The Sleek Commuter | Globe Big Blazer | MBS 100mm | Chain Drive | 10s2p | Keda 6364 190kv

You do pretty well. I get about 25 km out of two sets of 10s 5000ah packs. Using 3 sets of packs I get 35km with a bit in reserve. I do go through a lot of hills going from one side of the city to the other through. Also @evoheyax is spot on about the vescs. I run focboxes with a home made heatsink and they don’t even get warm. I have had 0 issues with them. You would obviously have to get a unity or 2nd hand focboxes now but I tried my brothers eBay Vesc and it gets super hot on flat and reaches thermal throttling limiting power up hills. Definitely spend the extra. You won’t regret it. Just think of it as an investment that you will make back by not using the car or bus for your commute

2 Likes

Thanks for all the input guys this forum is awesome!

I’m starting to lean towards something like this…

image and trying to gather what other components I need ontop of this and batteries

1 Like

Thanks again for this man I think it’d be really good to see if the single motor does a good enough job at that weight - considering my priority is torque over top speed i was thinking of trying this to cut down on weight - i’m well and truly starting to discover the amount of variations i could go with and it’s great but going to be hard to decide now

collections/electric-skateboard-motors/products/electric-skateboard-motor-6380-170kv

Yes, It is possible, but hard to find complete kits for this? He would have to connect the bms, charge port, voltmeter etc himself.

1 Like

I believe it is the traction of that one wheel that sets the limitation of torque uphill. Especially when cornering while going up hill, where all your weight is going to the side without propulsion. I would take a dual 5065 over single 6380 because of this. But it could cost a lot more. Although I see that you already have a dual kit in your basket? Then you could add a VESC more and buy two cheap small motors instead of that large one?

1 Like

Thanks for that info man i am weighing up options atm.

I looked at their full kit aswell which would be nice but then I’d have to use my other board as the components wont fit the board I want to use only has 420mm of space underneath.

I’m pretty likely to go with that cart but just weighing up battery/power options to fit the board space otherwise if turns out for what I want I need more space I might buy a full kit

One suggestion is get a better wheel, the ones included are not good, and since you will commute daily it’s worth getting a quality wheel

But as others said, do not cheap out, what you can do if your budget is really tight is build a quality single drive already planned to go dual in a few months

It will climb fine as long as the roads are smooth and no tight corners in big hills or you will loose traction depending which way you are turning

1 Like

Thanks for the tip I was also thinking that I might just buy those components seperately minus the wheels

I’m still weighing up multiple wheel options as the roads i’ll be traveling are pretty crap in some spots so i’m considering these beasts

1 Like

What do you base that statement on? I have 3 sets of tb 97’s and they are a great wheel tbh. Better wear rate than my 107’s abecs. The abecs had chunks out of them after 200k’s. For the difference in ride quality its a negligible thing.

1 Like

Based on what I always saw people saying here for a long time, but maybe the are way better now, never tried personally, I have only experience with Moskas (local wheel) and Kegels, when I tried the kegels the first time was like riding on a cloud

Thats what i thought would be the case switching from tb’s to abecs. It just wasn’t enough to compensate for the quick wear though. I have a set of tb’s that are nearly 18 months old and they have little to no wear. We do have good roads though. Gravel in the bike lanes is bad though and I think the abecs struggle with that. They chip and chunk where the tb’s don’t. Oh and don’t always believe what you read here either. Some people comment without any actual experience. Seriously they do you know. :wink:

4 Likes

done so much research now got no idea what to do i want to basically get right back to basics and then if its not enough upgrade later - what might be an option if my range to and from equals less than 5km literally 1.5k each way (10km would be heaps.)

