"The only thing your enclosure should be holding up is itself"

The deck is the strongest part of any build. Unless it’s made of carbon fiber. Think about that for a minute. Then do whatever the hell you want. My way is the best.

4 Likes

It really does depend on each specific build, my all cf build has the battery sandwiched between foam on the deck and foam on the enclosure, the battery is free floating, I have 0 flex to contend with but do need to mitigate vibrations that can rattle your fillings out :yum:

https://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/original/3X/9/5/95b942047d000bba01a8c7de884b9a659d26592c.jpg

6 Likes

The deck isn’t the strongest part of all builds. I’ve broken a deck while the rest is still totally functional.

I think that’s what he meant, typo :yum:

2 Likes

I’m with you on this. All my components are in a fibreglass enclosure and bolts to the deck with m6 bolts and wood inserts. It’s not the only way but works for me, perhaps because I have confidence in the guy who built my enclosure… Each to their own i suppose, perhaps some horror stories from people who have had problems with either method?

5 Likes

fiberglass is the shit. IT has all the benefits of lightweight plastics for the most part but also has the added benefit of being paintable, sculpt-able, and body-filler-able. Basically you can work on it the way you would do body work on a car and its just easier to deal with.

just make sure you have good masking or dust management when cutting or you’ll die of choking.

4 Likes

I’ve used fibreglass for about 30 years now and generally aim to look as much like a spaceman as I can.

3 Likes

i see @psychotiller is computing up a clever response. I wonder if i can slip in a joke about his mom before he finishes posting…

14 Likes

I’m sure there are exceptions, Like if you router out the bottom too much or buy walmart decks. But relying on a thin flange and m4 screws spaced out to hold 10+lbs of expensive electronics is stupid no matter what your enclosure is made out of. ( And I haven’t had any abs enclosures fail on any of my builds.)

2 Likes

got… dammit… i couldn’t think of anything…

5 Likes

Don’t you have some Resin to huff you BassTurd?

10 Likes

too busy smoking out your mom while i glue her batteries into her enclosure…

11 Likes

That was a regular 8.625" park deck that had been electrified. No routing or deck-weakening or funny business

1 Like

I did two things at the same time in my Vanguard build:

VESC’s and remote receiver are permanently attached to the deck by hot glue. The enclosure is just a cover.

The battery is held by the battery enclosure.

So the expensive electronics (e.g. VESC’s) will not fall off the board. The battery can fall, but maybe it is better for it to fall if it catches fire.

What about epoxing the batteries to the deck? And then the enclisure to batteries. And fill up everything with epoxy… If something fails you can make a new board, but it won’t fail because of something falling off

1 Like

Does it have any flex to it? I have the fiberglass stuff but I’m impatient waiting to get my replacement board and want to get started. I can use the enclosure I have for the mold but no way to get the board Concave.

First off buy a good solid enclosure! The one I bought off @bigben is up to the job! Once anything is stuck directly to the board or enclosure it becomes part of the structure so naturally will have more vibration travel through it. I choose to have all my electronic components loose in my enclosure with some foam to dampen vibrations,seems to be the best option in my opinion for less stress on components.

2 Likes

Cool topic ! Yes +1 for FG custom enclore. Laying in it like in the Trampa flat one, that should be a trusty one too ! (…$£€) But when I used small/cheap/light enclosure, like “flowerpot saucer” I like to fix all to the deck too… (or my 1st FG one :blush: secure all with dual lock 3M or 3d print support to strip with velcro to the deck when I use many small lipo like 5x2s under small cruiser). The thing is maybe : flex deck / light enclosure > to the deck. And hard deck/ hard encloruse > in the enclore ?!..

2 Likes

9 Likes

This ain’t cars and coffee put the hood down son…put it down

I kid I kid har har har

6 Likes