Thoughts about TorqueBoards 12S 120Amp ESC

diyelectricscateboard.com has a electrical mono motor kit that comes with a 6355 2650W motor, a 12S 120Amp, a programing card, and a ubec. I want to get this kit because if I also buy their mech kit, ill have everything i need except batteries and a reciever. So what I want to know is if people have had good experiences with the 120A 12S ESC. It seems like a good option because it was designed for esk8 boards and has programmable settings. I know everyone is going to yell at me for not getting a vesc, but this bundle is just so nice. Thoughts appreciated, thanks.

I got one too but haven’t installed it yet

awesome, can you share your experiences when you ride it? I would love to know how well it can accelerate, brake, etc.

@Brando I’ve only heard good things about it. While VESC is awesome, there’s something nice about the simplicity of using a standard esc. Far less to go wrong, and they are readily available.

2 Likes

@Namasaki uses it …we should be good :+1:t2:

1 Like

I use it. Works really well. Their new versions seem to have some issues though. Something to do with the BEC.

I will see… I have the new one

now this is odd… the 120a esc here (diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-12s-120a-car-esc-opto-hv/) looks different than the one in the bundle (diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/single-motor-2200w-electric-skateboard-electrical-kit/) but it implies that they are the same. Is the one with the bundle the old one, and the stand alone one the new one?

@Michaelinvegas did you get the one from the bundle or the one that is sold by itself?

Just the esc and programming card…

You can always contact @torqueboards through his site…he is always more than helpful in figuring things out

I think their support is closed until tomorrow, but ill be sure to ask. btw didnt you have to buy the UBEC too? it said that was required for the esc.

It was included … Yeah Dexter is chill hit him up for sure

Really? It said exactly this on the page, “A UBEC, SBEC is required and not included.” I guess he just forgot to update that text

I’m using the opto version (no bec). They are Robust, Reliable and Simple. Programing with optional program card that TB sells for the lowest price. With this controller, Throttle controls the voltage and current is determined by load. The Vesc can deliver constant voltage and Throttle controls the current so it has the best feature design by far however, it seems to be lacking in durability and dependability. Hopefully ver. 6 will address these areas. This is what I am waiting for.

It is my favorite ESC on the market!

@barajabali do you have the newest revision?

I just talked with Dexter, awesome guy. He said the pictures looked different only because the picture had not been updated yet. The bundle has the latest esc. Also, I think im going to use the winning nano remote with this esc. I’ll share my experience with that remote/esc combination when I get the parts

Yes, I don’t use the ones with the built in sbec though. I hear not so pleasant reviews about those.

Just get the ones that require an external BEC. BULLET PROOF.

how do I buy this esc without the sbec? I think it come preinstalled by default now

Just ask @torqueboards not sure what his supply looks like now.