I’m a software developer, originally from Firenze, Italy, I am now based in London, UK, from 2 years. I am not a good rider right now but I’m learning fast because I used to snowboard a lot.
This is my second E-build, this is the first actually reliable build that gave me high speeds, ~12km (~7.5miles) runs, boards starts without pushing, never complains when going uphill! I’m finally satisfied and having fun, it was a very fast build (basically bolted everything on the board and tried it, like my ususal) and now I’m looking to improve it.
edit: update this is my latest build status and a pic:
here the original post continues if you want to see the full story…
Here they are, the two boards I built side by side, the first setup is mounted on the short deck, that’s the old one and my current setup is mounted on the long one.
- Cheap chinese board (it’s heavvy, I don’t recommend it, I will switch to a new board soon) http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Stylish-Cool-Sport-Four-Wheels-Print-Long-Board-Street-wooden-Skateboard-skate-board-22/32514773745.html - I got it for 33GBP shipping included because of an offer, it came with trucks, it was the first item I bought when thinking of building an electric skateboard so I could learn to ride a longboard first. Will be replaced soon with the red/black coston deck.
- Enertion Single Drive Kit with motor and extra belts, it’s so big that is impossible to make it hot! I love it! [ 304 GBP + 69 GBP customs (damn, customs are pricey here in UK!) ] It came with the old mount (screws instead of this new drive hub http://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/36t-12mm-enertion-drive-hub/ which I will order soon because of my poor wheel-drilling skills)
- ESC 100A 6S - bought from the same chinese seller that sold me the hub motors http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Electric-skateboard-longboard-sensored-ESC-100A/1987363_32571133664.html [ 44 GBP ~ 62 USD ] (see second part of the post), I have to say that the ESC is pretty good, is already tuned for electric skateboards, features very smooth motor acceleration, regenerative breaking, never heats, low voltage alert (so you don’t ruin your batteries), it’s compact and has a strong case, unfortunately is rated for 6S only - mounting holes are 2.5mm, don’t drill to enlarge them like I did the first time or you may create internal short-circuits - edit: I’m not happy with these ESC, I don’t recommend particularely, they tend to fail pretty easily, I switched to a cheap RC aircraft ESC now until my VESC arrives)
- I got a cantrememberthename controller from the same supplier, it’s a good cheap compact RC controller. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2-4Ghz-mini-remote-controller-with-receiver-for-electric-skateboard-longboard/1987363_32607181070.html ( I got them with the hub motor kit otherwise 30 GBP ~ 43 USD )
- Lipo 6S 5A 50C high quality, recommended! (shipping was not fast but good product, ordered another one) [41 GBP ~ 58 USD] is now 49 GBP, don’t know why http://www.aliexpress.com/item/XXL-22-2V-5000mAh-50C-6S-6-Cell-Max-55C-LiPo-Battery-22-2-Volt-for/32389994950.html
Total cost: ~450 GBP (640 USD) Total cost including customs: ~520GBP
Also for the motor kit I needed to get an angle grinder, to have it on the same day I went to a local shop and paid it 40 GBP instead of 20 GBP - Also the circlips pliers were 10 GBP instead of 3 GBP ^^
- New Deck - will replace the yellow one this weekend!
I’m not expert in boards at all but I wanted a longboard that was a bit wider especially on the ends and lighter than the yellow one. I paid the board 76GBP, and I paid 46GBP for import tax + customs handling (courier fee), that’s crazy, only in UK! ( And with Parcelforce courier, which I don’t recommend at all! )
- Enclosure (suggestions are welcome!) - I thought about getting a tupperware-like plastic container, making holes for the motor wires and fixing a battery charging port there with hot glue or something.
- Space Cell 12S for more juice, that will require a VESC (already preordered from Enertion) and will
- Make another build with Enertion Dual motors to have more power and stronger breaking! (probably in autumn)
Will soon put another 6S lipo of those in parallel as it arrives, to reach 10A and probably order an Enertion Space Cell when my VESC will arrive or some time later.
History (of my first build)
My first build was a failure. I bought cheap stuff from china two times! My target was to spend as less as possible and then I ended up spending more, having broken parts: 1 motor unusable, 1 motor spins the other direction, 1 motor often doesn’t spins without a small push, 2 fried ESCs, and walking back home multiple times with a broken skate in my hand.
Here’s a video of the first test after unboxing them:
The good thing is I learned a lot! (at least that ^^) Bench testing is completely different from testing on the streets, and chinese suppliers should learn that!
Then I watched this video on motors ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjeIZllnEQY ) and decided to get a single motor kit.
Basically my problem were few, I’m heavvy (a little bit over 100kg) and the road/pavements around where I live are not all very good and hub motors hate that! Trucks started bending and the hub motors suffer from it a lot, more friction = more work and more HEAT! When these motor overheat, because the magnets are only glued to the walls of the motor, they move out of place and they can’t start rotating anymore without a push, or they rotate on the wrong direction!! or they exploooode!
I will post soon a photo of the exploded motor.
Also the wheels were very hard making a lot of noise while travelling and absorbing less shocks, switching to the newer ones was a big improvement. The deck instead is this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Canadian-maple-board-fashional-Brush-Street-Fish-highway-travel-long-board-four-small-Longboard-skate-board/1376369161.html?shortkey=EZBbe632&addresstype=600 It’s not bad, it comes with griptape for 45 GBP, it’s light but I’m still afraid of riding it switch at speed also I can’t try ollies currently with those hub motors or I’ll break them completely
I will post more on my youtube channel: ( https://www.youtube.com/user/makevoid )
Sorry I feel I wrote a bit too much! What do you think? Do you have suggestions?