The MiniNova | Landyachtz Top Speed 34" | Dual TB 5055 190KV | 6s6p battery | 2x VESC | Caliber II Trucks | w/ custom carbon fiber enclosure

Where did you get the deck?

@ArmandR I bought it on Amazon. I got it for $110. It was a steal.

Well after a pleasant experience with Enertion yesterday, I decided to keep my wheel pulleys.

I wasn’t excited about modifying my trucks to get Enertion’s pulley to fit. Thanks to @ra.rend who told me how to remove the bearing from the pulley to get it to fit without modification. I added four 1 mm spacers to prevent the pulley from rubbing on the trucks and to give it enough spacing so the motors have enough room to fit.

6 Likes

Post more pictures!

:slight_smile:

I think have some extra space in my enclosure lol.

10 Likes

Lol dude more lipos…your be able to ride around the world lol

2 Likes

Lol, I know right? I plan on investing in a Li-Ion battery when i get some money. These Lipos are just temporary.

1 Like

That’s a nice enclosure

Yeah along as the enclosure holds up to the rattling …need some time on the board to make sure …

But I’d have a custom built if that won’t fit the stuff that’s pre made

The enclosure should hold up. It feels pretty stiff with 3 layers of carbon fiber, and they say CF is stronger than steel.

I’m thinking about having a 6s6p battery custom made for really long range.

The bigger the better :metal:t2:

1 Like

Are those pink truck risers?

Indeed. lol

@treenutter asked me for some advice on carbon fiber materials. I’ll post my response here in case anybody else is interested.

I know earlier I had advised against carbon fiber fabrication. I was only semi serious. It is still a very expensive procedure, but it can be a lot of fun, and it will definitely make your board stand out if done properly. I for one am really happy with how my enclosure came out, but really do wish I was a little bit smarter about buying materials.

Altogether I spent like $250 on materials. I bought the pump for $70 on amazon, which was the most expensive part. The next thing that killed my wallet was the shipping on all the individual items. The guy I bought my materials from on ebay (Elite Motoring) did not give me deal on shipping, even tho i bought like 7 items from him. I think he charged me the full price of shipping for all the individual items. I would highly recommend finding a local supplier, cause ebay will charge you a lot for shipping.The next mistake I made was buying unidirectional carbon fiber, in addition to regular twill carbon fiber. Unidirectional carbon fiber has really strong tensile strength in one direction. I was originally going to build my own longboard deck, and I was going to use the unidirectional length wise to strengthen the deck. I tried to use the uni on my enclosure, but I couldn’t get it to form around certain corners very well. I also bought a roller that I didn’t use. The paint brush I bought worked just fine. I also used maybe 15% of the epoxy i purchased. So don’t buy a lot, unless you plan on doing a lot of projects.

So here is the break down: Unidirectional carbon fiber - never used - $30 wasted Fiberglass application roller - never used - $12 wasted

With that being said, here is what you will need: Vacuum pump (mine is 4 CFM) Twill Carbon Fiber fabric Epoxy Resin (get an epoxy with enough working time so you can take your time, mine had a working time of 50-70 minutes, and make you buy one with a clear color.) Mould Release (I used wax. I’m not sure if that is the best option.) Peel Ply (i used POROUS TEFLON COATED PEEL PLY, it is extra smooth and will leave a much smoother finish when peeled.) Vacuum breather/bleeder cloth Vacuum bagging film Vacuum tape and Wood. (Don’t forget you need wood to build your mould. Wood cost money too!)

Note: As you can see in some of my pictures I used tape to make the mould sit flush with the deck. I used no-residue duct tape, which was not the best idea. When I spread the wax on the duct tape, it made the tape really wavy, which shows on the final product. When you vacuum your carbon fiber, expect every little detail to show through on your final product.

I still have to add another coat of epoxy to make it shinny, which I still have gotten to yet. The project is not finished!

With all that being said, I am told you can cut cost on materials buy using Packing tape and saran wrap/plastic-wrap as alternatives. I can neither confirm or deny this, so take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck!

5 Likes

Drilled some holes, and mounted the enclosure with some T-nuts and Thumb Screws(Type P).

Added some weather stripping to the enclosure to absorb vibrations and avoid any rattling noises.

And…tada!!!

3 Likes

How are you keeping the wheel pulleys in place with the bearing taken out? The bearing is what holds the pulley in place without it slipping off the wheel.

1 Like

I still havent given it a test run. I’m still waiting on some parts. Right now it appears to stay in place without the bearing. If becoming loose becomes a problem, I was thinking about gluing the pulley to the wheel. Worse case scenario, put the bearing back in and modify my trucks.

Cool, good luck, the enclosure looks great. If it makes you any more confident, chopping the trucks is pretty easy with a dremel and doesnt take more than half an hour per side.

Do you have a link?

Nice writeup. I also have some uni CF - great stuff but not the best for an enclosure (maybe inline single direction for covers or edges reinforcement).

I might add a black plastic washer under the wing to protect the CF from being vibrated and cut by the wing of that screw holding it down.

Besides another layer of epoxy, you can so do a simple clear spraypaint that is meant for UV (prevent yellowing). Faster and probably cheaper.

http://www.krylon.com/products/uvresistant-clear-coating/ their clear gloss 1305: https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-1305-Coatings-11-Ounce-UV-Resistant/dp/B00397STRW $13. You can sometimes find it at a local store (walmart, etc.) but usually stupid expensive (>$20). Amazon is a good one for getting a decent price.

If you do another gel coat of epoxy - look for the hardener that is UV stabilized as it’ll help with discoloration from UV. (West systems 207 hardener).

Looks great man - look forward to seeing riding vids soon!