The Ollin VESC is back!

Do you plan to sell this deck alone ?

From my understanding it is a deck only with the option of integrated water proof on/off and water proof charge port.

5 Likes

So no integrated batteries :frowning: too bad

Good question. I am not sure if that will be an option or not. @OllinBoardCompany do you know if batteries will be an option on the new decks?

1 Like

Micro USB sucks ballsack and Mini USB is awesome. That may have something to do with it.

For the real win, switch to USB C.

Anyone designing any NEW hardware with Micro USB should have their head checked

5 Likes

+1 vote for usb c

2 Likes

I assume you hate micro-b’s in general so I’ll ask you this, how are micro-USB connector’s bad for new vesc’s or existing vesc’s like the focbox?

They’re bad because they always stop working after some amount of time and get to where you have to wiggle them, and they only work while you’re wiggling them. As soon as you let go, they disconnect again. Literally every single one I’ve ever had. On something like an ESC that doesn’t matter as much, but on a skateboard remote or a phone that is a disaster.

By far the best are Mini USB (but physically a tad large) and USB C

Of course USB A is better than all those but they are too big for most applications.

Welcome back Ollin glad you guys are back on the forum

5 Likes

When would it come to pass? Be it at the end of the world?

Your micro-USB connectors, jacks, cables don’t brake because of sheer time but rather because you (If i’m not mistaken) casually plug them in and plug them out. But when it comes to your vesc’s you don’t need to casually plug them in and out, and in my case I only had to plug my focbox in and out once.

2 Likes

Micro-USB was designed to wear out the cable first rather than the connector. Micro USB are also much more abundant and readily available than mini. The amount you plug the cable into the vesc shouldn’t damage anything. It’s not like you have to charge through micro USB.

USB C vesc has got to be on the horizon

1 Like

I believe the FocBox Unity uses USB Type-C :+1: Really wish more companies would start adopting it for everything.

We use that connector like 10 times in the esc’s lifetime. Mini/micro usb is up to the task and it’s cheaper than type c. I’d say cheaping out on that connector is not a bad choice.

1 Like

@Wraith there is a good chance we will be releasing more photos and details of the new FreeRide deck later this week if everything goes smoothly for the guys in the shop. I will make a new thread to announce the new deck as soon as we are ready to go, so keep an eye out.

@ElskerShadow we will be offering integrated batteries with the decks domestically, for international customers we are still working on finding a solution to the high cost associated with shipping batteries internationally.

@b264 thank you for clearing up the micro USB verses the mini USB. I spoke to @chaka and his response was nearly identical to yours. To answer the question of USB C, Jeramiah said it is a little overkill for a single VESC but he is considering it on future iterations of the VESC and integrated FreeRide deck.

@briman05 thanks, I remember how much time Jeramiah use to spend on this forum, I will do my best to fill his shoes!

9 Likes

mind telling him Greco says hi?

1 Like

If that isn’t an answer to good questions, I don’t know what is. Thanks @OllinBoardCompany!

4 Likes

Like good old times.

4 Likes

Ollin VESC’S KILL IT. Ive pushed these escs hardd and they push back. I would highly recommend them! $450 for the pair was okay, but with the price drop their even better! I swapped these two out with flipskys before I sold my board…hehehe 20180929_071813%5B1%5D

2 Likes

@skslingo21 That is awesome!

1 Like

Any updates on the hollowcore?

1 Like