Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

SteezyRF

@Wajdi lol :slight_smile:

Not bad :slight_smile: My current tempting name is Photon-X remote, what you think? PS: I just added reverse option to the remote :grinning: its working great!

1 Like

Maybe just Photon, and then save the x for a future version =D. I think Photon sounds good :slight_smile:

How does Reverse work ? as example in ackmaniacs Firmware reverse works like a double-brake, the board just has to be under a certain and adjustable forward speed. otherwise your wheels will start spinning backward while you are actually going forward. (thats the case in the standard VESC Firmware)

@wajdi that’s beautiful ! can you post which led strips did you use ?

1 Like

@Aborn Sounds good! @notger The trigger on the back of the remote is programmable through the menu, it can be a cruise control, safety switch, or reverse. In case of reverse, you push it once to change direction. If you happen to be already going at a certain speed while you pushed it, the board will start braking but your wheels won’t start spinning backward. @NAF Thanks! The receiver can drive any WS2812B RGB LED, just make sure its a WS2812B and runs at 5V. Also if the LED strip does not exceed 31 pixels, it can be powered from the receiver directly with no need of external power source.

1 Like

Thanks for building my new remote. I’m going to need a few of these.

2 Likes

Ultron lol 10 chars

That is just…frak I don’t know what to say. Phenomenal. I pre-ordered one. When do you think they will ship?

3 Likes

Haha, hoping they are FIFO

1 Like

@Wajdi

So the DIY (print) Remote Kit (mostly interesting for Europeans) is sill postponed ? are you still developing teh Remote Firmware or what is stopping you from selling them ? and are you actually in contayt with @Ackmaniac about potential power.profile control, I mean that would make this Remote so amazing.

And another fancy addition concerning the LED feature would be to add an brake-light option so maybe that a separate red backlight or all the leds are turning red in case of braking ?

2 Likes

@Wajdi Is there anyway to make the remote work with several of your receivers as part of a Model Memory or E-Skate Memory? The remote looks great already but I’d be in for sure if I could buy one remote and a few receivers. As far as I know there is no other E-Skate remote with that feature. I bet you’d sell more remotes and a ton of extra receivers if you could make it work.

I just implemented a re-binding function inspired from the discussion of the firefly remote. It is necessary for people that want to use multiple receivers on the same remote. What was mostly stopping me from sending out the remotes is software improvement and testing.

Today I finished assembling the first 10 remotes!

3 Likes

@Dizzee What do you mean by Model Memory? You can bind several receivers to the same remote, but incoming telemetry data will be randomly alternating.

@Wajdi The Model Memory allows you to save and recall everything you need to make switching between vehicles painless. Just select the stored vehicle from a list on the controller, that was previously configured and stored by the user, and you’re ready to go without having to rebind or change anything else. In our case it could save the bound receiver along with the controller configuration. On the controller side all settings would be saved and stored so our button mapping, lighting schemes and so on can be instantly recalled. It was a major innovation when it was first introduced to the RC world. Once you experience it you’ll never want to give it up. Take a look at how it was done on the FrSky Taranis or even an old Spectrum DX6i for examples of use. The Taranis uses opensource software so a peek at their coding may also help. I know you can’t just copy it but it may give you some ideas. I really wish I had the patience for coding. It seems like such a cool way to create. My head just doesn’t seem to be wired for it.

Call it “Widebody”

i just ordered two of these.

Also I agree, Photon is a killer name and just rolls off the tounge. ITs very sticky. Its already kind of branded in my head, so you know its good.

2 Likes

@caustin Yes they are :slight_smile:

@notger I already implemented that feature, its called reactive effect, when you brake it turns your LEDs to red. Look by the end of the video to see it. About the kit option it still happening. I will announce it when its available. Very soon.

@Dizzee If I understand correctly, by Model Memory you mean saving user preferences? in that case thats already implemented in both the receiver and the remote. Any changes to lightening effects, sensitivity, stats, bindings, are all saved in in the micro controller memory.

@b264 Thanks but I will stick with Photon :grin:

@longhairedboy Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Soooo shipping this week like ya said right ? :slight_smile:

1 Like