The Orange Firefly | Turnigy SK3 6374-192kv | 10S3P 25R | VESC 6 | 3D-printed enclosure & motor mount | Custom deck

I would also like to try printing them :slight_smile:

Thanks, I am happy you like it :smiley: !

I have made an Google Drive folder with the original Inventor-files and the STL-files :slight_smile:

I am using a 295Mmm belt, because my pulley setup (40T/15T) is quite big. I am not sure it will work with a standard 265mm belt :slight_smile: The distance between the motor and wheel axis is 77mm. Also the mount only works if you have a hollow wheel pulley, or some flat 4mm bolts - so the wheel pulley doesn’t collide with the 4mm bolts.

2 Likes

Cool I’ll give it a shot and let you know. Thanks for sharing.

I’m looking forward to see the result :slight_smile:

@solidgeek I had a hard time finding this post :grinning:.

I still have these rods if you want some, just let me know the size you want.

I had some issues with my printer, it get out of level sometimes and my ABS slurry was too weak. Re-election and re-add, printing now in blue ABS at 100% infill.

I’ll post the result tomorrow, gonna take 9 hours or so to print, but I’ll install it in my beater board tomorrow and see how it does.

@mmaner funny how different people get the same ideas :stuck_out_tongue: It seems to work great with the rods.

Well I salavage my 3mm steel rods from two old CD/DVD-drives I had lying around. Those old drives got some pretty neat and reusable components. So I probably don’t need anymore, but thanks for the offer :slight_smile: !

Sounds like you got yourself a tiresome 3D-printer :confused: I have no experience in printed ABS using ABS slurry (juice?), do you think it is nessesary to print it in ABS? The carbon-fiber PLA seems very strong, and I think it would be easier to print with (if you have some of course)?. Looking forward to see the result!

It’s not the best printer, but it works pretty well. I have a little pla but no cf pla. Abs is what I normally use, pretty strong stuff.

Hows the carbon fiber mount holding up?

Well I’m still waiting for my new VESC6, so I haven’t been able to do a real test-ride yet :frowning: However I have tried putting quite a lot of stress on the mount, and it doesn’t seem to bend at all (the steel rods probably adds some stiffness). So far I’m very impressed with the strenght :slight_smile:

I will make an update on its performance as soon as possible!

1 Like

Hey, solidgeek! You’ve really got a cool build going on! I’m liking the 3d printing aspect to the board and think that I might end up doing something similar. Are the designs made to fit on the Caliber G II or are they for the Caliber IIs? Otherwise what trucks are you using?

Hi solidgeek or anyone that knows, I really like the idea of 3D printing the motor mounts and was wondering what sort of motor it would fit (63mm or 50mm diameter) … or the hole spacing. Also is there enough space to have a dual motor system?

Hey @Julmust :slight_smile: Thanks, i’m glad you like the idea! I’m not excatly sure, the ones I bought came from a guy on eBay, this is the ones I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/371926081730?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

@lucasbuckleynz the design is made for a 63mm motor or one with the same holespacing as the G160 from Turnigy :slight_smile: The mount is quite thick, so I’m not sure if it will work for a double motor setup.

At least you will need do use a little shorter motor than my G160 :stuck_out_tongue: The holespacing is:

1 Like

Okay, great @solidgeek . Looks like they are the same actually! Where did you buy your abec clones and how much were they?

Good! I also bought my ABEC clones on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161958552460?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=461260479372&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Very nice wheels to a good price and shipped with the Global Shipping Program, which is nice if you live in Europe :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been working quite a lot on my board the past few days. I have 3D-printed an enclousure for the electronics, and a riser with 3.5mm banana-plugs for the motor. Here is some pictures

Next I plan to 3D-print the enclosure for the batteries and BMS. And then I only need to finish my remote… :smiley:

3 Likes

So I just finished all the enclousere today :yum:

It came out pretty neat I think, with the sleek and simple look :smile:

Can’t wait to finish the remote!!!

17 Likes

Loving the design of that enclosure, I’m trying to design one for my board atm and I’m trying to do something similar. Would be great to have some more pics or an STL for better inspiration.

1 Like

Hi Bob, Thanks I am glad you like it :smile:! I will gladly share the 3D-files, however I am not at my computer at the moment, so you will have to wait a few more hours.

EDIT: I have uploaded the STL-files to the same Google Docs folder as my motormount: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5QG3s3e1xG8ajNGZ0hEUXVuY3M :slight_smile: !

1 Like

I have made an Thingiverse account so I can share my 3D-designs with you guys! Just released my enclousure design https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2423483 - hope you enjoy :smile:

My 3D-printed motor mount is doing surprisingly well so far, with some improvements I think it actually could be a permanent solution.

4 Likes

hey,

Great job, do you have an idea of where I can purchase the rod inserts for the mount?