The Show Down - HUMMIE vs JACOB - Electric Skateboard Hub Motor Test

I have a set of hummie hubbies in aluminium and without the blue goo. Love them but the heat problem is most definitely there! Don’t know about the steel version.

See my post:

Were these hummie steel hubs?

Nope, these were the original aluminum ones before hummie’s steels came out.

Thanks for clarifying.

Honestly if you just want people to tell you Hummie’s are faster, we can all do that. This comparison was valuable, but it would be better if we had most recent designs of both motors.

It really bugs me that all this “science and tests” you’re doing are just for your own little ego trip that Hummie’s are better. Honestly Hummie’s should be faster, they have a higher kV! The fact that you seem so bent on having to prove that it’s true just shows how inefficient Hummie’s motors are. If they didn’t waste so much energy in heat, there would be no doubt in anyone’s mind that they are faster.

Please stop cluttering up every single thread you come across with your tests, and stick to the “Top Speed” one you already created.

6 Likes

Haha like a broken record.

We all know hummie is 155lbs

I’ve got a set of Hummie’s motors coming soon. We’ll see how quickly i can trash them on my horrible streets.

So when setting up with VESC is there anything you need to do special with these or is it just the usual motor detection etc?

2 Likes

this whole comparison is sort of flawed to begin with … of course will jacobs motors have more torque cause they are bigger and of course will hummies be faster cause of the KV value. :smile:

the most interesting thing are the side effects that happened:

• insane heat in hubbies
  • slipping wheels on acceleration of jacubs
6 Likes

In the end both tests were kind of pointless given they’re both obsolete models now.

2 Likes

I meant Jason’s tests, lol

Hi. It’s been mislabeled many times these are not 83mm wheels but 80mm made with 4725 stators. Much smaller than Jacobs. More rubber as well. The test is also using the experimental blue goo motors which have shown to be worse at holding heat as the windings are sealed in epoxy.

The steel I’ll be testing the temps of today and they so far have shown much cooler and that could be due to a small airgap or simply the steel not transferring the heat as well as aluminum. We will see on an extended ride, short rides they show way cooler. You’ll see. Ive been slow to test as I had escs break 3 times in two days but fixed now and the test will happen today (always the canbus connection breaks)

These tests were almost all about heat and heat is important. These motors are not magic and smaller motors have more electrical limitations than large. They will get hotter. Next batch it’ll be a 4727 stator and defiantly more copper and that can help but my goal in making these is to make something that won’t break mechanically. That’s another test which I think is more important. ive said it many times…slide fitted aluminum motors is a sure way to have a rattling motor that will rattle its way to the garbage.

1 Like

It’s worth noting that currently STARY BOARD has exactly the same problem with slipping urethane when accelerating. The only one that got the HUB MOTOR urethane right is INBOARD. They have a special TPU CORE inside the urethane. It gives extra grip for the wheel, and urethane doesn’t bend and wobble.

so the truth is that not only motor’s itself are important but urethane as well/.

4 Likes

I’m curious about what hubmotor you’ll sell Jason (enertion). According to maytech it’s “exactly” the same as mine but with a bigger stator.

2 Likes

To be fair, Hummies motors urethane doesn’t wobble or bend also, and i like how easy it is to replace the urethane on them too.

My thane is fine. thanks for asking :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry i got your specs wrong, in my defense it’s very hard to find the true info about your product. the KV is not even listed on your website.

Despite what some folks will try to tell you, Smaller motors will never be as good as bigger ones. They will heat up faster & have less torque.

1 Like