Under The Sea - V2 | 400wh 12s Lipo | Dual 5065 140kv | Maytech Vesc | Torque218 trucks | GT2B Buffalo | 97mm wheels | Commuter

If you want waterproof electronics, get some CorrosionX and dip it in that, I can vouch for it. Got caught in a downpour during a ride which filled my enclosure with water, nothing happened to the electronics, still alive and kicking a year later.

2 Likes

I would if it was available here.

I was thinking of maybe using this silicone spray conformal coating But I wouldn’t be able to coat the connectors and usb? It might be really hard to remove for repairs too but Im ok with that if it means I dont need to do repairs in the first place.

Exciting development, I got a little free time with a laser cutter and made this custom grip tape. :astonished: I will be re-painting the board this weekend weather permitting and then applying the new tape. :yum:

3 Likes

What’s that red stuff you sprayed on your vesc in the other thread?

It’s a conformal coating from RS Components. Silicon based in a spray can. The link is two posts up. Im trying for 100% water proof as it rains a lot here. I removed the connectors as I didn’t want water to be able to get under them.

Some tips if anyone gets this one, the nozzle blocks like instantly i had to drill it out to get it to work, also wear gloves as it’s really hard to remove from finger nails. It’s resistant to most solvents :worried:

3 Likes

I hope you made it so you can still access your vesc through the usb connector…

Yeah I put blue tack inside the bullets and usb. I kinda wish I could get rid of the USB port because its the only element I can’t 100% water proof.

Update, paint is done. I would have never gone with this color but it kinda matched the wheels. Now just need to re-wire all the electronics and install in the new lunch box. I got a larger one as the small one was a pain in the ar**s and this one is higher quality so I hope its water tightness is better.

The vesc’s now have two coats of conformal coating.

2 Likes

“I feel like I tripped into a deep rabit hole I was not ready for”

*Edit, at this point it started to be a lot more work then I was expecting. Painting was fairly painless but re-wiring all the electronics was a PITA. :persevere:

1 Like

excited to see how this grip tape looks on the board!

Almost moving under its own power! Been more than a week without ridding it I’m starting to get the shakes.

Fraken caps! I had a spare vesc and since my battery wires are no longer short I thought why not add 50% more caps?

After this it was shrink wrapped.

1 Like

6 Likes

Update on water proofing; had a week of heavy rain to test it. :cloud_rain::cloud_lightning:It has been working good, the lunch box keeps out all water with light rain and wet roads but if there are puddles everywhere then a small amount of water makes it past the seal. :sweat_drops: Hitting puddles at high speed does not help, but its so fun. :stuck_out_tongue: To prevent the small amount of water getting on the vesc’s I put in some paper towel on heavy flow days :flushed: which absorbs it.

While the conformal coating should give me good water proofing I decided to go an extra step and cover the vescs in a thick shrink wrap and hot glue the ends so they are totally sealed. Its very much over kill and I think I should be able to run them under water with this setup. :ocean: It also protects them physically and makes them easier to mount. I can stick 3M velcro to them.

One note that my wheel bearings started to be a bit noisier than normal so I took them out an repacked with grease. The motors are still smooth though so that’s good.

The build is pretty much complete now I just need to make one more post with before and after pictures, I didn’t take any photos of the under side yet. After that I will start a new thread as I have started to order more parts for a new build. I had to get a new deck as this drop through one has not taken the abuse well. Getting something higher quality, US made top mount down hill style deck. Should be way more durable. This seller has $20 international shipping which is awesome. *Edit; the shipping was better than expected, the last leg was shipped with fedex and it came in 10 days. Normally companies ship USPS International and it takes minimum 3 weeks and there is no tracking after it leaves the US, highly recommend this seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARBOR-Longboard-Deck-HIGHGROUND-10-034-x-36-034-/371920754201?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

1 Like

Final update: Before and afters.

This rebuild all started because I wanted a more reasonable gear ratio , 4:1 with 270kv on 12s did work but the 12 tooth motor pulley would wear out super quickly, once worn it would strip belts. So I found some lower KV motors. Then discovered they didn’t fit my truck, needed wider trucks. None where available until Torque boards released their 218’s. At this point I was like well I might as well put a bit more effort in and lower the battery and paint it so it looks decent. The look is much improved but the drop through area started to crack from all the abuse and water running. So its reinforced with an aluminum plate so I can get a month or so more use out of it while I get a new deck.

As for how it handles and performance. The wider trucks are more stable in tight turns :heart_eyes: but are more zig zaggy on uneven ground due to being more effected by bumps. If you have a ridden evolve its like that but much less obvious. The new motors are quieter and make a really nice sound I use BLDC. Being sensored they have smoother take off, much smoother braking to stand still. Maybe its the Kv but the breaks are also stronger even with 50% reduction in gear ratio. These motors also have much less drag.

So I went from 4:1 - 270kv to 2:1 140kv, motors being same size but different brands. Overall performance is very similar besides the above mentioned characteristics.

1 Like

Do you have heating problems with the vesc completely covered like this?

I have the each vesc limited to 500w, they get warm but don’t hit the temp limit. I’m sure if a had a long and steep enough hill I could prob hit the temp limit but have not found one yet.

Im officially done with adding content to this thread but are happy to answer any questions ??? Just going to drop a sneak peak of the next build, thread coming soon. :wink: I’m very happy with this find 2015 Arbor | Highland, downhill racing deck.

6 Likes

That deck is beautiful.

1 Like

Just want to add that I rode through a 4 inch deep and it was fine! So waterproofing win! It was dark and I didnt realize how deep it was. hehe. Also want to drop a link to the new build, it uses the same electronics.

1 Like

Beautiful deck, can I see it with Torqueboards 218mm trucks installed?