

2 Likes

My favorite to date is Hummie’s deck, it’s thick and sturdy, not flexy and is the only double drop to last longer than 3 months with me riding.

The one I am now looking at is from Red Ember Boards and it’s called The 44, I like long decks and The 44 is just calling to me, but gotta wait til he says they’re for sale :confused:

This is my current setup (non-powered at the momemt) the wide axles are so i can swap between 100mm and 6" wheels

8 Likes

Powell-Peralta Bones Brigade Series 10 Mike McGill Skull and Snake Reissue (the bottlenose skakeskin)

It has a massive tail, is short enough (30.5", 77.5cm) to be carried upright by a handle on the nose, and is super-wide (10", 25.4cm) right under the front foot for stability at-speed. It’s the best commuter deck EVER and is super-awesome on trains and in grocery carts(trolleys).

The second runner-up sharing all of these features is the Powell-Peralta Bones Brigade Series 10 Lance Mountain Future Primitive Reissue

15 Likes

@mmaner once told me that every serious builder does something with a RedEmber Bludgeon… for good reason. They are awesome.

But I also love the Lacroix, tailor made for eskate.

@barajabali I too cannot wait to get my hands on the Ollin Recurve…

7 Likes

Its hands down the best deck I’ve ridden for extended periods, its a frikkin tank and its comfortable…looks bad ass too.

I rode @Sender’s thane Lacroix yesterday and I’m a little jealous I don’t have one, that thing is epic.

I haven’t ridden @Hummie’s deck a ton, but the couple of hours of ride time I have on it is very impressive. The thing is incredibly well balanced, the concave and the drops are very gradual. For lack of a better word and at the risk of getting flamed, the ride quality is ‘sublime’.

I still feel like the LY TopSpeed is one of the best thane decks every made for esk8 that wasn’t specifically made for electric skateboard use.

3 Likes

What do you think about the hooch? I can’t decide to pull the trigger :slight_smile: Do you have any pictures of yours :face_with_monocle: Not easy enclosure i believe!

2 Likes

I like the deck a lot, it’s very comfortable, but at 38 inches I’m so spread out I feel like my man bits are a wind sock :slight_smile:. The only real complaint I have is that the wheelbase is tiny for the size of the deck, the trucks sit very far inside.

I think the rum runner would be a better fit.

5 Likes

I too love my Powell peralta decks. Make easily some of the nicest kicktails out there Imo. If your looking for something longer/for higher speeds the Byron essert frog is a beauty.

hd_product_Powell-Peralta-Essert-Frog-Set-HD

Ohh and the urethane bumpers are awesome and match the new abec cores perfectly lol.

11 Likes

I rode the Hooch, the build quality is top notch, like some of if not the best. But I wouldn’t go Hooch. It is a bit of a confusing shape for Es8. Hard to explain… but the Rum Runner… thats what I want to try after riding on @mmaner 's Hooch

2 Likes

Somebody suggested this recently and it looks awesome. I would love to see a build with this.

2 Likes

It exists https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/first-builds-byron-essert-frog-truncated-tesseract-12s4p-x2-almost-done/63581?u=strattos

LOL still haven’t finished my gf’s board this weekend hopefully lol.

Coulda sworn I responded to you @Sender whoops!

1 Like

fullsizeoutput_1f81

idk about best of 2018… maybe she can be the best just for a weekend :slight_smile:

This is the new 2018 Landyachtz Canyon Arrow, an aluminum enclosure from Shenzhen, Calibers, cut Akashas, Flipsky 6.6, etc. I’m having a custom grip tape cut for it that is just two white + signs.

https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/decks/72888/2018-landyachtz-canyon-arrow-lighthouse-longboard-skateboard-deck-w-grip

5 Likes

If that had a kicktail it would be tits… Great looking deck

3 Likes

That looks like a blast!

2 Likes

beee

Big fan of the Gravity 45" Big Kick … Solid layout for cruising

2 Likes