The NooB | Subsonic Shadow 37 | Caliber 2 | Flipsky 6354 | DickyHo Mounts | Ownboard 10s2p x 2 | Flipsky Dual 4.2 | DONE!

Ahhh you bought that blackout deck! I have my eye on it for a long while now but could never justify getting it since I have no plan for it for the moment.

Congrats on the amazing purchase!

Yeah… Was poking around on the Subsonic site and saw the discount… Had to pull the trigger.

Printing some risers… 1/4 + 6 degree wedge … we’ll have to see if it’s large enough to take out the wheel bite20181026_130155

1 Like

Got the board all together… found that the 10s2p was lacking… Ordered up another Ownboard 10s2p to run in parallel to get a 10s4p. Needed a new enclosure… decided to try some new stuff… brother inlaw just moved close and he’s got a CNC router… so I designed a new enclosure in Fusion360… carved it out of pink foam and fiberglassed it.

Unfortunately I didn’t realize that the Bondo resin I used was Poly Resin and eats foam. :smiley: Turned out okay all things considered.

20181125_190116 Carving Buck

20181126_185758 Sanding Buck

20181126_203758 20181126_205518 Fiberglass and Vacuum bagging

20181127_172116 Sanding

Still have a bunch of sanding to do then bondo/paint.

First time modeling curved models, cutting on cnc and fiberglassing. Fun stuff!

4 Likes

Done! Mostly :smiley:

Bluetooth modules from Flipsky are NRF based so need to replace with some HM10… Will flash with Ackmaniac firmware at that point.

Will need to remake the enclosure at some point… probably after my next build. Need to buy 2 more screws… dropped them and can’t find them.

20181203_004845 20181203_004918

6 Likes

You have the ability to get a really good mold buck with that CNC. Have you considered vacuum forming ABS?

1 Like

I thought about it… then realized I’d have to build a heater for the ABS and a vacuum former. Maybe in the future when I have a bit more time for projects. I was more excited in getting the board up and running.

Great looking build man! The fiber glass resin on the foam…yea I learned that one on of the last layers of the first deck I vacuum formed…warped the whole deck on the end that the foam got eaten away.

How’s the board ride? Is it meeting your needs as that last mile?

Boards running good. Rode into work for the first time today… first clear day since it got finished.

Will need to figure out which street to come up… the street I attempted today was too steep. Will try the next one over to see if its not as steep.

1 Like

Too steep?? How so? Was the board just not strong enough to get up? If you are running truly 10s4p with some 63XX motors, I wouldn’t see how that would be the case!

The board made it about half way up the hill before stalling out. Perhaps I have some settings configured incorrectly… according to a quick calculation… Its an 60ft elevation gain over about .1 miles… for about a 10% grade. Board should be able to handle this.

I’m using MManers settings from here: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/flipsky-dual-fsesc4-20-info-review/71079

1 Like

You can paint on something like liquid latex to act as a barrier if you want to use this sort of foam. Or even masking tape will work. There are PU foams like surfboard foam or boat building pu foam and insulation foam which won’t get eaten by the polyester resin.

2 Likes

Yeah… I had started to cover the buck in tape when I got lazy… I had assumed the resin was epoxy and not poly resin… I dont think epoxy eats the foam.

I’ll look into latex or a different type of foam next time… thanks for the headsup.

1 Like

https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/category/pu-foam-board Easy to cut and sand. Does not get eaten by the resin!

Yea that hill doesn’t sound like it would beat your board. Something sounds off to me. I don’t know much about the FlipSky speed controller though so I wouldn’t be able to tell you what to look for. Someone here will though@

Really like that deck and the black on natural looks excellent!

How are you finding the whole eSk8 thing as a snowboarder?

Nice. So the wheels rub?

Currently doesnt rub with the risers… they are 1/4 inch 6 degree… without the risers I was getting wheelbite