The Black Beauty 4WD Hub Build

SUBSCRIBED this build is going to be nasty I can’t wait. Your friend does gorgeous work with those hub motors man. Cant wait to see it on a deck.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Lipos for years in Helicopters and now in E-boards and never had one explode yet. I do balance charge them every cycle though.

2 Likes

Wasn’t meaning to start anything with my comment, it was a joke. My friend is building the pack for me, the same crazy rocket scientist dude who built the hub motors, i’m just going on what he’s told me, I’m not an expert on any of this stuff, so yeh, sorry if I put anyone off with my comment.

1 Like

Both are dangerous… no matter what chemistry you are using you have to properly monitor your battery and cells…

2 Likes

That is the best method for charging lipos because individual cells become unbalanced after a few discharges at these higher currents.

A few changes made this week, mainly around the battery and the deck. The battery is going to be 8S6P using the Panasonic NCR20700B which should give more than enough juice to push the 4 hubs up hills. My crazy friend said it should be able to do like 180 amps or something crazy.

The deck is also slightly changed with now two layers of 3mm vertically laminated (I don’t even know what this means but he said its strong) bamboo sandwiched between two layers of carbon and then carbon top and bottom to give it a sexy look.

I’ve got some renderings my friend sent me and he’s making the deck for me at the moment. It’s boss! Super pumped to finish this so i can replace my evolve that keeps trying to kill me daily.

7 Likes

6P of the 20700 is just crazy :smiley: - why so much? I’d rather go for higher voltage…

The speed should be plenty fast, around 35km/hr, I want range and torque :slight_smile:

your range will not increase just because you went parallel instead of series. Your total energy will stay the same. Torque will not be a problem either way as the 20700 have low voltage sag just like the 30Q. Actually torque will probably be even better at say 10S as you can adjust your gearing for the same top speed as 8S.

1 Like

I just want to be able to go long distance. These batteries have a tonne of power in them, which means I can go for long distances without charging. That’s my main goal with this build, to be able to go the distance at a safe and comfortable speed, but also climb any hill :slight_smile:

? I just explained to you that distance will not be affected by rearranging your cells to a 10S config. The total energy in your pack is what matters and a s long as the same number of cells is used nothing changes. 8*6 = 48 and 10x5=50 --> you’d have even more range in a quite similar 10S pack as you can fit two additional cells. You could also go 12x4=48 and have 12S and exactly the same energy in your pack as in your initial 8S6P with the added benefit of a more efficient drive train, higher top speed/same top speed but lower gearing for higher torque.

2 Likes

I’m no battery expert by any means, alls i’m saying is what I wanted to go for, I don’t want the board to be too crazy fast, thats why i’ve kept it to around 35km/hr.

I just now realized you are using Hub motors and no belt setup - the gearing argument is then obviously flawed. You will also have a hard time changing your kv so adjusting the voltage is obviously the only way then. 8S6P will give you almost 700Wh - that will keep you going for around 50Km - wow

1 Like

I also want to be friend of your friend :grin::grin:. Very good looking project!!

2 Likes

Your argument is correct about voltage regardless of direct drive or geared drive. I have tested this theory by taking 2 6s/ 5000 Lipo packs and running them in series first for 12s/5000 and then running them in parallel for 6s/10000 Both yielded the same range and the 12s setup yielded what felt like double the torque and speed. 6s was good for cruising the boardwalk at 10 mph but for hill climbing, higher voltage is king.

3 Likes

Did you also change the motor to a lower kv when you switched to 12s?

No, I didn’t change anything except the voltage. Running dual motors 230KV with TB 12s 120a ESC’s 16/36 gears 90mm wheels I also ran dual 145kv Carvon motors on 12s. Frankly I don"t know if 8s would provide enough torque for hub motors. Even at 12s my 145kv direct drives had trouble going up hills over 10% grade It might be ok on flat ground.

My friend did the calculations for me, he does this stuff for a living. It’s also 4WD don’t forget :slight_smile: Thanks for the input folks regardless, we shall see!

2 Likes

The calculations on this stuff are usually just a guesstimate. Actual experience is what we are pulling our info from. And if anything, 4wd will probably need more battery. But if it does rock on 8s, we would love to hear about it.

Some more updates! Part of the deck has been pressed, and it’s being sliced up. After the shaping the carbon fibre will be laminated and fused to the bamboo. Can’t seem to upload a video, so here’s a still from the video my friend sent me.

4 Likes