The Experiment | Kick Tail Deck | Custom Trucks | Dual Rear Tacon 160 | Custom Mount | 8S Laptop 18650 | VESC

I see you are using 18650 cells, salvaged from laptop batteries. In your 8p configuration you will have a very low amperage you can pull from your battery. I found a safe value to be 1 C for random tested Laptop cells, which would mean 8 amps for 2 Vescs total :sweat: If you pull too much current from your cells they will eventually die, which can result in a not so nice fire. I would look into using cell level fuses (pic attached) or different cells.

Btw: your self designed trucks look awesome

1 Like

1C means 1xcapacity in ampere. If they have like 2.5Ah then 1C will give him 8x1x2.5=20A

You are right about that for new cells, but most random laptop batteries were abused and cannot last much more than 1 C, This is my personal experience with Laptop Cells and it can be different for him, but still suddenly having a fire underneath your feet really sucks. Most of them have somwhere around 1500 mAh to 2100 mAh left.

If assuming 2A per cell min and with 3A max, then he could ‘‘expect’’ 16 - 24 A (8P) and 20 - 30A (10P)

It looks like he has a somewhat good cells choosen for the pack, some time ago I found a guy on ES forum, who said he could pull even about 4-5A per cell for his e-scooter and his pack was also built out from laptop grade cells.

– So, unless, he has some hills to conquer for ‘‘general cruising’’ I think this might be okay… Im using 6inch pneumatic wheels with 6s setup and one motor and ‘‘typical’’ consumtion seems to be about 300-400w (~15-20A), if I can trust my power meter / analyzer.

For acceleration, usually no more than 600-800w is needed. Not sure how @jdyer8989 fast is planning to go but with 8s setup and ‘‘longboard’’ wheels he will be okay, I think.

Im sure he has planned this battery part good enough, the same as he has done to other parts of his build :wink:

1C will still result in much more than the 1A you implied in your initial post.

You are absolutely right but I wanted to say only pulling 1A is a very safe way of treating the cells.

@Okami you are right, let’s see how well it works :slight_smile:

I agree with you guys completely. I know I am expecting way to much from these cells, but it is more of an experiment to actually see how they work than an attempt to build the best battery. I am going into this build knowing what to expect and will be sure to keep a close eye on the pack. As exciting as a flaming board sounds I think I will try to avoid it :grin:. I have not spent anything on the cells so if they get damaged quickly it gives me an excuse to build a proper pack.

Haven’t had much time to work on the board due to a busy school semester, but will be done with school in a couple weeks. I did however finish the battery pack. All soldered, taped up and balanced. Still need to decide on how I want to mount to the board.

I also found some wood dye called FolkArt Ultra Dye , mostly used for arts and crafts, and used it on the edges and wheel pockets of the deck. My plan is to vinyl wrap on the underside of the deck which will cover up the dye on the underside.

The truck hanger is complete and all I need is the time to make it to my friends to have him start the machining. Should be soon.

1 Like

Is anyone is a motorcycle enthusiast on here? If so this should intrigue you. An example of my friends latest project. KTM 525 supermoto turbo kit. Fully CNC machined subframe which will have the intake plenum integrated and contain most of the turbo components. It is also being converted to fuel injection.

8 Likes

Well, I had a go on the trucks over the weekend and I’m going to take it as a learning experience. It was a little rushed into and the results did not turn out so well. We were short on time and the cam programming was being done on the spot. Luckily we ran a a test piece of scrap 6061 so none of the good metal was wasted. The next attempt should go smoothly because we did learn the best way to do all the setups and plan to get the programming done beforehand.

I also put the vinyl on the deck. I like the way it turned out.

6 Likes

@jdyer8989 Im a bit into motorcycles. so why your friend has a turbo for his bike? That is just ‘‘crazy’’ :smiley:

Though I totally dig the idea… im not sure though is it still going to be petrol fueled or diesel now?

For petrol usually they use ‘superchargers’’ right?

But tell me more details… im totally interested in hearing more why he even needs this… and what might be the end power from his ‘beast’ when he finishes building it

very nice deck btw :wink:

Okami, you are right it is crazy :laughing:.

It is still the stock bike motor so it will be running off petrol. There is no need for this really, well other than making a very fast bike. I think it should get up to 80-90hp, which is a decent increase from the stock 50hp.

1 Like

what 3d printer did you use.

Those trucks are awesome and the vinyl looks great! Where did you get the vinyl?

My printer is a Tevo tarantula. The vinyl is just some cheap stuff off amazon. It had good reviews so I thought I would give it a try. Seems to be good quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0059XCVVO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Made some progress today. I finished the 3D printed truck riser with integrated bullet connectors. I should have spaced the bullet connectors a little more apart because they were close together but I slid some rubber in between and secured with hot glue, just to be safe. After that I threw the trucks on the board and took it for a spin. Now I’m even more excited to get it done.

I was surprised how quick the board turned, almost made me a little nervous. I’ve never really ridden longboards, only double kick tail trick boards. I’m wondering if this something I will get use to or does anyone recommend some harder bushings. I might increase the height of the bushing seat in my hangers which should stiffen the trucks up a bit. Anyways on to the pictures,

14 Likes

Printed a larger electronics enclosure that I found on thiniverse. I added a XT-60 port and DB9 for charging.This enclosure is the same as the Boosted style enclosure, but a little larger.

I also finished modifying my cheap 150A watt meter. I made the a harness for the screen so it could be remotely mounted and replaced the 12AWG wire with 10AWG then added the XT-90 connectors.

3 Likes

Still not done with the trucks but hopefully soon.

2 Likes

This looks great! I really like that bullet connector spacer, is that something that you designed or is it on thingiverse or anything?