THE OSPREY | Single Hub Motor | VESC

I had sidewinders when I had an Evolve Gen2 Bamboo. One of the problems with the sidewinders is how much longer they make your wheelbase. The larger your wheelbase, the larger your turning radius. At 10mph you can have super loose sidewinder trucks and they work great, but at 17-18mph, they’re pretty sketch unless you crank them down or get hard bushings. Plus they make your board feel much larger and they add extra weight.

I second the recommendation for hubs. The Carvon V2.5 is a nice package deal and easy to install.

So I’ve been riding my sidewinder build for about 3-4 years now, I had another board for a little while. Drop down, super firm, and I think bear trucks. I actually still have it. But my problem was I literally could not turn on it, I tried every different tightness, and nothing. Would a solution be to get softer bushings?

Just compared the prices, if I did it without the hub motor, total cost would come out to about 295, and the single is 299, and since there will be virtually no maintenance, looks like I will be choosing the hub motor.

Is the Hub motor louder, or quieter than a brushless motor?

My Carvon on FOC mode is silent. Even on a quiet street at night.

There’s definitely less maintenance with hubs. I change belts every 6 months on my belt drive unless I have an early break or a rock gets caught in one. So that’s a little savings there. [quote=“Michael319, post:23, topic:9208, full:true”]

Just compared the prices, if I did it without the hub motor, total cost would come out to about 295, and the single is 299, and since there will be virtually no maintenance, looks like I will be choosing the hub motor.

Is the Hub motor louder, or quieter than a brushless motor? [/quote]

I have a set of Bears. Nice trucks, but I prefer Calibers. The Funbox Trucks that the Carvon’s come with ride similar to my Caliber II’s. I put soft bushings on my regular boards and my Esk8’s. I weigh 135, so I just don’t have the weight to compress harder bushings as easily. That’s probably your issue with turning on your Bears.

Do you use 78a bushings? 80a?

I mix it up between 78’s to 90’s, barrels and cones. If you want more turn, go softer and cones. More stability go with barrels. It’s one of those things you have to experiment a bit with to get the set up you like. I have 90 barrels board side and 88 barrels street side on my Carvon hubs right now. Not super turny, but stable at higher speeds. Probably going to switch to 88’s board side though.

Your weight is going to be a major factor as well. If you weigh 120 for example, 88’s are going to feel like 92’s for someone who’s 150.

About 120, might be choosing 82 board side, and 80 streetside

Dw, already decided to buy your single hub motor haha.

1 Like

That’s a pretty good place to start. You can also mix and match with the stock Carvon bushings. Getting the right bushing setup can be a night and day difference in your ride.

Build Finished!

Specs: Motor: Carvon single 2.5 with flywheels VESC: Ollin direct vesc Battery: MEB 12s2p new stealth pack Remote: mad monkey gt2b Misc: Metr.at bluetooth

Will upload pics soon

1 Like