Trampa new barrel

We should ride together to compare them :sweat_smile: you trampa barrels, I etoxx elastomers :relieved:

3 Likes

Yes, we definitely should. I said it before and I will say it again.

If you come to Greece for holidays, hit me up. I got enough boards to arrange for a ride.

6 Likes

It’s just a matter of vacation days…if I would have more left I would be already on the way :smile:

3 Likes

The elastomer spring is identical. It is made by a German company.

1 Like

Identical to the last little decimal? :thinking:

Surely there is variance @Nowind would you chime in? Im caught between the trampa nowind boulder :rofl:

1 Like

That’s not fully correct… the anodized blue version from etoxx gives you that extra plus 10% extra speed and extra stability… like red heat sinks… a factor nobody should under estimate :tipping_hand_man:

6 Likes

The elastomere is the same (also same shore) I guess from the same german company because @Duffman posted the link 1-2 years ago.

But the retainers are different. Trampa uses M5 on bottom and top retainers. E-Toxx retainers have 2 threads and the top ones are mounted with M8 like springs into the thread of the baseplate not with M5 through the M8 hole. Furthermore they are adjustable like springs.

3 Likes

For someone who is getting into the EMTB scene, and wouldnt know better, the Trampa seem to be the more alluring option due to price, and lack of having to adjust(?). (also for my build, I will have a little plate covering the top of the board where my hardware will be, the thinner the holes the better, imo )

True, but we figured out that you can use the regular adjuster from the coil spring system. If you want to use M8 grub screws in the top retainer, mounting the barrels gets more painful. You can’t slide them in from the side… BTW: It is quite easy to modify the top retainer if needed. Just drill out the M5 thread and cut a M8. A simple M8 thread cutter will do the job.

We use the barrels without pre-tension. Winding in the adjuster, putting permanent pressure on the barrels, will damage them. Thy typical use case for these springs is riding trails and urban environments. In that case you want the board to turn with more ease, while being relative stable at speed. Non of our riders really use them with pre-tension. If they want a stiffer setup, they all go for coil springs with Dampas.

3 Likes

Would you mind giving us some tips on setup?

I would love to know more about how to setup a mountainboard.

@trampa if you don’t slide in the barrels sideways how do you mount them?

We slide them in sideways, since we don’t use M8 grub screws.

4 Likes

I released all information regarding these elastomers in this forum in 2017 and in the german forum in 2016, so there are no secrets about this product:

https://www.elektro-skateboard.de/forums/topic/4089-mbs-pro-90-4x-vescntm5060-12s/?do=findComment&comment=36589

We were riding a few prototypes of these since then and @Nowind and I decided at some point that we should make a product out of it. As you can see on the images, we also started with round retainers but they are hard to remove if you apply loctite to the screws. Therefore we went with hexagon shaped retainers to give you the possibility to use a wrench to unscrew these.

Unfortunately this is an extra production step and makes the product more expensive. As we order only small quantities, produced in Germany everything sums up to a higher product price than Trampa.

You have to decide for yourself if the R&D, the added features and the extra color options is worth the money.

8 Likes

And I believed trampa’s Elastomer is little bit longer than Etoxx’s as I’ve owned etoxx’s and currently on trampa’s. I love trampa’s on normal road condition but on the other hand etoxx’s was better off-road. Maybe due to the diff in length (i could be wrong tho)

@Trampa How is it you think adding preload damages the elastomer? I’m actually running a split set up with springs up front, drilled yellow dampas, elastomers on the rear, all on the inside position with a small amount of preload. The handling is sublime with this set up, and it took me a good while to get to this configuration. I’m finding the small amount of rear preload, only about 2mm, gives a nice positive centering force.

1 Like

2mm is probably not a big deal. Andy Brind put 7-8mm on them and they took some damage. Being the World Champion in Mountain boarding, he is probably not the scale… 2mm should be fine. That is like a thick washer in between the retainer and the Baseplate.

1 Like

Ah, I can see how that type of abuse could do it. I was a bit worried you were seeing some other type of damage caused by using the preload adjusters, as it says on the product page you loose the adjustment when fitting these. Good to know it’s ok once you don’t over do it.

There is no difference in length. Maybe your first set of barrels settled due to use.

1 Like

Shameless up.

Setup is a matter of personal preference and terrain. Hard to give general advice. I ride with springs and green Dampas in the back and without Dampas in front. Springs in outside position. Front without pre-tension, back with some pre-tension. I do not go very fast and in consequence I get away with a loose front. I aslo ride with barrels, front and back, no pre-tension.

On the carvers I drop the springs in inner position, but with dampas in back and no dampas in front. I ad like 4-5mm pre-tension on the springs ( which is needed on the carvers). For city usage I ride without Dampas and springs in inner position, 5mm pre-tension.

4 Likes