The Frankenboard šŸ¤– | Loaded Vanguard | Dual 6355 | Dual FOCBOX | 8s 10000mAh | Orangatang Kegels

that board looks legit man awesome job.

2 Likes

The sensored motors are in the house! :sunglasses: Now I just need 18t 15mm pulleys with 8mm bore, since these has a lower kv.

Ty @BoostedBuilder!

6 Likes

Noob question here, but what would be an advantage of sensored motors be? Loving the build, looks stunning!

Better startup torque / smoother startup / no need for a kick push / FOC.

2 Likes

Sweet thanks @BoostedBuilder!

1 Like

Do you have a link for the belt cover?

1 Like

Not exclusively on sensored motors :point_up_2: Sorry to revive this lol

True, but FOC does perform better with sensored motors.

1 Like

Better how?

1 Like

Benjamin Vedder designed the VESC for sensorless operation. As far as I know, that was his main goal. And I think he achieved it, quite well actually. So obviously, itā€™s not much different in FOC. You donā€™t need sensors to run FOC using a VESC. It will perform just as great. However sensors help, at least me. I notice less cogging on start up, my motors heat up less with sensors, and I just have an overall better experience. Sensors sense the position of the rotor can in relation to the coils, so no matter how well the VESC was designed, they help, even if itā€™s just the slightest bit.

Also, this is @fraannk 's build thread so letā€™s stay on topic : )

1 Like

I LIKE UPDATES

So I never got around to install these sexy new sensored motors from @BoostedBuilder , but nowā€™s the time since I finally got my pulleys!

New motors are approx. 186kv, so I installed 18t motor pulleys (combined with the existing 36t wheel pulley) to make my top speed 44km/h. I also printed a new battery enclosure as well as new motor covers to fit the new Caguamas. :heart_eyes:

Board1 Board3 Board4 Board2

I also installed a new, more robust button, and most importantly, I redid the entire charging solution. It is still a two connector design, but it is now much cleaner and much smaller. The cable used for this solution was also re-made from scratch. It is now a combined, soft cable that works really nicely.

Board6

Details such as red countersunk screw washers was added, all credits go to @Deckoz for the inspiration. Board now runs in sensored FOC and runs like a dream. Itā€™s safe to say, that I do not have any more upgrades/changes I want to do to this board. I only need a solution for lights, but thatā€™s not so important yet.

Thanks for following! :smiley: fraannk

9 Likes

How did you get the motor covers to look so well? Did you dremel them?

I modified the STL to fit the bigger circumference of the Caguamas. Then printed, then painted. :slight_smile: EDIT: Get them on my thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3091546

1 Like

Awesome thanks man! , what program did you use to modify the stl file? I tired autodesk to modify for 90mms but when i converted it to a meshā€¦ :sweat_smile: lets jsut say a macbook air couldnt handle it.

I used Autodesk Inventor in Boot Camp :slight_smile: Imported the STL, converted it to a base feature, and then cut away the excess material with the extrusion tool.

1 Like

Thank man man, been going mad with a way to modify that stl file. Thank you!

That is a mighty fine looking Vanguard build sir.

1 Like