[UK, London] looking for spot welder in central london / group buy VTC6 closed

Hello. Any advice for a spot welder in central london ? I tried at london hackspace but it doesn’t work well…

I’m also interested. If we can’t find a place I will get a diy arduino spot welder + 40A car battery but that will take a while.

Build it!! :smiley:

Thanks - i know but I just need to finish 1 pack - not sure I need one at home :slight_smile:

Can you give me the total cost for this DIY solution ?

Get hold of a second hand 12v battery that can output at least 200A - £5-£25 12v Starter Solenoid [ebay] - £9.99 16mm2 cable [ebay] - £3.89 2mm solid core Twin & Earth [0.5m ebay] - £0.99 Large electrical connector (chocolate box) - £0.99 Momentary push button swtich [ebay] - £0.99

2 Likes

I did not know that a solution like this was possible ! It seems easier and cheaper than the arduino solution

1 Like

why does the one at hackspace not work well?

no, it was a cheap Chinese spot welder, not enough powerful for good weld

Hi - did you end up making one of these spot welders? I have 30x 30Q batteries and the nickel to weld them together, now just assessing my options on whether to build something like this or explore other avenues…

Hey, I’m in the same boat. Got 48 x 30Q to make into a 12S4P, along with the nickel strip and I’m in London.

no, I was in a fablab in hackney but it is now closed

@JonathanLau1983 I’ve just ordered most of the items on the DIY list, so there may be one available soonish…

@darkkevind - thank you for the shopping list, encouragement and video - are you able to offer any further assistance closer to the time of manufacture if I have any questions?! I will be doing lots of learning before then!

1 Like

I’m in a similar position, got a few bits but I’ve been scouring Gumtree and Ebay tryign to find a second battery to do the job. I’m in West London, where abouts are you?

South West - Brixton sort of area.

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/uk-spot-welder-for-sale/51872

1 Like

Sorry man forgot to update that. It’s sold now

1 Like

Ah, brother lives in Camberwell so I’m occasionally in the area. Let me know how you get on with your build

I’m going to go another route with my spot welder. Going to use a Microwave transformer and a small relay timer board to build a welder. Relay board will turn on the transformer instead of trying to handle the high welding current so it should work well. I’ll be able to control the pulse time from 0.1seconds onwards.

2 Likes

They look impressive, control on the pulse length is useful. Document it if you can, I’m intrigued to see how it goes!