pretty lost on batteries - i want the power but my trip is like 5minutes each way so I’ m happy to sacrifice range even significantly for less cost and weight/space savings

the board i want to use doesn’t have much room underneath (420mm) so i want to try save space with two vescs and batteries i’m struggling to see how this will be possible - I figure less batteries = less range (but that’s fine for now) or does that mean I wont get enough power as well for dual motors. (forgive me if that is a really stupid assumption - I have read a lot about batteries today but no engineer and maths is not my friend)

if i can get away with one battery pack and have to charge it daily that is totally fine with me for now. (open to any type of battery suggestions even if they are expensive) i could literally even ride to work charge it and ride home charge it again (but that’s probably a bit too minimal - not ideal but to give an idea where i’m at with range anxiety…)

At this stage working out as everyone said 700 is no way in the vicinity of getting this done - it’ll be 1200-1500 but its getting hard not to justify just buying a used evolve or something at this point

1 Like

We’ve all been there…lol

This is a good deal :point_down:

IMHO Your thinking is good 700 is going to be tough. I ended up buying second hand GTX’s

The last two were low battery cycle…advertised at 1300…I offered 1000 and got the deals.

I’m in bris if you want to try a GTX no probs PM me for contact. not selling…:sunglasses:

1 Like

haha thanks man, glad I’m not the only one thinking that!

will definitely keep in mind cheers! going to continue research for a bit because i really want to use my deck that i have even if that means sacrificing/power/speed all of the above - i’d make it a project but then if it sucks buy something else or just buy better stuff until its good haha

end of the day ill be one of those people that spent 5k all up but i’d learn a lot :joy:

1 Like

This might be a bit of help with some good budget parts. The board number 1 is what you would be looking at mostly, sorry for the messiness it’s a bit spread out but anyway it might just help a little

1 Like

Hey man appreciate your response but not sure what your referring to was their meant to be an attachment?

Gosh darn, I forgot to add the link. Sorry was super tired last night hahah

1 Like

If I were you and trying to build cheap and for hills I would start on a single motor with a 6374 or a 6380, do the single motor mechanical kit which will save you a bunch, go with the 12s2p instead of going 6S and that single motor will be a beast up hills. If you look up “Lookout Mountain” in Colorado I was riding up that hill the last year on a single motor (6355 and 6374) on a 12s4p, so don’t let any of these guys tell you that you can’t get some decent power on a single motor. The 6380 is almost double the wattage of a single 6355 and it’s lower KV rating will give you some monster power up hills. You’re gonna cut the cost from half a side of mounts, 1 motor and 1 less vesc to buy, that’s about $400-500 off of what you are currently looking at. If you’re really wanting to save a super chunk you could also pick up a cheaper chinese battery or pick up some hobby based cells to save a bit in that department. Unless you go for chinese quality though I reckon you’ll probably be out around 700-900 on a single motor project depending on what you pick for it.

2 Likes

thanks for that response, i’m definitely still considering that - i kinda figured with this i might as well buy it all and whether i use it now or not isn’t a huge deal could eventually make two boards kinda addicted already :stuck_out_tongue:

But at the same time the main thing that led me down this path is the ability to use the 6s prebuilt battery with that enclosure all ready made because it fits under my board nicely, still researching and looking for battery options (i just got a pm from Matt with some other options for smaller batteries) which is my biggest unknown at this stage and was determining the motors in that cart.

honestly i wont be buying anything for at least a month or two but just doing mega research. everyone here is awesome for the input i cant wait to be able to show what i’ve done with the help from people here.

Another reason I gathered dual over single would be worth it for me is i also have to go down these hills and through my reading have seen a lot of people recommending dual for better breaking as well

I think you’ve answered your own question, dual is the right path. I used two Keda motors 190kv 6355 and two vescs from a forum member. That paired with a 12s Lipo battery came to about $330AUD and that’s the main parts you just need a deck, switch, wheels, trucks and mounts which I’m sure you could get for $300 if you search around.

In the thread I linked above you can see the other parts for my build. Total cost was about $650 AUD and that thing rips, does 60km/h and eats all hills I’ve come across. It also sent my mate flying the other day as it was much more powerful than he expected

1 Like