Trampa new MegaStar hub - more info?

The spokes fit. Center spacer will also fit.

3 Likes

So it’s going to be possible only to buy the megastar rims ?

3 Likes

From the website: The Anodised Spokes used in the MEGASTAR rims are the same as the spokes that are needed in the SUPERSTAR hubs, so if you already have SUPERSTAR hubs & wish to upgrade your rims to MEGASTAR then this works fine!

Looks like it’s an option to upgrade and (will eventually be available for )purchase separately

2 Likes

I just now realised that it is only outer plastic part was replaced with aluminium. The inner X star and spacer is all the same as superstar… So same issues with bearings and other things like plastic spacer which superstar had… :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

I would say that if your current third-party drives are precision manufactured, you’re doing it wrong. It should be adaptable enough to fit any Trampa truck with slight deviations in paint thickness and what not. The gears will be misaligned a bit due to axles/bearings and hubs, but they will still easily do 3000 km or more. If you machine a truck and clamp down on a flat spot, it will always freaking fit.

Precision hubs in combination with unbalanced tires also make me giggle.

Automotive grade sounds good. A few will get there and I welcome it, but what is coming up is already fantastic.

2 Likes

By this I mean, trying to use an adapter for securing the drive.

Well it is loose a bit but not 1.5mm deviations on axles positions :smiley:

Talking automative grade @trampa haven’t described anywhere which class of aluminium is used in their parts only that it is T6

“T6” indicates that it was solution heat-treated and artificially aged. But doesn’t describe which class aluminium is used as it tricks into thinking its something really good.

Looking into braking hangers and other things I wouldn’t be surprised that its low class 6 or even lower 5 or etc stuff just another marketing trick by trampa.

1 Like

Don’t think Trampa ever mentioned their parts are supposed to be automotive grade. We should not forget that you/we are abusing a platform originally meant for a different purpose with different quality standards.

It would appear Trampa is slowly moving towards higher precision parts, specifically to target other market segments.

5 Likes

This platform is made for downhill mounting boarding jumping and etc… We merely propulse it to a bit faster speeds than you can achieve going downhill :smiley:

yup, but they typically do not have gear alignments to worry about…for one. I doubt these guys care about a bit of a rattle or bearings causing clicking sounds either.

People have always used our gear to push the limits further. And therefore the design considers extreme abuse and usage in harsh environments. Salt, dirt, mud, dust, water, impacts, abrasion etc. E-MTBs benefits from that, since the abuse you put onto an E-MTB is not less. If anything it is more. This is why people started to strap motors to E-MTBs. They are heavy duty off-road equipment, designed to deal with the abuse. Some parts want more precision, sure. We are now offering that kind of precision. You can buy what you need and combine things to match your quality demand. Not every part needs to be Formula 1 grade. Not everyone rides at life threading speeds of 70+Km/h and not everyone wants to pay 800 pound for a naked board consisting only of CNCed parts, milled from a solid billet. Personally I would be happy with a board having Hypa hubs in the front and Megastars in the back, Infinity truck in the front and precision truck in the back. I could buy a cheaper deck and hand cut it to shape etc. We have all the parts and you can build whatever you can imagine and suits your wallet. No one has as many different parts on the shelf as we do. There are endless combinations possible.

BTW we only use 6061, 7075, CrMo4 and other suitable high grade materials. We never saved on production cost by using subpar or non genuine materials. Not our style! Sometimes stuff brakes, which is due to the fact that people do super crazy stuff with it. Even Formula 1 cars brake down when you race them to the extreme. That is the nature of extreme sports. If you push the limits you will ultimately bring the equipment to it’s limits. Kiteboarders have done 80+Km/h on our boards, going into a massive jump at that speed.

5 Likes

What’s the code number for these bearings thx Garry

It is NSK 6001DU :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you are using the gummy tires, should you split the tire valve hole to either side of the rim for balance?

You can Bill. I don’t think you will notice the difference though. Additionally you can wind in different size screws in different positions to really balance the thing out. Are you chasing a new world land E-Board speed record?

Nope just wondering about best practices :slight_smile: but these new hubs look great!

THX! In real world they look even better.

It’s also a nice feature that they fit to standard 8mm skate axles, using a special adaptor. You can also offset the hub with another special 608 bearing adaptor. Sometimes you need these extra mm to fit a bigger motor or wider belt. The photos show the adaptor in place and Si3N4 ceramic bearings installed.

The Rockstar follows a different design concept. It is made from a ring and two side walls.

The Superstar is a very nice hub and very very sturdy. They last for ages and can swallow very big impacts. Plastic has some advantages as well… Horses for courses. We offer things, you decide what you need and is best f or your application.

2 Likes

I personally like the superstar hub. Tolerances are bit off at times but its nothing some bearing retaining fluid can’t fix. I do like the balancing with bolts option on these guys though!

4 Likes

Wil you or could you make dual vesc6 finned cases like your focbox?

2 Likes