Thickness of motor mount

Maybe bolster it with a layer or two of carbon.

Straw man? What does it matter that you sent him a circlip or give advice he maybe does not like? My point was that your statement of sending a bent plate back is pointless because that is nothing special - all it takes is brute force.

Your hanging on each word mate…and you know what he means by it all…from his past experience wit his own 6mm plates…they can be bent if ridden hard or by catching a large rock right at the end of the braket…at 18-20 mph let’s say…hitting a large enough rock or curb…I’m pretty sure we can all Imagin that his braket set up without additional “bracing” will defintiy get “fucked up”…it’s clearly too thin to handle a hard impact…BUT…if you are a parking lot guy…no sidewalk cracks or driveways … That thing is gonna last forever …

Let’s put it this way…

Hope for the best …but prepare for the worst

You can bend nearly anything with the right amount of force. But the grade that im using is a bit harder than the regular stuff.

I cut off a small piece and put it in a vice and bent it with a hammer, took a few hits and once it flexes past about 20% it starts to crack. I was hitting it with a lot of force.

It’s going to take a large and awkward impact to cause it to bend sideways, seeing as though it is parallel to the direction you are traveling.

But over time you can guarantee any mount will end up severely damaged or bent

Absolutely…and and we are not taking abt using a vice…the right amount of force is just riding and hitting or catching something that hits that motor or braket…remember that’s facing down with a persons weight on the board…if it doesn’t clear that mount…

@Trademarc stick a 2x4 piece of wood under the board like it’s getting wedged by the braket and the ground … Now stand on it and wiggle … What happens? (Also Imagin you are going 15-18mph and you hit that wood)

6mm works and may survive forever…but then again we don’t all have the privilege of riding on marble.

Thanks Michael. I’ll definitely do that. I live near a college campus so the sidewalks are well-kept but there’s always that risk, no doubt. Like I mentioned before, I may just try it out and if it bends, well shit, at least I tried it out.

@Maxid mate I bend over backwards for people on this forum. Have some respect.

4 Likes

with certain aluminum’s heat from welding can effect the temper causing it to soften

I dont want to continue with this too much but here is a photo of one of my 6mm brackets that has bent.

3 Likes

I’m using 6061 Ally plate machined down from 18mm for the truck mount to 6mm for the motor mount section and it still bends. I prefer to stick to 8mm and above on my new designs… But give it a go. If it bends whack it with a hammer and chalk it up to experience…

Fail Fast and get back into it.

once you heat that truck will lose strength due to the type of aluminium it is. ( cast aluminium) better hit @torqueboards he has some mounting plate that you can weld on that and save yourself some time, money and a possible injury.

product/welded-motor-mount-63mm-motor/

@Maxid this forum is built on helping the community and helping its member, so restrain yourself from offencive comments or categorizations of others, especially to people that have been helping the community before even this forum was created. this is in reference to this:

1 Like

In what world was that comment offensive? In fact if this forum is about helping others, his comment was not helpful in the first place. I have nothing against anybody and agree that a 6mm plate will probably not hold up (which is why I personally use 1cm) but I should be allowed to state when a comment was pointless no matter who made the comment - no?

1 Like

Bro…you whipped out " StrawMan? "

And you directed it at @lowGuido

He is highly respected by this community … Don’t get us wrong… We go head to head sometimes … And that’s ok and is totally cool to disagree …

Lets just keep it chill… Let’s move on and just help everyone out…

1 Like

Did you guys actually read the wikipedia entry on what a straw man argument is? I did not mean to be rude in any way - it just means that the “excuse” he posted of sending a circlip for free is in no way connected to the initial point and therefor does not matter. It is not an insult but the actual name for this kind of responses. So why are you being so hostile? I did not mean to be offensive, insulting or mean to anyone. It was an observation and I stated a fact - that’s it.

Edit: after reading the conversation again I feel like people really did not check the linked straw man article. It was NOT meant to be an insult. It is the name of a type of argument. I am really sorry if anybody felt insulted by it. It was never intended to hurt @lowGuido

2 Likes

We get it…and the fact that you linked an outside source…that’s taking it to another level bro…

And I get it…we ain’t face to face and written comments may at times sound harsher than if said out loud in the context…but it’s an all around “let keep it chill”

Let’s put this to bed and get back to the FUN mate

I just put that link there so nobody gets insulted (first time someone told me the same thing I did not know what it is so thought he actually called me a straw man) - seems like that kind of backfired :slight_smile:

Again: I am sorry - never wanted to insult.

After my crash I have to wait a couple of days befor getting back to the FUN - although I got on the board to walk the dog today (but super slow speeds with like 3mph tops :smiley:) - the knee is pretty messed up and swollen.

All good man…

And crash ugh… Heal fast my man…

Maybe you should pass the time and share on this thread lol :joy:

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/ouch-my-worse-accident-to-date/3463?u=michaelinvegas

I can vouch for 6mm alu bending too. I used it on my first mounts. Highest tensile strength I could find.

It really depends on how hard you are on your board. If you’re doing it right, the area under your board faces much abuse.

I’m using SS for my motor plates this time. 4mm. My truck brackets will be alu though, and I want some space on the shaft, so I figured it was a good balance. My motor mount plate is small as well so not sacrificing much in the way of weight.

Hi buddy, i had the same issue, i made my own motor mount and it still bend the secret is to create a motor mount with a L shape and that will keeps it from bending. it works for me would be great if you try it and let me know how u did good luck

Could you please post a picture of your L-shaped mount?