Third enertion vesc failure

It depends on the motors and the drive train setup…

My settings are probably in that screen grab…

Good advice… sometimes I forget to spell shit out like that…

I assumed it was obvious… my mistake.

I flagged the post because it’s off topic… create a new post with your thought experiment and if I have time I’ll answer the questions.

@onloop I was just was on your website, why is it cheaper to buy a standard vesc and then the warranty, compared to the vesc with warranty?

Look people, I have had 3 VESC from enertion. When the first two failed i did not blame enertion one bit. I calmly tried to figure out what the problem was and who it came from. But after the third vesc failure, I do not see where i could be at fault especially that i had more than half a year to research the settings and to read as much as i could on this forum. Now the reason i believe enertion does not write in HIGHLIGHTED WORDS that buyer accepts the risk of possible failure is because it is very bad for business… that is common sense.

My set up was as followed: SK3 6374 149 KV, 16/36 gearing ratio with kegel wheels, and 2x5 cells in series for a total of 5000mah 10 cell, and finally a gt2b from hobby king. These are NOT random motors and batteries… these parts are the most used in the esk8 diy community and are mostly always connected to vescs.

Sorry i am not going to spend almost the cost of another vesc just to get mine replaced especially when i am certain it is going to fail me again.

The purpose of this post was not mainly to complain but to warn anyone of possible enertion vesc failure. And as long as this(post) is intended to help (and it really much is) i have the right to post on this forum.[quote=“onloop, post:11, topic:7956”] Just remember enertion vesc are all tested before shipping. Each one is powered up, firmware loaded & motor is spun up. [/quote]

Do you really call that a test? You spin the motor under no load for a couple of seconds but when it comes to the raptors you test them with actual load… okayy…

They are not complaining because, like i thought when my first 2 vesc failed, they think:

1. its their fault but really in most cases its not
  2. they buy your vescs and do not use them immediately
  3. Or they do not even bother to ask or post about their vesc failure

Trust me you do not want HOPE for the best especially when you life is literally at risk. I dont want to scare anyone but that is the truth.

And one last time i am not trying to pick a fight. I am just giving true facts and my honest opinions. This will be my last reply and if you are aware of enertion vesc failure and still want to purchase them PLEASE DO SO. I will post pictures of my set up and all three VESCs for anyone who is still doubting me. And people please do not fight here. This forum’s purpose is to help one another. @onloop do not get me wrong you have immensely contributed to this amazing community and i dont want to take that away from you in any way. But when i see a problem somewhere or something i do not agree with i have to speak up.
Anyway guys keep this community alive and i hope the best for everyone. Cheers

This might have caused the problem. http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/psa-remember-to-reset-your-max-current-ramp-step-when-programming-your-vesc/6262?u=ra.rend

@kingbing

Could you please do a quick test with your blown VESC? Goes like this: Hook the VESC up to your computer. Start BLDCTool, connect. Then go to the advanced tab and multiple times !without changing any value! Read your settings, then write them again. Do it 5 times for good measure. Heres the important part: There is a value called “current ramp per hertz” (not sure on the precise name) watch what happens to this value. Does it magically change? If yes, that is your problem and the only reason you blew up VESC. There was a bug in the firmware that caused this. If you are interested I can explain what that value does and where the bug came from.

1 Like

With this forum there’s so much info available but tragically it’s missing much on the one part most unknow. This last info is a gem which 99% of us don’t know. Wish there was a a decent tutorial on everything. Vedder’s stuff is a start but how bout someone else who knows all that and more can do a guide/tutorial. If I were you Jason I’d even pay someone a couple hundred or a board to do it and then you can at least tell people where to go and people won’t be as able to complain…and surely a lot less will blow

1 Like

@Hummie are you telling me that bug is not known here? If so, can you create a sticky to warn people to not use any firmware before the date me and my buddys pull request with the fix got accepted into master?

1 Like

It was known, There even was a e-mail warning about it.

Seems to be already fixed:

Yep, it is fixed. That is the fix my friend submitted…

@devin No, there was a bug in the firmware. Look at the link above 10^5 instead of 10^6

I’d read something about it in passing but next time I get a vesc I won’t know where to look. A dedicated thread that explained as much as is known. That’s what I’d like at least and think others would too

Just keep up with the source on Git as well as the VESC forum and only compile your firmware from this source. If there is a bug reported change to the latest version. Thats at least how I do it.

On a more involved level one could setup a server that checks for changes and auto compiles the latest firmware and offers it for download?

1 Like

HI Svenska, I tried that and the value of “Max curent ramp step (at 1kHz)” does not change. Dis it six times for good measure but the value stays the same.