Trampa build need help

Hey Oozytoast, did the software solve your problems? The last days i saw this thread and felt bad for you. Yesterday i had my first ride with my 136kv motors and i can’t believe i’m having exactly the same problems! The knocking (with loose belt) i’ll try to fix like frank told you. The cogging is a desaster, it’s not possible to start from a dead stop, only with no load or sometimes on flat concrete, on any other terrain there is no power and i feel helpless :sob:

Well… that’s what i want. I’ll try it with other vescs to know if the vescs or the motors are the problem, also i’ll try unsensored mode to see if there’s a difference in performance (right now it feels unsensored in hybrid mode)

To did down to the problem, i need to know your ESC manufacturer and the FW you use.

Frank

My vescs 4.12 are from scramboards, i think the manufacturer is flier (with heatsinks). I use FW 2.54 by Ackmaniac with motor max 40A each. But also both vesc’s temp sensors are faulty, maybe they have problems with hall sensors, too. I’ll test it with maytech vescs (shame on me) the next days, too and let you know. Thanks @trampa!

I will have an answer tonight work has gotten in the way again. But with all that work I ordered these

I think i know what’s the problem! Yesterday i tested different vescs and motors and realized that 3 of my 4 vescs have broken hall sensor ports, i’m so upset! Since there is no warranty i could have bought 2 VESC SIX for this money!!! I have 1 working vesc for 4 sensored motors on 2 builds now :rage:

To check that do motor detection again (i also thought the sensors are working first). When your sensor port is good it looks like this:

If the sensor ports are bad you get this:

So @trampa if people (like me) claim the motor sensors it’s 100% the motor contoller or bad extension cables. Unfortunately i have no idea how i could afford 4 VESC SIX :disappointed_relieved:

The trampa motors a really great and strong. i was riding a steep path uphill (which i can’t ride with my mountainbike, too steep) with no problems (of course with catching some speed before climbing). Also the brake force is very powerful! I love this motors but there’s one thing i don’t like: The keyway, the key and the pulley are not one unity, the pulley has play in both directions and the grub screw is on the rounded side of the shaft. I put a lot of thread locker on the grub screw but after 20km one pulley is loose now.

I have different motors where keyway, key and pulley fit 100% with no play, also the grubscrew is on top of the key (so it’s like a flatspot). These pulleys came loose after 6 weeks daily riding WITHOUT thread locker. After putting thread locker it never ever came loose again.

The only solution for trampa motors i think is to dremel a flatspot like people do on SK3’s motors, but i don’t like to do that, i have to check if my other pulleys fit better.

1 Like

Could you post a picture of your connection on the vesc and of the vesc…

Sorry to hear your Maytech ones are broken. One hall sensor per board usually does the trick. I do lock down my pulleys with blue lock anyway. So I don’t face the same issues. Some heat will let you disassemble the pulley again.

Frank

When testing your vescs, flip the phases to make the motor go in the other direction.

I highly dought it’s the vesc sensor port is the source of your problem. Check those adapters carefully

1 Like

I’m not sure if someone mention this all ready but expanding on what @Blasto said…

Some motor’s sensors only work with one combination of phase wires, so if the phase wires are not plugged in the correct order sensor detection will fail. I had this happen with my motors in the past but have sense corrected the issue.

Have to work the next 8 hours… i’ll post pictures tomorrow. There you’ll also see details why Maytech vescs are dangerous.

But i’ve tried different connections. With short phase wires (10 cm), with long (80 cm which i use on mtb). Also sensor cable was directly plugged to vesc, once with 30cm extension and once with 80 cm 22AWG (which i use). One vesc is detecting the hall sensors no matter which sensor cable or phase wire, i tested them all. The other 3 vescs fail…

Really? I have to test it. So the hall sensor on master controller and disabled traction control? The slave in hybrid mode like the master? That would be awesome…

I have tried all possible variations of phase wire combinations but always the detection fails on 3 of 4 vescs 4.12…

I think that’s not my case but it would be interesting how you handle it when the motor goes the wrong direction if the hall sensors are only working this way? Riding reverse? :joy:

Thanks to all of you for your feedback!

Here some pics of one maytech 4.12 with broken sensor port. Maybe you can see what’s wrong with it.

Here you see the JST legs are not cut. @Martinsp mentioned that he short his vesc because the legs pierced through the plus lead.

1 Like

The damage cause by percing the power will be much more destructive than just affecting the sensor, it would kill the vesc instantly.

Also it look like from the picture that you might have a cold solder joint over the ground pin

1 Like

Wow, thanks to your eagle eyes!!! :eyeglasses: That could be the reason, i’ll resolder the GND and test it again.

1 Like

Yup I killed my Maytech VESC that way :smiley: not fun :smiley: Also be sure to update your firmware to the newest one and BLDC-tool because i would not be surpirised if maytech did not use the latest firmware… there is a bug that multiplies the max current ramp step by 10 every time you write and read config… the correct value should be 0.04 Maybe they use the nevest firmware, maybe not… worth checking, there have been some folks with this bug recently. :slight_smile: I might have blown my second VESC that way :smiley: I think so because I took care of the hardware faults or whatever prior to turning it on…

I dropped @rich on Beta. So he can use FW 3.26. The missing Bootloader can be updated via VESC-Tool. I hope you will get the sensors working.

Frank

1 Like

So you are saying that people with maytech vesc without bootloader , can flash bootloader and all the other stuff with the new upcomming vesc GUI ?

Btw. How Long does it take before you guys ships a urban carver board :innocent: looking forward to receive mine.

Yes, Vesc-Tool can ad the missing boot loader via usb. Easy…

I’ll check for the delivery of the missing parts for the Urban carver.

Frank

Cool, so no need for ftdi adapter any more.

Regarding the board, cool thanks :sunglasses: No Rush, just asking.

No need anymore. This tweak only works if no bootloader is installed.

1 Like

@JohnnyMeduse you are my hero!!! After resoldering the sensor port is working now :grin:

My other two 4.12 controller with broken temp sensors and sensor ports i gonna replace with 2 PCB’s from @esk8 i ordered last night, i trust them.

@Martinsp well it’s FW 2.18 (the latest). I clicked read configuration, my max current ramp was 4.00 instead of 0.04 :astonished:

@trampa can’t wait to go sensored this weekend! Also you probably saved my vescs with the use of FW 3.26, downloaded VESC-TOOL GOLD last night… Thanks!

1 Like