Traqpod - Street carver inspired design

Will it be a fad?

https://instagram.com/p/Bki8MzTliT5/

Traqpod is a compact and lightweight foldable electric skateboard. It weighs 8 kg and it’s powered by an in-wheel direct drive brushless hub motor, a custom designed Lithium battery pack and a Bluetooth-based remote control system. It is made from high-performance composite and polymer materials and features an exclusive, patented truck system that provides for an enhanced riding experience, with a tighter turning radius and improved motion control for a more enjoyable and fun riding experience. Dimensions (unfolded): 920 x 280 x 140 mm (36.2 x 11.0 x 5.5 in) Dimensions (folded): 700 x 280 x 140 mm (27.6 x 11.0 x 5.5 in) Weight: 3.7 to 8.2 kg (8.2 to 18.2 lb)* Deck material options: Maple and polypropylene (3 colors) Truck material options: Glass-reinforced polyamide and Aluminium Range: 8 to 14 km (5.0 to 8.7 mi)** Battery pack Lithium Ion, 36 V, 6,6 Ah* Battery pack charging time 3 hours for full charge, 45 minuts for half charge* Motory type in-wheel, direct-drive BLDC Remote control: 2,4 GHz

1 Like

Interesting. Curious to see the details of the folding mechanism.

Out of Spain, so thats interesting.

1 Like

Where are the bushings enabling turning? Intriguing

Designed by non-skaters I can only guess… I like especially my front foot to be closer to the front axle for leverage & control

1 Like

Hi Everyone. My name is Xavi and I am the guy behind this project, and also new to this forum. I will now reply to the comments made so far, and try to keep up with newer ones. Please also feel free to write me directly if you want at xavi.garcia [at] larevolta.com (La Revolta is the name of the company, Traqpod is the name of the product).

Regards from sunny Barcelona.

Xavi

3 Likes

Hi Danile.

The patented Traqpod truck has several functions. It allows for the trucks to fold back underneath the deck (bringing the total length of the product down to 70 cm from around 92 cm unfolded. I has safe locking mechanisms for both end positions, folded and unfolded. So no “wiggling” in either position (just developing this feature was a total pain in the a$$). The connection point of the two articulated parts features a rubber shock absorber. Very neat, really. As for the rest, it’s really like it’s shown in the GIFs above or on our website. We are kickstarting sometime this summer.

Can the trucks be locked in different angles?

2 Likes

Hi all.

On second thougth, I’m thinking my replying to everyone may be considered spam by the moderators, or just not good etiquette. While someone confirms this is or isn’t the case, I’ll keep quiet :slight_smile:

Xavi

Replying to someone is not spam. Only if you post the same thing over and over

3 Likes

Thank you. Let’s then hope people don’t ask the same thing over and over :))

Xavi

2 Likes

Yes and no. The trucks have two stable positions: folded and unfolded. But the rubber shock absorber can (and will) potentially be made in different thicknesses (and hardness levels). This will impact on several features of the whole skateboard: deck hight and turning radius. But I think the standard shock absorber we use will be OK for most everyone. Its a rather low riding skateboard.

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m at my reply limit so let me use this to answer everyone. But remember I can’t reply anymore on this same topic, so feel free to start a new one or just write me.

• It will not be a fad. I can’t guarantee it will not be a total craze like the so-called hoverboards, the iphone or sliced bread.

• Out of Spain: you may be surprised to learn that there are, to my knowledge, THREE electric skateboard companies in Barcelona alone.

• Bushings: that’s sooo 20th century… The Trapqod is a completely new truck system. Every single part (but basic screws and washers) has been custom designed.

• Designed by non-skaters: that hurt, man :slight_smile: But you may be right. Although my father got me my first Sanchesky skateboard when I was 12, I can’t really identify as a typical skater. This means I’m a non-typical skater. Let’s leave it at that.

Cheers

Xav

2 Likes

Welcome @xavigarcia

2 Likes

It’s not spam! Welcome

I signed up for future updates.

Assume the remote control is regular 2.4Ghz radio control and Bluetooth is an app for telemetry? There is concerns for using Bluetooth to directly control the Esc

Speaking of ESCs, what are you using there & what cells, how many?

edit: Lithium Ion, 36 V, 6,6 Ah 8 to 14 km (5.0 to 8.7 mi)**

2 Likes

The remote is 2.4 GHz indeed, which is the EM spectrum frequency range called Bluetooth. We don’t have and will not have an app. The remote is fine and our lives are complicated enough without yet another app. Seriously, for control purposes it wouldn’t work. For other functions it may be OK.

We have tested several ESCs, motors and battery configurations, and keep in touch with manufacturers on their developments. Final components and specs will released a bit further down the line.

X

Man I always had a soft spot for the oiginal BMW carver. This looks to be inspired by that.

Good luck

1 Like

@mutantbass, thank you!

The Traqpod ABSOLUTELY was inspired by the Streetcarver (of which I own half a dozen). Back in 2002 the Streetcarver changed my life and directly inspired the Traqpod project. But if you look at it closely, the resemblance is only superficial (general shape and carving concept). Everything else are specific functional improvements, dare I say, on the BMW product. I’m realy proud of how the Traqpod came out, but I stood on the shoulders of a giant, so to speak.

Other inspirations: Carveboard, T-board, Slidecarver, K2 kickboards, Flexboardz…

X

2 Likes

is it possible to ride the board folded and unfolded?

1 Like

Not really (but I get asked that a lot). That’s just not how it’s designed. The folding thing is just to shrink the packing and carrying size.

1 Like