Trampa board choices

Hey all i am about to start my emtb build. I’m planning on this to be an all purpose build. I’m after any insights on Trampa board types and flexibility. I weigh about 90kg I think. I want this board to over long distances and be able to turn on a dime.
I plan on using for commute to work and to use in the bush/hills where I live. I’d love for it to be able to be jumped from footpath to road and vice versa. Hopefully this is clear and someone can give insight. How does your build feel @barajabali?

Ask @trampa

I would if they had first hand experience of what I’m wanting to do

1 Like

Man this is such a hard question.

I need some time to respond to this lol

I have the holypro 16-ply(stiff), it feels very nice at 87kg. Jumps are easy. i would not go any softer, because it would hit the ground when you jump hard. it absorbs any kind of bumps very well, i have done 20km rides over gravel without hurting feet. The turning circle of these things is not small, but no problem to turn by jumping around.

Why don’t you look at the urban carver, using 7" wheels?. http://www.trampaboards.com/electric-urban-carver-c-773.html This board is nice on gravel and it turns on a dime. You can also mount the 83 and 90mm Street wheels if you like to experiment. The Carveboard is really nice to ride. Turns like hell but is stable at speed. I ride both, the Carveboard and the new Trampa Longboard. Truth is: Our Longboard is a Longboard, having typical longboard characteristics. Nothing wrong about that… The Carveboard is 100% more fun, since it really carves and the steering is super pricise at all speeds.

Frank

Ps.: You can discard the dampas on our MTBs, which ads a lot of turn. You can also use dampas only on the front suspension, or rear suspension. I would go for the Holy Pro setup or the HS 11 setup. These decks are slightly shorter than the “35° long” and have a slim nose which does not collide with the drive train when taking steeper turns.

Thanks for the replies guys :slight_smile: @barajabali thanks bud I’ll wait for that, since you seem to use it for mostly what I want to use mine for

@flatsp0t thanks for the info mate :slight_smile: I may have to try to make some variable motor control to help with turning xD

@trampa thanks for the reply, but it seems to miss the key feature of using it off road in a bush, that doesn’t have even surfaces, I’m sure this board choice would belly out on regular occasions

Well, if you want to ride on uneven surfaces, have an MTB setup. This will never turn on a dime though. You can’t have the best of both worlds. Bindings will help you to lean into your turns though. Soft Dampas will also contribute. Just try out different setups by placing different Dampas into the spring system. You can also try to ride with different Dampas in the front and rear suspension. E-MTBs are lots of fun.

Frank

either way it’s appreciated :slight_smile: I think I might just program a way to use “power assisted stearing” :slight_smile: that won’t be for some time after making the build though

@trampa Could you describe the difference in ride between your Street Carver and a stiff deck like a Hi5ber Zenith? I’m currently riding the Zenith and find the ride to be unpleasantly rough on rough asphalt and cracks. I’m hoping flexibility of your 14-ply deck might make a difference.

While I’m tempted by the Urban Carver, I’m loathe to carry the extra weight and suffer the decreased efficiency of pneumatic tires.

@SteveS I will try my best… In comparasin to a Longboard the Trampa Street Carver feels completely different, more natural if you ask me. You step on it and feel at home. Most E-Longboards feel like a plank with trucks and wheels on. The reason why is manly the lack of flex and the pivot point of the trucks far below the sole of your foot. The Street Carver has an angled nose, which sets the pivot point of the truck alot further up, nearly on the same level as the sole of your foot. You are standing in line with the pivot point of the trucks. The trucks itself would give zero steering, if they were not mounted at an angle of roughly 35°. The difference to a regulat longboard truck is the spring system, which reacts very precise, due to pre-tensioning of the springs itself. A urethnae bushing can’t provide that kind of precission at all. Spring trucks behave very linear, throughout the entire tilt angle and always find back to a perfect neutral position. The Trucks are wider than regular Longboard trucks, are super solid, have a well defined pivot axis and have zero play. This makes the board very accurate to steering inputs and also very direct. Flex: Trampaboards have a super nice flex, due to the behavior of the materal they are made from. Our material has a unique ability to swallow impact loads. The roughness of the road gets caught within the deck. You still feel vibrations, but you would never feel this tickling, making the soles of your foot feel numb. Standing on the board, you can bounce up and down, just like standing on a trampolin. The Street Carver deck has no flat center, its slightly curved upwards.

Hope that this helps you. You really need to ride it and feel it. So far everyone who rode it loves it. This video from Jenso gives you an idea. Its a very early prototype. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEOlJsEHms

Frank

Ps.: you can buy 7" wheels later and convert the street to the urban carver.

1 Like

Thanks for your detailed, thorough comments! Any other feedback from those with experience with Trampa Street Carvers?