Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

@Wajdi I like the orange / black. For orders will you charge more for different colors?

Also when will your code be available or is it not going to be available for people to modify / etc…? Great work… Two thumbs up.

I only have black filament for now, I will start offering more colors during the next batch, and it will be free of charge.

I might release the source code in the future when I get some time to clean it up, right now it is not developer friendly at all :grinning:

1 Like

Wajdi - Any idea on shipping dates ?

Cheers

@Wajdi can I actually place an order yet or no? I’m still on the fence about whether to get a ready to use one or the kit.

@SkaterBoy58 Im waiting for micro USB cables to be delivered, I will include those with every order.

Depending on how fast the remaining parts will get to me, I would say about a week.

Things I finished implementing:

• A reacting LED effect depending on throttle input, when throttle is half way LED will be half brightness, etc…, LED brightness will fade to current throttle percentage.
  • Reacting LED effect depending on Temperature, LEDs color will fade to RED when PCB temperature rises, and BLUE when it’s cool.
  • Reacting LED effect depending on throttle state, BLUE when accelerating, and RED when braking.
  • Receiver will save and remember your settings.
  • Added an option on the remote to limit throttle by percentage, useful for kids or someone that just started learning. Even if throttle is pushed all the way, it will only register value up to the specified percentage.

@High-roller You can place an order as I’m about to wrap up the first batch. I will add a kit option in about a week or so.

1 Like

Great! Can you post the link to your order page?

What is the possibility of adding a bell? Like the metroboard has, except with the piezo on the remote and not the board. On a button pressed by index finger

@High-roller http://www.eboardshop.net @b264, There is a custom button on the remote, if you push on the joystick, it will set a digital pin on the receiver to control things like bells, etc. But if you want the actual piezo to be on the remote, it will require some work. The remote has a built in micro piezo but its not loud enough to act as a bell.

Is there any blank space or a void inside under where the index finger sits?

The index finger will normally sit on the cruise control/ kill switch button. Perhaps you can hack that button to dual task between cruise control and buzzer.

Just ordered, looks great!

Will software updates be possible?

And do you mind explaining all the onscreen information?

Yes, software updates will be possible on the remote, however the receiver requires more involvement due to the lack of USB port.

5 Likes

So i guess it need a programmer ? what kind ?

-> Board Battery Is it converted from the battery Voltage or Joule-measurement([mAh total - used]%)? If a had a wish for free, i wish it would be the Joule-measurement. Sure, that would need a settings entry for the total battery capacity. But, in my opinion, its the best thing you can do - and this remote is one of the best ;-)!

-> VESC Temp Does it displays two Temp if there are two vesc(via can-bus)?

-> Throttle Level I would line up the throttle-lines (semi-circle) with the numbers (25,50,…). Just a detail. Even without this, this is great and i’m lucky when i got mine in hands ^^!

Great illustration!

The fuel guage looking half circle, is that the boards battery?

SWD programmer, STLinkv2 bootloader?

I would have to admit the @Ackmaniac FW functionality seems second to none, would be a shame if not able to integrate. Things like the throttle curves for braking and acceleration and drive modes on the fly take your feature sets and expands dramatically.

1 Like

@notger Im using Segger J-link, JTAG SWD interface.

@advongunten For the Board battery, it currently calculates the percentage based on the battery voltage, however I like your suggestion, I think Joule measurement would be more stable because it doesn’t rely on battery voltage. It would require an additional input value for the total AH but I think its worth it. Thanks.

About Vesc Temp, it should display the temperature of the master VESC if two are connected through CAN bus.

About that semi circle UI, I initially designed it to map the throttle value on the half circle, however after many testing, I found that it impacts the performance of the CPU and imposes a great delay on the main logic loop. So I disabled that temporarily until I find a better solution. The performance issue is coming from the display library, filling that half circle would require drawing and removing several lines, and that slows down the logic loop. I even pre mapped the values to memory to eliminate the mathematical calculations involved, but it’s still not enough. I try to keep the logic loop as fast as possible with minimal delays to have a blinking fast transmission and response, and to keep FHSS synchronized with the receiver.

1 Like

@caustin My remote should be compatible with his firmware, I will do a test today and let you know for sure. As long as the UART ptotocols are the same as the original firmware, it should work with no problems.

1 Like