Trideck build possibilities

That looks perfect! I got my Trideck, and the dropout on mine is a little less than 100mm, around 96mm. Close enough that I can spread the rear forks apart. I’m now thinking of running a VESC and 36v. I have found some slim battery packs that will fit between the frame rails under the deck and I’ll mount an aluminum plate below that to protect the batt and electronics.

How do you like the turning radius of the TriDeck? I’m a little concerned, especially without the pole/handle in place…

Ya I’m thinking vesc at 36v sound pretty good, and I’ve got a spare vesc sit around for it.

The new deck is a little less then 1" wider then the original deck. I’m hoping the extra inch will let me put a bit more leverage on the front truck, and help it turn a bit better. If that doesn’t fix it I’ll leave a little nub of a handle just for when I need to make extra hard turn. Maybe I’ll mount the battery and elctronic to it.

The king pin is a little troubling and will be a pain in the ass to replace it you can’t get s new one from the manufacture. Not impossible but your need a drill press, and a stick welder at the minimum.

The drop out is likely the same on mine. I didn’t use calipers when I checked it. But ya it will be easy to cold set it to fit a 100mm hub motor.

Been looking for a motor that will fit the drop out of the Trideck, and have a hard time finding anything that will fit well. So Ive ordered these dropout adapters for fixie gear bikes. These should give be about 5 millimetres more to the dropout, and will rise/lower the rear axial about a inch. This should give me a few more choices in the motor department. Alibaba is your friend when it comes to hub motor shopping, and double check your measurements. .

This is a torque arm for electric bicycle. They helps to reinforce the dropout, and keeps the motor from rotating in the dropouts. Pretty cheap and a good idea on this type of build.

All it would take a is couple tube clamps and a cheap motorcycle steering damper, and you would have a better high-speed set up.

Did you end up buying the hub motor you posted only to find it didn’t fit, or are you going another way?

I ordered the phub-199, and it should be delivered today. I also got a set of torque arms for it. I’ll post a update when I get a chance to test fit it. I also have a set of dropout adaptors so between those and and some spacers I should be able to fit the motor no matter what.

Ok, I did a test fit today, and it won’t fit the stock dropouts with out a set of adapter plates of some sort and, or, some welding. I was kinda of expecting to need to make adapter plates to fit this monster anyhow. Really I just to to rise the mounting points for the hub motor up about 1/2 of a inch to get it to fit.

I did look at a few smaller motors with better clearances but they had low watt/amp rating, and were physically smaller then this motor so I passed on them. I wanted something with a bit more pep. I’m hoping that a physically larger mass means the phub-199 will handle heat better. I want to run as many amps as i can. Maybe 30amps?

I’ve been fooling around with the electric bike simulator, and it seems that the more amps you run the less hills slow you down and the faster you get up to speed. I’m planing to run this motor at a minimum of 28amps, and it will pull around 1008watt up hill, and 510watt on the flats. It will have a range of about 27km at full throttle, and 50km at 75% throttle.

This thing is heavy. I’m really staring to think about mounting the battery over the front wheels to try to balance it out a bit.

I’ll post pics when the adapters are done.

That’s some huge range. Can’t wait to see how the hub motor looks installed. I’m still debating a 6374 and belt drive… I don’t really need more than about 15-20 mph, and range is not an issue. I’ve been using it a lot with my dogs and having a blast, can’t wait to get it powered up. (Or for Spring to arrive!) Thanks for the updates.

Sounds like you could get away with one of the smaller hubs. I looked at the outrunner with a belt or chain. I liked the idea of adjustable gearing you get with that setup, and I had a few ideas for a motor mount for the outrunner but… Anyways here’s a small update. I’ve got the dropout adaptor, and just did a very rough test fit.

It looks like it will fit just fine. The adaptor need a tinny bit of grinding for clearance. I’ll fit it properly when I get a chance and post a update.

2 Likes

I had to sign up purely to ask if you have any updates. Such a great idea for a build, I really want to see how it turns out.

Did the width of the forks contribute to the clearance issues, since it looks like they extend past that little triangular attachment? Or was the motor simply too wide?

1537457080281564357826 So I’ve made some progress and things are looking pretty good. I need to make some ultra low profile bolds to hold the dropout adaptors. Basicly cut down the heads of a few bolts tell they are about 2mm or so thick, and cut slots for a flat head screwdriver. I’ll work on the bolts some more. I’ve cut them down a but but they need more work beacuse they are rubbing.

1 Like

FB_IMG_1537768190838FB_IMG_1538189917780 FB_IMG_1538189936909 FB_IMG_1538189946332 So its all mounted. It was a tight fit. The rear wheel is about 3mm of centers to the frame, and this was just a little troubling to me.

I searched motorcycle forums and it turns out that this is pretty common on all kinds of bikes, and my hub motor falls well with in the offsets seen in these models. So I’ll go with it.

4 Likes

COOL!!! Looks fun. Got to ride it yet.

No haven’t ridden. I dont have a battery or vesc, and it needs just a little more tinkering yet.

Oh man this looks awesome lol maybe will sell my old scooter and buy one of these 20180514_110638

3 Likes

If you’re interested they run a back friday sale. Thinks its will be like 20% off with free shipping. Should save you like $50 on the list price.

1 Like

Oh hell yea just didnt want to wait till November still its around the corner and will give me time to save hahaha awesome

My question is are the dropout adaptors and torque arms REALLY needed? Ive added longer wheels on bicycles before without the adaptors and scooters too if its already offset by 3mm then maybe just bending the rear fork just a bit wont hurt but will the hub motor axle fit in the regular forks?

Well the dropouts are just under 100mm, but the bearings housing rub the fork arms if you mount them in the original dropouts. So for this motor I had to rise the dropouts by 1/2in or so to clear the frame. It would be possible to machine away some of the housings, but I dont own a lathe.

As for the torque arms, well not strictly necessary it does make the whole dropout adaptors set up safer. If you find a hub motor that fits stock I’d still use torque alarms if you push more then 1000w. This seems to be the prevailing recommendations I’ve seen on ebike forums.