Too much precision a bad thing?

Yes

Should be. But hard plastics (like surfkeys) and actual bearings perform better. I feel like inserts bind a little bit and deform still allowing slop. Where hard plastics/spherical bearings make a hard pivot point.

In general though you can get all the performance you need out of a proper duro bushing with a good bushing seat…

I think bushing spec/design and how they fit the kingpin comes in to it as well.

1 Like

Yeah that’s right. I am getting Riptide bushings and machine the bushing seats to their specs / recommendations.

In which trucks have you used a spherical bearing? Do you have an opinion on what benefit does it have over a urethane insert? I was thinking about it, but decided against it.

EDIT: never mind, just saw you answered the question above, with which trucks have you used them though?

Don’t trips, you can use a spherical or a insert. They feel very different.

And surfrodz I’ve run surfkey and no surfkey.

Calibers, Paris and bears I’ve run no insert, or riot plugs.

Caliber II I’ve run no insert, bushings with insert, and bushings no insert with riot plugs.

I like inserts… but I like proper bushing seats better

Rogue trucks have good luck with a large insert bushing and no bushing seat. Thoughts?

I think it starts to get complicated as it really depends on use. DH, rough road, you don’t want spherical. The vibration is transferred, transition in and out of slides is a bit more brutal… But if you a ripping a parking lot with smooth concrete and all you are interested in is grip and turn I think the table turns, same for slalom… I’ve only got one set of trucks with a spherical, so my experience is limited. I have some Aera (cnc/bushing seat) I couldn’t get dialed in so I upgraded. I thought about going Don’t Trip (spherical) but ended up going a second set on Ronins because I can’t fault the other set I have bar trying to get the bushings dialed in.

The Ronins really seem to have it all, stable locked in hanger, but also the most open bushing on the market :checkered_flag: :trophy: