Theft prevention

Very interesting solution! I’ve always wondered, with something like this, do you have to add it to your cell phone plan or does the unit come with some sort of agreement with the cell carrier to send that small packet of GPS data? I couldn’t find much from that link…

1 Like

Me either. I had the same concern. The more expensive options are clear about this, usually referring you to some sort of monthly service. I saw another that you slip a sim card into.

Would it be possible to conenct a Wi-Fi module to the bus, configure it to auto-connect to any open Wi-Fi network? If so, we are pretty close to being able to hard lock the board via cloud console if its stolen. You could edit the VESC config to allow no movement or disable power-up all together. Seems possible anyways.

1 Like

You should get a tile and put it inside of the enclosure.

It only works when you phone is within 30 feet or if some one else has the tile app open and is close. Not realy the best idea

Oh true…

The only true tracking method I think would work for most is to have it connect to cell networks and have it alert you if it moves. Connecting to open wifi may work in big cities like New York or San Francisco, but I’d say for most everywhere else it wouldn’t be enough.

I think something like this and then having some pay for what you use plan is the best solution (like this)

1 Like

What about this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/findster/findster-duo-the-gps-pet-tracker-free-of-monthly-f If you run it off the vesc’s 5v output when the baord is on the built in battery chages when the bards off you still have a couple of hours to track it. The best part is that you dont need to pay monthly.

Looks cool, neat idea. Unfortunately its only good for 2 miles.

so i see a lot of people are looking into tile as a way to track their boards. i have a tile on my keys and its good for them but you have to be close or have someone else with the app close to the tile. If you guys want a tile use this link you should get like 10% off or something. http://ssqt.co/mzbRB1y hope this keeps some ones board safe.

ps if some one thinks this is spammy or anything feel free to take it down or message me.

2 miles is still pretty good compared to tile which is 30 feet

I gave the black box 2.0 by pinpointrc a try and it seems to be working well. My electric skateboard hasn’t been stolen yet but I’m hoping this tracker will help me recover it when it does. Has anyone tried it out? www.pinpointrc .com