Tuning vesc, shutdown but no fault code..SOLVED

just quick question, running 3s2p 5000mah each, range is enough but I want more speed so do I just increase mah rating and do i have to change bms and esc?

you can do a few things to increase speed:

• you could increase your voltage, which would require more lipos in series, a different BMS, possibly the same ESC depending on how far you go
  • you could fiddle with your pulley ratios and find either bigger motor pulleys or smaller wheels pulleys or both,
  • get taller wheels
  • get higher KV motors. At 6S you can run up to 270-300kv no problem. I ran NTM prop drive 270KVs for a long time. Great motors if you can find them.
  • some combination of all of the above
1 Like

What if i just go from 5000mah to 5800mah

that would increase range slightly but not speed.

This is what I just rode with my setup, 2x3s 5000 mAh, and the vesc just hit the soft stop for voltage so I have maybe another 1/2 mile before I hit the hard stop.

Rode the board to work and back today so the upgrade to 8000mAh batteries certainly helped! I am happy with the range but would like a little more torque. Losing some top speed is fine being I currently max out at 21mph but rarely hit 19mph as it is. Would a gearing change help accomplish this?

You can get smaller diameter wheels. Going from 90mm to 83mm will drop 2 mph. You can also change to a 14T Drive gear or a 40T slave pulley. This would give you ~18 mph. All options will give you more torque. @SolidSurfer sells some 14T gears and probably the cheapest option.

Im currently running 83m wheels and 16/36 gears

Can go 83mm to 76mm which will also drop 2 mph. 14T Drive gear and 40T slave pulley still stands. Oh forgot to mention you can do any combination of these for even more torque. Doing all three at once will drop your speed to ~15mph.

Think Im gonna try ordering the 14t motor gear and see how that does. I can already take off without pushing but the board comes to a slow roll up a good size hill.

Where did you source the 8Ah batteries?

Flightmax 30c hobbyKing 8ah 3s and 2s

1 Like

Hobby king

Just beat u. After hours of hobbyKing window shopping they seem the best

Iā€™m happy with them! Iā€™m dying to go dual motors and voltage increase but I need to be thankful for what I have! Iā€™m 250lbs and I have a board pushing me over 7 miles of decent hills.

go 10s. you can up your motor amps much more too and it gives way more low speed torque and acceleration at slower speeds. i dont think anyone will balk if you doā€¦160!!! so they say on the vesc makerā€™s forum.

Iā€™ve got a tacon160 without bearings you can have for 20$. never used just sits here. took it apart and lost the bearings. also have a motor mount that goes with it Iā€™ll give you for 20 thatā€™s permanently attached to the hanger. Iā€™ll post pics

Iā€™m interested

iā€™ll post in 5 are you in san fran bay area possibly. hate shipping

Uploadingā€¦

the mount is the last one I have and maybe that 's a long shot that youā€™d want it but the motor is scratch-free and just has wax on itā€¦designed the mount around the motor and cast it on. mount still needs to be drilled and requires an exact belt and pulley combo. Motor is as good as new just needs to be cleaned and the bearings and the tiny set screw for the shaft. 20 for either. mount needs some sanding and smoothing too and itā€™d look nice

Thats a pretty cool mount. Am I wrong or is there no way to order parts for these motors? I cannot find a link to buy the bearings to put the motor back together.