TRAVEL BUILD with 10s4p modular Battery Pack

From what i ve noticed every airline has different requirements when it comes to number of batteries. I am mostly flying with British Airways and they clearly specify that when it comes to batteries under 100wh you can take four spare batteries and you can have one battery in the device. But I also have seen that other airlines let you take unlimited number of batteries under 100wh unless they are not for sale :slight_smile: which means resonable number for personal use.

Also lots of airlines allow taking 1-2 batteries from 100wh to 160wh but airlines approval is required which can be real pain in the butt.

1 Like

Awesome job!.. very clean and well thought outā€¦

1 Like

I am making a change ā€¦instead of JET POTATO 34.5 " Iā€™ve ordered 36" inch version. There is a difference in the concaveā€¦a Iā€™ve noticed that 34.5" concave might be a little bit weird and uncomfortable for e-skate rides.

1 Like

Great idea. Are these packs UN38.3 certified? If not, I thought they werenā€™t allowed on passenger flights regarding of WH.

1 Like

This pack has electric-skateboard.builders forum certificate thatā€™s the highest you can go.

5 Likes

Be careful, my friend. I want to take my board on flights as much as you do, but if you get caught, youā€™ll be charged with intentionally deceiving the airline and FAA as well as endangering the lives of passengers. Youā€™ll likely go to jail. If not, then serious fines and bans. Printing your own labels and laminating them onto homemade Li Ion batteries and attempting to board can be looked at as terrorist intentions. Sorry for the downer, but itā€™s that serious.

2 Likes

No one is deceiving anyone here. All the specs printed on the labels is exactly what these packs are. No more no less. Airlines give you specific requirements when it comes to battery packs. These packs strictly follow their guidelines, and are much more safe than some shitty lipos from china that people bring for their drones every day.

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome for giving you advanced warning. You might as well smuggle a homemade gun in your carry-on with a fake license. Good luck if you want to take your battery packs on a passenger plane. If you get caught, youā€™ll probably fk it up for everyone as well. Read up on UN 38.3.

1 Like

I am not interested in shipping my batteries anywhere in the world, and thatā€™s what the UN 38.3 regulations were made for. The only document I care about is the one from FAA that tells you what you can take as a carry on luggage on a plane. https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

I had this exact conversation with two expert/consultants in the battery industry so I can avoid the $15K certification cost and 4-8wks of testing. Just be careful. Iā€™d hate to see an esk8 enthusiast getting into serious trouble.

I understand where you are coming from, but there are different regulations for what can be shipped by airlines in a checked luggage and what you can take as a passenger as a carry on for your own personal use.

The pdf you posted is a brief summary of this gigantic regulation book: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=bba5ad06518b529c94e1d67a3270196b&ty=HTML&h=L&r=SECTION&n=49y2.1.1.3.12.1.25.5

ā€œā€¦portable electronic devices (e.g., watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, laptop and notebook computers, camcorders, medical devices etc.) containing dry cells or dry batteries (including lithium cells or batteries) and spare dry cells or batteries for these devices, when carried by passengers or crew members for personal use. Portable electronic devices powered by lithium batteries may be carried in either checked or carry-on baggage. Spare lithium batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. Each installed or spare lithium battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, Sub-section 38.3 and each spare lithium battery must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits ā€¦ā€

UN manual of tests and criteriaā€¦ Can be found here http://www.batteryuniversity.eu/?dFHASH=4a213d37242bdcad8e7300e202e7caa4

Actually there are several companies that can do the tests for you and I believe they do not cost 15k. I will email http://www.batteryuniversity.eu/Tests/UN-383/EN_index_1108.html asking a quotation for battery tests and wil let you know.

2 Likes

Most test facilities require 24 identical battery packs for testing that you will not get back. Testing takes 6-8 weeks and it still costs several thousands

Would he need to pass tests considering I could make a similar pack, spot welded myself, and get on the plane with it.

Law is very clear about this topic: all batteries must be OF A TYPE that passed the tests. ā€œOf a typeā€ means that not every single battery must be tested. Instead ,as @PXSS said, you have to prove to be able to mantain a quality standard throughout your production process by sending them quite a lot of SAMPLES.

In reality this will happen: Out of 1 000 000 airplane trips you make, 999 999 times you will have a smooth and undisturbed flight. The reason regulations exists are for the 1 airplane trip when something unfortunate happens. This time airline company will blame you. You will have some backup if you did the tests. You will be fucked if you skipped those tests.

1 Like

What would make this guys pack more problematic to take on plane than something I make myself? Because he sells it? (Donā€™t know if he has plans to do that). I assume if I solder or weld a couple cells together itā€™s not an issue getting on a plane as they let me on with my lipos plugged together.

Every company that sells something with spot welded Li-ion cells inside surely isnā€™t subject to testing. No?

Yes they are. And if you modify batteries in any shape or form then so are you if you want to fly with them

1 Like

Can you upload the decal graphics to the photo sections I feel like swinging it for a trip to Dominican Republic.

This means nothing. Still illegal.

@Kaly, just FYI, this is still ILLEGAL Take it however you want to

2 Likes