The Clearwater Group Ride this weekend was awesome

Lots of people were there, Esk8 Squad Central Florida, Esk8 Squad Orlando, and a crew we met down there called Skunk Ape Skates. They were cool and gave me beer, then made me turn off my cam while talking to them which would have made a killer wrap up to the video but i decided to respect.

I made this with my Hero 5 Black and gimbal, Premier CC, filmed on a Ninebot Z10.

had a great turnout too!

9 Likes

…did any Scientologists manage to stop you and inform you why esk8 is bad and Scientology is good?

4 Likes

It was an awesome ride! Now I have to fix a magnet retaining clip that came loose when I hit a big bump. 20190218_144700

3 Likes

Confirming, biggest group ride I’ve been a part of. So many boards we drew maybe a bit too much attention. :oncoming_police_car::oncoming_police_car:

3 Likes

its only going to get bigger. Pretty soon we’ll have our own critical mass. The scene is growing fast!

2 Likes

Wait, the cops showed up?!

1 Like

@longhairedboy Oh yeah! I’d love to do a big event/race some day.

1 Like

they did indeed.

i’m not in this pic, i was down the street with part of the squad that had been previously spoken to. Then we took off and met up with these guys later.

1 Like

Why did they stop you?

“too large of a group” they wanted us to break up into no more than 10 person groups because of traffic and we needed permits for larger groups to hold up traffic.

“riding on the sidewalk” when there were crowds, and

“riding in the street and holding up traffic”, and

“not waiting on the crosswalk people to cross”, i think a lot of people just blew through the crosswalk and just sort of wove through the pedestrians.

Though i’m pretty sure that the final straw was when somebody in the group wouldn’t stop when asked, and i think somebody was yelling at a pedestrian for some reason.

There was over an hour of sequential ride footage and i dropped it to around 15 minutes because 1) some people were doing things i don’t want to endorse and 2) nobody will ever watch a video that’s an hour long on youtube. Attention spans are barely 11 minutes on these on a good day, which is why i use music to edit them down and make them exciting since i’m not tishaun fahie and can’t exactly make everything look utterly amazeballs like he does. I will get there, though.

2 Likes

On the one NYC ride I went on there was a ton of this, but for the most part we followed most of the rules of the road. At one point i was with a smaller group and some guy did yell at us for not know how to skate from the back of a taxi that was about it.

I feel like if theres gonna be a really unreasonable rule about ESK8s its gonna be because of a group ride.

1 Like

Among the things i cut out are, in no particular order:

• people swerving on and off the sidewalk in congested areas, meaning high traffic and high pedestrian count
  • people blowing through crosswalks full of people
  • really boring parts of the ride, christ rides are fucking boring to watch unless you’re constantly cutting scenes
  • people swarming. This is especially bad. Groups should be a glob, not a swarm. When we swarm cars and people and blow through traffic on both sides of cars and swoop in and out of everything, yeah. Fucking dangerous and scary to everyone around us. its an invitation to get pulled over and called out. Unfortunately i wasn’t able to cut all of it out, but i tried.
  • as much footage of anyone not wearing a helmet as is possible. Its impossible to cut all of it out because there’s always some steezer wearing nothing on his/her head and they end up in every shot. I don’t endorse riding without helmets and i never record myself or my crew without one, although i am guilty of riding without them on occasion. I also get onto people who post without helmets because they’re setting a terrible example. In fact i wrote a whole article about ads with models riding without them.
1 Like