The Humpback | 34" deck | Caliber II trucks | Turnigy SK3 6374 | APS mount | DIY 10S4P | FSESC 4.20

G’day guys. This is my first build, so I figured I should chuck it up on here, maybe the experts here can help me avoid making a some dumb mistakes… I’ve pretty much finished sourcing parts for my build, still waiting on the motor and motor mounts to arrive. I’m not sure if I’m going to go for an anti-spark switch or not, from what I’ve read on here they’re pretty unreliable and they’re exxy $$. I’ve got myself an XT90S connector in the meantime which I’ll use in the loop for the battery (hopefully I’ve understood correctly that this can be used in the absence of an on/off switch, pls correct me if I’m wrong.) Here’s what I’ve got so far, I’m currently deciding on my layout and soldering together the battery pack:

2 Likes

Looks good. Are those used cells or new? Loopkeys are the shit. Try really hard to find someone to weld your pack. Soldering them together is a not so good idea.

3 Likes

Is the idea of a loopkey to connect and disconnect the battery every time you want to use it? Any suggestions on how to set this up so it’s convenient? I guess the power drawn by the VESC when not in operation is pretty small anyway… They’re salvaged cells, picked 100 of them up for pretty cheap, I think they’re brand new though out of some faulty vacuum cleaners. I’m taking the risk with soldering cos I’ve got the spare cells anyway… would definitely get a spot welder if I build another pack though.

1 Like

What are you using for an enclosure? And for as small as your pack is, try and get some 18650 holers on Amazon. They’re cheap, then solder those together. If you have a bad cell pop it out and new one in much faster. And using salvaged cells it will happen. I use them all the time.

I’ve always had shit luck trying to solder them. And I can do anything! Not really.

Yes loopkey is basically your switch. And fail proof, within reason. Mounting depends on your enclosure. Cut it in to the side of your enclosure and epoxy the living fuck out of it. Or you can print a holder. Or buy one.

2 Likes

Yep all of these are valid options, I love my loopkeys. I can send @OP a link to my build thread with how I implemented mine as a top mount

1 Like

Send it on over. I know I’ve seen your builds, I don’t recall seeing the loopkey location. As much as I like mine, having it hanging out anywhere is just not good. Keep your mind out of the gutter…

This is what I ended up with, it hasn’t budged since I put it on. Of course the link didn’t work properly. You can look at in this linked post: How I mounted my loopkey

2 Likes

search for How to make XT90S loop key.

loop key is slang for high voltage anti spark switch, made with an XT90-S connector

1 Like

Update on pack building… I’m using a technique I haven’t seen anywhere (I know this is for good reason, it’s frustrating af), soldering copper wire directly to the pack. I understand this is bad because of heat into the cells but I think I have a pretty good technique that only requires <3s of contact between cell and soldering iron. Can anyone suggest any other reasons why I shouldn’t be doing this? I’m slightly concerned about the copper strands coming apart under vibration sometime down the track, but I’m hoping this can be made safe with sufficient polyimide tape and heat shrink…

1 Like

There are plenty of reasons that it’s a terrible idea lol

You already mentioned the heat one, but next, those solder joints look cold. Those are prone to cracking. The copper wire isn’t really in there very well at all, the strands will probably break. Series connections would probably break from the vibration and stiff wire.

It’s just a bad idea really, good luck man. Esk8 vibrations are absolutely brutal

2 Likes

Definitely the worst. You don’t realize it until it’s too late. I made some very useful cell holders using 1" pvc pipe, caps,some springs, and a few pieces of copper pipe that I hammered flat. Like bus bars. And honestly I had no problems with this setup. It sounds crackheadesque but it worked. Hahahah there’s no soldering needing this way either…

2 Likes

Yeah I’d recommend something like NESE before anything like that dangerous copper method

2 Likes

Quick, I need an avocado, a snorkel, and an ice pick, believe me bro I’ve made bongs with less.

1 Like

If you continue doing that, you’re probably going to burn down your house.

3 Likes

@Crisfell that sounds like an interesting method, have you posted at all about how you did this? Or would you be able to explain further? I’d be keen to find out more

1 Like

You talking about the bong or the cell holders? Hah

@Crisfell the cell holders… the bong I can understand

1 Like

Word. Lemme dig these things out of my attic and I’ll send you some pictures. Super easy, idc what the “pros” say, it’s a solid solution for literally just a few bucks. Not speaking about anyone that’s replied in this thread either lol