Trampa mountain board. Buy or build?

So I have been eyeing the 2019 Trampa mountain boards.

They seem to have an improved enclosed belt drive and with dual VESC 6 the price does not seem too bad. I don’t really like the open 6364 motors, but otherwise they look like a solid build. Another option would be to get the deck, trucks, wheels etc from trampa and build a board with dual focboxes and 6374 motors and e-toxx gear drive. From a draft spreadsheet I made, it seems the final cost will be more or less the same in both cases. Also I weigh 78kg without gear (so 85-90kg with everything on including a backpack). I am torn between the 16 vs the 17 ply. I have no mountain boarding experience so have no idea what I would prefer as far as stiffness goes. So far I am leaning towards the 16ply as I am afraid that if the board is too stiff it will become very tiring in the rocky terrain we have here. I am open to any ideas and suggestions.

4 Likes

e-toxx gear drive all the way :wink: i´m 85kg and very happy with 16ply. not too stiff not too flexy as for my taste.

5 Likes

You have to weigh in the hours here, theres considerably more tinkering with one of the options. Also getting everything in the same parcel and time is always a nice plus.

Personally havn’t tried trampas own closed drive, bet its awesome. I own an etoxx spurr drive tho and have nothing bad to say there either.

1 Like

Getting a prebuilt board is definitely easier for me. I have no problem building it myself but honestly I would rather spend my limited free time riding it. Plus I would not have to ship a hanger to Germany and order all the other stuff from various vendors. This way I only have to build the battery (probably 12S7P 30Q ) and until then I could ride the board with the lipos I have for my RC helis (2x 5000mAh Thunderpower packs and 2 x5000 Turnigy packs) as long as they fit in the battery box.

1 Like

I bought a complete deck from them, a couple months ago… Just missed the new belt drive system… My weight 75 kilos, 16 ply, 154kv motors, 2 Vesc 6, 4 6000mAh HRB Lipos, 14 teeth motor pulley (I have bought 15 teeth to commute within my city). Very fast shipping, great price, high end quality…My only concern are the motor mounts, they are big and bulky, and I was pissed of that I missed for little the new mounts (much better of course). So, yes I will probably buy the new Emtb from Trampa again and again, but if I have to replace the 2017 Pro motor mount of my almost new board, I will buy the E Toxx. Also you should look at the new Trampa barrels, instead of the spring set up for your trucks. Hope this help you with your decision… Over all … I am extremely happy!

1 Like

I’ve been there some weeks ago!! But I decided to do it myself… surely it takes more time and lots of hours, but I reckon I’ll end up with a better product, my trampa is on its way and I’m using 2 focboxes in an aluminium case from Servisas and chains, sprockets and the rest of the stuff needed it’ll be ordered soon… sometimes I forget if my hobby is riding or building my ride​:joy::joy::joy: that’s just my opinion as noob here!

2 Likes

And you’ll have more pride as you ride. Half of my joy while riding is the pride and hard work and mess ups that we’re along the way. I don’t have the same connection with the boards I bought ready to ride

2 Likes

Looks good. But don’t you just love Trampas write ups?

we have calculated a potential rage of well over 50 miles (calculated in my head & needs to be testing before 100% claiming - need a Crash test Dummy to try the range out if anyone has the tome to give it a go!!) but of course this option will not be cheap & there are plenty of alternatives of batteries if your beginning to run on a budget…

This is an English company btw

1 Like

why he should write UPS when he love Trampas? :thinking:

needs a decent editor.

2 Likes

I have made it this far in life by not believing everything I hear or read. :wink: If I go for a 12S7P my guess is the range will not exceed 40km. I mean I barely get 30-35km with my 12S5P with psychotiller sixshooters and smaller motor the way I am riding my current board around where I live. Imagine a board with bigger off road wheels, heavier, slightly bigger motors and 40% more capacity but used off road.

1 Like

What do you mean?

1 Like

Totally missed the point so sorry man. Was just poking fun at the wording. 50km of rage. etc etc.

2 Likes

that´s what @dareno wrote… i also didn´t understood

1 Like

His text. write up.

1 Like

I understood your post and agree with it. It seems like a draft that needs editing before making it to press. I just had to answer about the claimed range since, well I just had to :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I understood it in your post. I was confused with the use of caps in @Andy87 's post and thought he was referring to the shipping company :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Before I say this believe me it is with the utmost respect. I now understand that frank uses european not english when checking these pages.

side note; you lot speak and write english better than me most of the time so apologies. :rofl:

1 Like

Hey Schulerbible. Any idea what this guys parts list is on his MTB or were you just sharing the e-toxx drive?

P.S. I’m a NEWB and want to build something like the video you shared. How do I figure out what he’s running?