The Dream | Arbor Bluetooth | Dual Diag 6374 | 180mm Paris Clones | Ripba and Arbor V1 Mounts | 10s3p 25r | Heatsinked TB VESCS | Omen Dropship | OLED gt2b

sooo… getting some alu and all supplies for heatsink construction on Monday. in the meantime ive been working on yet another project :rofl:

so yea. that is a completely square hangar (full custom) with mounts (fully custom) DUAL SK3 6374’s (6384) and a paris baseplate. swappable axles, yadaa yadaa yadaa. motor mount clamps will be made with titanium. this is by no means a finished product either.

7 Likes

You gotta keep us updated on this!! :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

heatsink completed:

would there be any interest in buying these? they would be sold dirt cheap for people without the tools.

6 Likes

progress!!

12 Likes

Are you planning on top mounting the dropship?

after what might just be the worst, most inefficient way to wire everything, it is complete!

huge shoutout to @longhairedboy for hooking me up with 2 chaka vescs, these things look awesome

3 Likes

so took it out for a test ride… this thing is a fuckin monster!!!

but now i realize my bms is slowly dying :rofl:. anyone got a 10s charge only bms they wanna let go for cheap?

2 Likes

Why titanium and not Al6061 or if you wanna go crazy Al7075? Titanium has a factor 10 lower thermal conductivity compared to aluminium!

(source: https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/6061-T6-Aluminum/Grade-5-Ti-6Al-4V-3.7165-R56400-Titanium)

motor mount clamp =/= heatsink :rofl:

my heatsink is alu 6061.

Yeah, but you kind of want to connect motor mount thermally to the truck hanger. Your truck hanger will have a much larger thermal mass than the thin motor plate. Kind of don’t see the sense in using Ti.

please educate me! I am totally open to any and all suggestions.

I like the idea, but I honestly doubt that the motor plates thermal properties outweigh the increased strength of titanium.

3 Likes

That’s true but if you design them right from the start then why should they break? And the plates are made from Al6061 which is fine. Why not all made of the same material?.

more of a “why the hell not” kinda thing if i’m being honest

2 Likes

I don’t see any reason not to use different substrates.

As I said before, I would use AL7075 for all parts (motor mount and clamp) to not interrupt the thermal flow into the hanger but that’s just my personal opinion. If you are insisting on making the thingy out of Ti why not both? It’s usually the long bit that falls apart and not the actual clamp. Also, machining Ti is a bit of a PITA.

1 Like

A block of titanium large enough for you to machine that hanger is going to cost you way more than the same block in aluminum. McMaster-Carr doesn’t even have blocks large enough to machine a hanger.

Even 7075 is going to be somehow expensive (see below). Got a preliminary quote for two hangers made out of 7075 including hard anodizing for $900 (AUD) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Material price (from McMaster) 6061 Aluminum, 1" Thick x 10" Wide x 1/2 foot long is approx. $46 7075 Aluminum, 1" Thick x 12" Wide x 6" Length is approx. $138

1 Like

That makes me wonder whether 7075 aluminum is really worth the extra cost. How much strength do we really need for a truck hanger?

i’m not sure where you guys are getting this…

hangar and mount arm

are both 6061, i’m just deciding on the material of the mount clamp.

1 Like