TORQUEBOARDS VESC ALPHA - Official Thread (Improved VESC)

Yeah higher voltage will lead to all those benefits at the cost of price. Mostly all the components on the VESC right now will have to be upgraded to handle higher voltages.

most motors are 10s/12s max anyways so I donā€™t think higher voltage is really needed.

higher continuous current and a finished cased vesc are a good place to start. any specific changes compared to vescx?

@akira - Havenā€™t looked into it yet but weā€™ll release some specs/data once we have tested things out.

@treenutter - Will definitely let you know :slight_smile:

@riva_00 - Typically, 63mm motors are only capable of 12S but you could run them slightly higher. Weā€™ll have to test.

@saul - Our design and placement is completely different from VESC-X. About the same form factor but everything else is different. Weā€™re not looking to copy the VESC-X but create and test our own. Thereā€™s no community benefit into simply copying the VESC-X. The goal is to improve the quality and reliability for the VESC. We want to be more pro-active in our testing to create a more bulletproof VESC. Weā€™ll see once we get closer to it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m definitely interested in beta testing!

I would love to be a Beta tester! :slight_smile:

ah thats great! it looked similar but iā€™m happy to see more options in the works!

Iā€™m in to test this beautyā€¦ really nice work :wink:

Oh my. I have a feeling we all do not know the full story. But I will try to guess:

For VESC 6, Vedder goes with DUAL license:

1. GPL for personal use - everyone can solder vesc for personal use for free
  2. Royalty based for commercial use - if you want to sell VESC, you need to pay the fee.

Thatā€™s why we suddenly have VESC-X and VESC ALPHA. This is just a wild guess though :wink:

4 Likes

@rmrf - I think more so itā€™s we shouldnā€™t rely on Ben to make all future changes otherwise ā€œimprovementsā€ may be haulted, slowed down, etc. Better if we are pro-active and work on making changes on our own.

1 Like

Count me in for testing!

Let me test one or let me order an old vesc :smiley:

Sounds good!

I think testing should be interesting if you send this new version to people who already had some DRV broken, if you want to stress test it :wink:

com-gif-maker%20(2) any updates? :thinking:

3 Likes

Still working on it. Have a few more iterations in production but we should be good afterwards unfortunately things take a while lol.

2 Likes

of course :slight_smile:

I was basically just looking for confirmation its still being RnDā€™d (if thats the right term)

1 Like

Yup, it is as soon as we can release it we will. :smile:

3 Likes

Please, something with a small kick tail.

1 Like

@DAddYE we moved away from that lol. :smile:

1 Like

Lol just noticed thi 3d is 2 years old

3 Likes