[The First True] One Piece Caliber Motor Mount

Ahh I see what you mean now… I will look into redesigning it.

1 Like

Why does everyone like the one piece design? Tightening the clamp adds stress to the top of the mount and limits your clamping ability. With a two peice there is no added stresses and you can clamp as much as possible.

2 Likes

My guess is that it’s cheaper to manufacture

Marginal I would assume. You cut an extra slot and drill an extra hole.

Why not make it shorter so less leverage on it? I think as long as you have 8 or 7 teeth engaged on the pulley wheel calculator ur good. Shorter is stronger and easier to manufacture and less in the way. It also does look like it could be weak if just aluminum as there’s a lot cut out. Steel or ti would be nice.

the belt adjustment range is way to large. Belts are relatively cheap, one can easily get without 2-3 tooth of their correct belt length with online calculator and basic ruler measurements. Adjustment range of 1/2 inch or less is good IMO. I would also add a set screw for extra security. I think a 2 piece mount on the truck would be ideal. That way it won’t end up like TB’s mount where you need heatshink and sh*t to take up the slack.

I like the look of the long cutouts though. If it was a bit shorter and ti or even steel. Not that I need one but looking at motor mounts is like looking at Harley’s or something for me. I like this one

You got any of these spare mate??

Guys, newbie question. Why not use just PLA al 100% instead of aluminium? PLA is realy strong, and absorbs impacts better.

the heat from the motors will cause PLA to soften and bend or break. It could be feasible for the clamp portion, though if you wanted a small clamp it’d have to be metal or CF.

1 Like

Thanks!! :ok_hand:

Im down for 1.

PlA is brittle thats why. if anything maybe petg or even better Nylon would work

I saw videos proving that PLA es more resistant than Nylon or PET, but agree in that Nylon resist better heat. Anyways, the motor heat is an issue so thats a good reason. Thanks!

1 Like

care to link to said videos if you still have them logged somewhere?

Sure. This guy use tension stress. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br63xWD2R-I PETG: 31Kgs PLA (wood) 29Kgs NYLON 910: 30Kgs NYLON 618: 33Kgs PLA: 43Kgs.

This one use his hands, by far the PLA is stronger than ABS (i thought it was backwards).

And this use some tools…

why not include a hole for an idler pulley? seems like they are going to be popular.